Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I Suck at Warcraft III  (Read 5201 times)

Gulfd'An

Re: I Suck at Warcraft III
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

mabey easy acually means hard? try playing threw the campaign it should make you a bit better.....

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

A bit of practise is enough to beat the easy computer, then a tiny bit more for the hard one, but if you want to try playing multiplayer games, you pretty much have to see replays. I suggest www.wcreplays.com.  Download some replays involving the race you want to play, watch, see what's making them so good and try to include it in your own playing.
To watch replays, you need to have the latest version of the game (acquired by connecting on BNet), and to put the .w3g file in the warcraft III/replays directory.
The units you use in a specific game is up to you, the understanding of the complex rock-paper-scissor game the unit choice is come with time (and the knowledge of armor and attack types), but something really important in Warcraft 3 is the BO, or build order, which is basically what you do in the first minutes. More experienced, you will want to adapt it for you own tactic but starting by copying some skilled player one is enough. Try, as they do, not to lose time on this part of the game. It's actually very easy and gives you lots of precious seconds of creeping (killing neutral monsters for XP), rushing (attacking as fast as possible with few units), harassing (trying to kill workers, steal loots, steal kills or kill damaged units without engaging fight), or whatever you want to do.
Some to-do things :
Use the alt key. It's important.
Focus on one enemy unit at a time usually, unless it prevents your own units to attack. If one of his units is already damaged, finish it.
When one of your units is going to die, you should make it flee battle. Then you can either heal it later or make it return in the fight when it can attack without retaliation. If the enemy pursue your fleeing unit it can be good because, well, he won't be attacking you while doing so.
Try to kill the most annoying units, being usually the most damaging or the heroes, in priority, but don't lose too many troops doing so.

GL & HF, as they say.

[ January 10, 2008: Message edited by: Cyx ]

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jeon:
<STRONG>I am also terrible at playing the normal skirmish type games of Warcraft III.

I enjoy playing a lot of custom games online though.

I tried to work on gaining skill playing against an easy computer as well and kept losing...

So then I tried putting a normal computer on my team vs. the easy computer and kinda look at what the normal computer was doing.  Somehow, I managed to level up the easy computer's hero enough through my incompetance that he took out the normal computer and then me.  I gave up after that -_-

I find lots of the custom games to be much more fun, and I'm way better at most of them as well.</STRONG>

hahaha, holy crud.  An easy computer beat both of you guys! oh, I'm laughing too hard  :D

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

I think this should work against easy comp:
- pick orcs
- as soon as the game starts start building altar of storms, a burrow and barracks (I haven't played in ages so I'm not sure if you have enough money for this at start - if you don't, drop the barracks)
- send all free peons to gold
- make more peons, you need five on gold and after that new ones go to chop wood (I think you'll need something like 7-8)
- as soon as the altar is finished, start making a blade master
- if you haven't made barracks, make them as soon as you can and start making grunts, just don't forget you'll need burrows because they take a lot of pop space for a tier 1 unit
- when the blademaster emerges, upgrade wind walk and have him run straight to the opponent's base
- wreck havoc in opponent's base, concentrating on killing his gold miners (doesn't work so well against elves, so kill wood gatherers instead)
- if your blademaster gets attacked just enter wind walk and escape
- bring in the grunts from your base (which you should've kept producing the whole time - just set the barracks to a number hotkey to make this easier) and level his base, using windwalk to take out damaged units before they can get healing
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

I utterly detest Warcraft 3's "standard" multiplayer.  The first 3 minutes are all about following a prescribed build pattern (as above, to get that hero rush on the enemy's base and hurt their income) while simultaneously making army production possible.  The battles themselves are all about the micro, like making sure your units focus fire, retreating the units of yours that are being focused on if possible, oh and using spells.  That's a pain in the rear, especially for non-hero units.

In general it's just one huge clickfest.  The only real strategy involved is in what units you focus on.  The only skill is in how quickly and accurately you can focus fire and cast spells.  Sadly enough, all RTS games follow this formula.

On the bright side, Warcraft 3's custom games can be pretty fun and the editor it comes with is spectacular.  Neglecting downright stupid game design like DotA (you kill enemy hero, you gain gold, enemy hero looses gold _and_ opportunity to make gold and opportunity to gain exp, thus, he reemerges even easier to kill than before, thus clinching your victory), there are some custom games out there worth playing.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

Well, some people like clickfests. Though, to be honest, Starcraft did it much better with all those AoE "spells" with various effects. Playing Starcraft on slower speeds can be quite interesting as you have to outwit your opponent because he has time to react to sudden attacks. For example, Maelstrom + Psionic Storm is awesome against Zerg, but a bunch of zerglings can really spoil your plan.

And there are RTS games that aren't clickfests. AoE2:Age of Kings, for example, involves very little micromanagement, as the only castable ability is monk's conversion (which isn't all that useful when there's 50 knights coming your way). In AoK it's all about choosing what units to make, and where to send them. It still has build orders, though, but that's unavoidable. There's build orders in every game that features some sort of development. Heck, I even have a build order for DF (dig in, set up stockpiles, set up mason and carpenter, set up bedrooms, set up farming and still).

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChaosTheory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

While this is slightly off topic, some of you may be interested in this

Project Revolution

Full conversion mod for WC3, to turn it into..... StarCraft: Brood Wars.

Haven't played it yet, but they have a demo up for Terran.

quot;Sinister, it''s like diet evil" - Sinnyil
Pages: 1 [2]