Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Herland (QAGS manual) has finally been published!  (Read 2933 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Herland (QAGS manual) has finally been published!
« on: November 15, 2008, 04:29:15 am »

Hello, everybody!  Writing from Switzerland during one of my few breaks to let you know that the game manual I went on about for a while about a year ago has finally been published.  Those of you who participated in my QAGS game already know the rules, and here is a new setting for you all.

I hope Toady doesn't mind me plugging a bit here, but since I had players on this forum who wanted to know when the book was out, I figured I'd let you all know.

The web site for the QAGS game is www.hexgames.com, and you can buy the game manual "Herland: Perfect Genetic Utopia" at DriveThruRPG.com or at a bunch of other sites listed on the Hex Games site.  It's only $4 for a PDF download.

This thing has been long in the making and I'm very proud of it.  It's a pretty obscure gaming system so I certainly don't expect to be making a bundle of money on it, but if anyone is interested in an original game setting (which can easily be applied to other game systems if need be), have a look!

Also, I almost never have spare time to play DF anymore, but I miss chatting with you all on a regular basis.  Hope things are going well for everyone!

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
Re: Herland (QAGS manual) has finally been published!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:56:40 am »

Nice! I especially love the school textbook part. Just one thing; is it a coincidence or intentional that your game manual shares its name with this?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:18:12 am »

A little of both.  I knew about the short story before I wrote this, and in fact I'm a huge fan of it.  Herland sounded like the best name, and since the story is in the public domain my editor said it was fine to use the name.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:27:18 am »

[...]And if that doesn't draw you in, how about this: all of the PCs must be female.

This setting, designed for use with the QAGS 2nd Edition rules, is the perfect choice for players who want a role-playing challenge, crossdressers, and transsexuals, as well as GMs who want to mix it up a little or force their players to be a little more compassionate.

*facepalm*
It sounds interesting, but... is stereotyping ALL roleplayers as male the way to go?  I mean, presumably this isn't going to be as much of a challenge for actual women, but (ironically?) they don't seem to be represented at all.

I'm not trying to slate the game or even the sentiment, I just can't help cringing at the underlying assumption.  Am I being over-sensitive?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:56:43 am by McDoomhammer »
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:31:51 am »

I don't think he's steryotyping... infact its kinda sexist to think that women wouldn't want to play crossdressers/transexuals etc. etc. But nice one, I'll have ot check it out. Even though i never played it I'm an avid RPGer irl.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 10:48:25 am »

I don't think he's steryotyping... infact its kinda sexist to think that women wouldn't want to play crossdressers/transexuals etc. etc. But nice one, I'll have ot check it out. Even though i never played it I'm an avid RPGer irl.

She if you mean Sappho.  I didn't mean to imply that, anyway, and the next paragraph of the page I quoted smooths it over somewhat.  I was just twitching at the fact that the bit I did quote seemed to be speaking to an entirely male implied audience.

Plus it seems to be talking about crossdressing/TS PLAYERS, rather than characters.

EDIT 2:  Also, it seems I left out some vital context for the point I was trying to make.  Oops.  :-[  fixed now.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:57:11 am by McDoomhammer »
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 02:02:26 pm »

Well, the vast majority of tabletop game players *are* male, so it's a fair stereotype to make.  However, being female myself, I'm certainly not implying that all are male.  In fact, as I explain in the author's note / disclaimer at the beginning of the book, I poke a lot of fun at stereotypes for the sake of humor.  So it's intentionally a little over-the-top.  People familiar with this particular game are probably already used to this type of humor, but for those who are reading it for the first time, no worries.  It's all in good fun.