Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Creatures Series  (Read 6328 times)

BathosAndPathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Creatures Series
« on: May 23, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

You know that feeling that you get when a dwarf starts being stupid, and waits for something to get it whilst "running away"? Now you can replicate it with pretty graphics and cute animal type things.

The game's highly moddable, and has it's inbuilt CAOS-based coding system. It's MEANT to be fairly easily to learn, but hard to master, but I've not touched it.

Docking Station is the online version of Creatures 3, and it's free. It's missing lots of features from C3, but it's worth it, since there're these things called torrents...

But, I digress. Here's the link:- http://www.gamewaredevelopment.co.uk/ds/ds_index.php

Add me if you download it and get an account, the name's the same as on here. See you on the Capitilla!

I've got all the packs except banshee grendels, by the way, so contact me if you want something other than them. Hint hint.

The wiki for Creatures:- http://creatures.wikia.com/wiki/Creatures_Wiki_Homepage

And, a few screenshots:-

I make no sense in this post.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The Creatures Series
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »

I once made a female grendel in Creatures 3...  I took two males and spliced them to make a female, and then waited for ye olde egg-popper to spew out another male so I could get a breeding pair.

That was part of my "jungleization" of the ship, where I introduced the invasive jungle-biome species to all the other compartments.

BathosAndPathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I once made a female grendel in Creatures 3...  I took two males and spliced them to make a female, and then waited for ye olde egg-popper to spew out another male so I could get a breeding pair.

That was part of my "jungleization" of the ship, where I introduced the invasive jungle-biome species to all the other compartments.</STRONG>

I did this with one of my ships. Called it the "Drifting Ship" and made it my Darwinist wolfing run. xD Fast agers and immortals were weeded out by the tools of the gods! =D

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »

I bought the third one probably not too long after it came out. I remember countless hours of goofing off playing with the little buggers. It's good fun, not to mention all the stuff you can learn from it.
This is not a signature.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

As of yet I have no idea what this game is or what you do in it.  You people need to be more descriptive.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

I think it's like "(Spore / Tamagochi)*Lemmings" or something of the kind. What I remember is that the game's about raising these creatures (norns?) that live somewhere and learn of their surroundings. I never played any of the games though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

Meh, if they weren't so adorable, I'd try it.  If I end up hating Spore, it will be because of the cuteness.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

What's wrong with being cute? Ever seen Happy Tree Friends?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

But there're grendels! THey're not so cute!
Also even a cute norn if taught carefully can become a rude killer =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

It's essentially a sandbox.  You start up the game (and I'm going to use Creatures 3 as a reference point, as the others are just old and would confuse the matter) and are offered two choices.  One; start off with a breeding pair of adults.  This will create two norns who will wander around, eat cheese, give each other wild smacking kisses, and repeatedly kick the radio until the female gets pregnant and lays an egg.

After a long amount of time left unattended (the mother utterly ignores the egg after spitting it out), the egg will grow and eventually hatch into a bouncing baby norn, who will babble nonsense while eating cheese and repeatedly kicking the radio.  In order to understand your little one, you need to coax it into staying in the learning room while you run the language teacher on autopilot.  

In the old versions, it took a lot of hands-on training and repetition before they got a word, now you just have to make sure they stay in the room.  A cheese-dispenser is provided to help out, but it is recommended you stick a radio in there so they can kick it.  They will still learn even if they are utterly distracted.

Okay, now you've got an incredibly cute baby norn that can now express its thoughts and feelings.  You can now take on a hands-on approach to teaching it, or you can let it figure out stuff by itself.

Norns are born without any knowledge of their surroundings.  They have individual personalities, and some will bravely venture forth and interact with everything that they see in an attempt to figure out what it is and what it does.  This starts out with just hitting the object, but as a norn explores its own capabilities they will eventually push buttons, pick up objects, and try to eat inorganic material.

Their actions determine their future behavior, and so if they are left to their own devices they will develop habits.  Very strange habits, most of the time.

However, you also have an effect on norns.  You can lead them around by the hand (and if you manage to get them to work with you on getting one of the secrets, you can later pick them up and move them around more easily), tickle them, or slap them.  Your opinion of what they do has a very strong effect on their future actions, so you can quite easily train them to not constantly push the door control button, causing them to continually pop in and out of the corridor.  

You can set any number of goals for yourself.  Are you going to raise a large number of norns who will viciously punch the other inhabitants of the spaceship, so you can suppress the other life forms by force?  Are you going to nurture a small group of norns so that they not only have the ability to complete a myriad of complex tasks, but will also teach these things to their young?

Another big thing about Creatures is the incredibly complex genetics system.  It is possible to specifically breed norns to have certain traits, and although I was never much of a breeder I assume that they will at times have generations that contain mutations to the DNA.  You can, after a lot of hard work and time spent at the gene lab, create a strain of norns that are highly resistant -if not completely immune- to disease.  

One of the most sought-after traits is the ability to breathe underwater.  However, I don't think it is actually possible outside of a few special norns created specifically for Creatures 1.

But yes, they're all cute.  Even the "evil" grendels are cute.  And you can actually get quite attached to a particular creature, and be rather distraught when he finally can't live any longer.

On top of all this, there are also fun things to be had with various machine parts around the ship.  With a couple clicks, you can hook a wire from the creature-sensing pressure plate to the door, causing it to open whenever something steps on the plate (I was using this as a defense against hostile critters until one of the other alien lifeforms stole the pressure plate before it got booted out).  

I once made a hostile-destroyer, which was this floating platform that would hover around until it detected the lifeform it was geared for, whereupon it would sound an alarm, follow after it, and fire mud pellets from the closest thing the game had to an actual gun (it could kill creatures, however).

So, eh, yeah...  There's more to it, but I could go on for ages.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

I'd like to play creatures now but it's very complex and I think it'll be hard to learn it without a tutorial.
Sounds funny from a man who mastered DF? =)
But as long as creatures have community forums and wiki, I may try...
I mean I don't want to tickle and slap norns for ages.
I want to learn to create those "hostile floating killers" and play with genes in this age =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

According to the wiki, you only get one creature in the free game.

That, and not cuteness, is why I didn't play.

Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »

This is where torrents are fun.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »

I don't break t3h lawz.
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>I don't break t3h lawz.</STRONG>

You don't break anything when you do it PATRIOTICALLY.

Also I'm not that worried about the party van.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3