Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roguelikes....  (Read 1673 times)

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roguelikes....
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:51:00 am »

Are there any other roguelikes with a similiar combat system that Dwarf Fortress utilizes for Wrestling? An example would be a similiar wrestling system, but in addition, you would 'target' specific parts to attack, (instead of just 'bumping' into the enemy)?

Kayla

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelikes....
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:35:00 am »

I've never tried this rogue-like game out, but it appears to have a melee styled (not wrestling) targeting system.  Or maybe it's range...  I really am not sure... supposed to come out in the next version.
http://www.asciisector.net/

'bump' ㅋㅋㅋ

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: RustedAxe ]

hughjarse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

I must have played 99% RL's out there and have only come across one that comes close,
its called Incursion or Incursion of the goblin halls or king or somin.

Its still beta but is pretty good stuff.And free.

rr....?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:56:00 am »

Incursion has D&D style grapple. It's worth a try, it will be a pretty good rogue-like.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

I'm trying out incursion. The reason I asked is, I am working on (so far, just the design guide, and it may or may not stay there forever), an action RPG (if ever made, probaly somewhat like an roguelike), with a create-a-spell system, using dynamic elements and combining them to create spells. The problem with that is, I didn't want to limit the players to only mages, but if I allowed warriors and other classes, I wanted to figure out how to give them some of the 'create' loving.

SkeleTony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://http://home.earthlink.net/~skeptic69/index.html
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

Doesn't have grappling but the most detailed combat system this side of Jagged Alliance 2 can be found in THIS ROGUELIKE. It is a graphical and party-based RL that allows for everything from two-weapon fighting to feints & parries and also targeting specific areas. For example you can aim your attacks for the "vital organs" or the "hands" or "head" at various skill penalties.
Though it does not have grappling it DOES have the monk class which has powerful unarmed combat abilities(for the most part just much greater chance of doing critical/lethal damage(and more frequently) with unarmed attacks).

It would be interesting to see someone come up with a melee system that allowed for melee types to learn skills/talents/feats that allowed for nifty attack/defense maneuvers and derivative skills/talents/whatever that allowed for even more etc. That is in no way original but would be cool to see in a RL game.

quot;I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know"-James Randi