Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allegiance  (Read 2112 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Allegiance
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

Best space game I've ever played is Allegiance.  It is notably difficult to learn to play, and is multiplayer only.  I was wondering if anyone on here plays it as well.

It is now free, too, and the cheating and hacking that almost killed it, has been solved.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allegiance
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

I used to play it. It's certainly the best implementation of a MMORTS I've seen. But I never really had the time to play it, and those people who had played were the kind that didn't take well to newbies coming along and not immediately being as good as them. They weren't aggressive, just... distant.

But that's the players, not the game. I did enjoy it ^_^

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

I didn't like the controls, they had this weird sensitivity thing going on where you couldn't move less than a certain tiny distance, which made it hard to aim.
Shoes...

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

I can find videos of alleigance, manuals on allegiance, websites about alleigance, the freaking source code of alleigance, but I can't find the actual game.

Where do you download it?

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

A google search gives me everything but the actual website D=

Downloaded and played the actual game...

I don't really like it, its nearly impossible to "follow" a target, you kind of just swerve around in circles and loops.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Wooty ]

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 03:46:00 am »

Cthulhu, Don't fly with the keyboard.  About half the playerbase flies with their mouse via virtual joystick, and the other half flies with a joystick.  You basically then move your mouse around to turn.  numpad 0 toggles, and so does escape-g-c.  Pick either one, but don't fly with the keyboard.  Do use the keyboard for your sidethrusters though, so you can dodge.

Wooty, I would have been very surprised if anyone who hasn't played it really likes it out of the box.  It doesn't really have much attraction until you get online and figure out that it isn't a FPS at all.

Dasleah, Yeah that is how it goes.  If everyone was like that though, there wouldn't be an Allegiance Academy, or a Cadet program, or squad matches.  If you keep your eyes open, and don't talk back to the team commander, things should go smoothly.  Remember, all new players get a number at the end of their callsign, so people won't worry if you aren't contributing for the first few weeks.