Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Good Old Games  (Read 38195 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Good Old Games
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2008, 06:00:52 pm »

I don't know if I like this new site.  I mean, what's going to happen to all of the abandonware sites?

Isn't free still better than cheap?
That's kind of like asking what will happen to all the *usual methods* sites, etc...

Abandonware is abandonware because it was "abandoned" by the initial publisher and game creator. Otherwise you're merely pirating an old game.

I bought off GOG to show support of OFP to Codemasters - obviously the games on GOG aren't abandonware, because GOG got the distribution rights from the original game publishers. If you want to support these "good old games" you might as well but if not, a pirate is you :P

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2008, 06:33:09 pm »

I don't know if I like this new site.  I mean, what's going to happen to all of the abandonware sites?

Isn't free still better than cheap?
First of all, not every game can get the GOG treatment for various reasons. There might be no methods available of getting them to run in XP/Vista without their source code (which may be lost or unavailable), their license owners may be unwilling to allow them to be sold on whatever conditions GOG puts out, etc.. So abandonware sites will always be able to cover games that really remain abandoned forever and they'll just keep the now-commercial entries there with downloads disabled (at least the abandonware sites that care to remain legal anyway).

Second, it's actually free and often troublesome versus cheap, trouble-free and with various extras. This would really interest me, for example, if they offered an XP-compatible WH40k: Chaos Gate, which apparently doesn't have any real XP fix anywhere, or maybe Star Fleet 2, which is out of synch on modern computers, even with DosBox, or perhaps Dungeon Keeper, which also has some speed problems with modern hardware. I consider it more like paying for making them playable on modern computers without problems than paying for the games themselves.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2008, 06:41:48 pm »

I didn't notice that they all run in XP and Vista.  I take my words back, $10.00 for a hack-less install is worth the price of admission.   ;D

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2008, 06:50:56 pm »

While time has no price, fifteen seconds of googling for a way to make a game work in xp is not worth ten dollars.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2008, 06:55:45 pm »

While time has no price, fifteen seconds of googling for a way to make a game work in xp is not worth ten dollars.
Except not every game has such a solution or the solution doesn't solve all problems. For example, getting certain dos games to run at an appropriate frame rate without sound stuttering at all times can be difficult to impossible.

EDIT: Although, for clarity, I haven't tried GOG myself yet, as I haven't seen a game I was interested in and wasn't able to run decently before (yet). I'm just going by what I've heard from others.

And going by what sorts of games they list, it's possible they'll never actually touch any of the more issue-prone DOS games and get those running in proper frame rates. But there's still hopes they'll fix some win32/95 games that have serious issues on XP and where nothing short of emulation can currently help.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:11:13 pm by Virtz »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2008, 07:07:28 pm »

Except not every game has such a solution or the solution doesn't solve all problems. For example, getting certain dos games to run at an appropriate frame rate without sound stuttering at all times can be difficult to impossible.

Pressing a function key enough times fixes that in DOSbox. It doesn't shouldn't cost money to fix such small issues like that.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2008, 04:59:06 am »

Well, I ended up buying Freespace 2 for a friend mainly. Course I can just download it for myself as well - but nevertheless, it saves a lot of hassle not to mention I now am guaranteed to find a place which has the game should I ever lose it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2008, 09:42:24 am »

Ah these games are brilliant, I've just played with part 2. and part 3. yesterday:
The Gobliins series!  8)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2008, 10:00:55 am »

The Gobliins series!

Bwahaha, man, that has been ages.  I'd completely forgotten about that.  I played that thing on an old sneak preview CD waaay back when.  Didn't get to play the full game, but I did play what I could as many times as I could.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2008, 11:00:27 am »

I'd be willing to bet its worth ten dollars to enough people for GOG to make a healthy profit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2008, 11:14:24 am »

Well, DOSBox isn't perfect. Some games outright refuse to run properly on it in any case (from what I experienced, Into the Void and Hyperspeed run too slow, and no amount of cycle increases help). There are some windows games that don't work for XP or Vista (Evolution is one).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2008, 03:01:11 am »

While it may not be worthwhile to you Torak, I personally could not be offered a high enough price not to buy a version of Fallout that runs well all the time and supports Interplay in their recovery so they can make more cool stuff in the future. None of it has DRM and all of it comes with extras too, such as the Fallout bible included with the games in that series.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2008, 03:13:48 am »

While it may not be worthwhile to you Torak, I personally could not be offered a high enough price not to buy a version of Fallout that runs well all the time and supports Interplay in their recovery so they can make more cool stuff in the future. None of it has DRM and all of it comes with extras too, such as the Fallout bible included with the games in that series.

Heh, keep in mind that the current Interplay is nothing like the Interplay that made all those good games back then.  The current Interplay is the one that sold out and made a string of travesties of the old series while closing down the studios that originally made them and then eventually drove themselves to bankruptcy.  Also, the Fallout license is now owned by Bethesda.  The only thing Interplay has to do with Fallout is the license to make a MMORPG. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplay
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:19:03 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2008, 05:40:27 am »

I don't care who owns the license to Fallout, all that matters is the people who made Fallout. It's the same situation with Total Annihilation - Atari owns the license, but GPG has the people who made it, and so people who want a good RTS will support GPG, not Atari.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2008, 05:50:36 am »

Well, that will be hard considering that the people that made Fallout are distributed all over the gaming industry now.  Some have even left it altogether I believe.  I know Leonard Boyarsky is working at Blizzard now, and Tim Cain is working at Carbine Studios.

Though if that wikipedia article is right, Chris Taylor, (Not the Total Annihilation Chris Taylor, the Fallout Chris Taylor) and David Anderson are back at Interplay now.  Unfortunately Herve Caen, the guy that led Interplay into bankruptcy in the first place is still there as well.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13