Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Good Old Games  (Read 38510 times)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Old Games
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2008, 06:06:17 am »

Chris left GPG? o.o

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:13:31 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2008, 06:13:47 am »

Aha...never knew there were 2 Chris Taylor in the game industry - got a bit confused there...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2008, 06:16:13 am »

Well they both made one really good game and then fell into mediocrity.  :(
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2008, 12:24:58 pm »

I would like to mention yet another golden oldie!
Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
This game is a must have to play for RPG fans.  8)

---

The Gobliins series!

Bwahaha, man, that has been ages.  I'd completely forgotten about that.  I played that thing on an old sneak preview CD waaay back when.  Didn't get to play the full game, but I did play what I could as many times as I could.

Check out this gameplay video!  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jyTORpJKtA
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 12:28:20 pm by Tormy »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2008, 12:36:49 pm »

Well, DOSBox isn't perfect. Some games outright refuse to run properly on it in any case (from what I experienced, Into the Void and Hyperspeed run too slow, and no amount of cycle increases help). There are some windows games that don't work for XP or Vista (Evolution is one).
"Evolution: the game of the inteligent life" are you thinking about ... good news it works actualy, you just need to:
left click on the .exe select "Compatibility" (the 3d one i think) panel and then choose "run in 256 color" mode and it will work ...
hope it helped ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2009, 04:29:33 pm »

Thread necromancy!

Today GOG.com announced a new publisher partner - Ubisoft!

From the letter:

With the agreement, we're releasing Beyond Good and Evil®, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time™ and IL-2 Sturmovik™: 1946 for $9.99 each. Other classic Ubisoft titles like Heroes of Might and Magic®, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® and Far Cry® will be added in the coming weeks.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2009, 05:06:50 pm »

That's fantastic news. Especially Heroes of Might and Magic. I didn't even know Ubisoft owned that now.

GOG is great already. Got a lotta good things on sale, stranger.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2009, 05:11:51 pm »

Ghost Recon? Far Cry? Classics? I must be getting old... I didn't think they were old enough to be considered classics.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2009, 05:15:11 pm »

Ghost Recon? Far Cry? Classics? I must be getting old... I didn't think they were old enough to be considered classics.
You think that's bad, wait till the kids refuse to believe you when you tell them you had a Walkman as a kid.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2009, 05:17:50 pm »

Wow. My old thread from like nearly half a year ago is still here.

Check every weekend for sales. They get some good sales going on the occasion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2009, 05:26:32 pm »

Videogames arn't like books where they can sell of years and years after they are released.

For the most part, with exception, once a game is out for 2 years it stops selling.

In fact it is one of the major reasons why people support Abandonware despite its dubious legalities. You either pay tons of money buying it from a collector or you hope that it is released as a classic, though GOOD LUCK if it wasn't downright popular.
-Though some people don't know that some developers are more then willing to send you a copy of any game they make no matter how old... Though I only know ONE that does that. That is how I got this 10 year old game.

People have already moved that games should be given a shorter time period before it is considered "Free" (or whatever the term is) from 50 years due to the way the game market works. I am not sure about it though as once Games FINALLY close the Graphics wars (due to graphics being incapable of getting better) perhaps games will have more lastability.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:28:39 pm by Neonivek »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2009, 05:38:42 pm »

I am not sure about it though as once Games FINALLY close the Graphics wars (due to graphics being incapable of getting better) perhaps games will have more lastability.

I doubt there will ever be such a point. Yes, today's games can render almost photorealistic imagery, but only in a very limited way, both in scope and in interactivity.
More to the point, I don't think it's graphics quality that determins a game's lastability but rather the amount and quality of actual content. Graphics are just presentation of that content. If graphics had any influence on game lastability, surely modern games would last many times longer than old classics, yet the exact opposite is true, at least in my experience.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2009, 05:41:45 pm »

More to the point, I don't think it's graphics quality that determins a game's lastability but rather the amount and quality of actual content

It is more that Graphics is what "Dates" a game and seperates the difference between an "Old game" and a "New Game". Once that factors out we could start seeing a shift in game focus away from technical graphics as the community matures.

Also while there will only be improved graphics eventually the improvements will be meaningless (probably around the time Crysis or Heavy Rain graphics become standard... after that... Graphics don't make significant improvement).

"If graphics had any influence on game lastability, surely modern games would last many times longer than old classics, yet the exact opposite is true, at least in my experience"

Your kinda thinking... hmm... a bit off. Modern games put more on a focus on graphics then many of the classics seem to be today. When people play Classics they ignore technical graphics and when people buy modern games they are seeking the "Next evolution in gaming". So it is more about how the market treats them both then Graphics having a moon like pull on the tide that is our wallets.

There are MANY lost gems that never became classics as well though.

My idea is that once games cannot seperate themselves from technical supperiority then they will have to shift their focus in gameplay (Well once the community realises that "Hey, even though this game has twice the graphics it doesn't have twice the worth). which will make the production of lasting classics more frequent.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:55:36 pm by Neonivek »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2009, 06:05:48 pm »

It is more that Graphics is what "Dates" a game and seperates the difference between an "Old game" and a "New Game". Once that factors out we could start seeing a shift in game focus away from technical graphics.

Not really. Look at something like, say, WoW. The graphics were crap even when it was released, bad graphics alone won't make a game dated.

Also while there will only be improved graphics eventually the improvements will be meaningless (probably around the time Crysis or Heavy Rain graphics become standard... after that... Graphics don't make significant improvement).

Oh I beg to differ! Where are the cities with hundreds of thousands of unique inhabitants living their lives and interacting naturally with each other? Where is fluid dynamics, truly flowing rivers, real rain collecting in the gutters? Where are deformable objects made of realistic materials? The only way to do any interaction with the environment more complicated than bumping things around is to script it. My guess is that the development will shift from how well you can render your imagery to what that imagery can be of, but it will not stop.

Your kinda thinking... hmm... a bit off. Modern games put more on a focus on graphics then many of the classics seem to be today. When people play Classics they ignore technical graphics and when people buy modern games they are seeking the "Next evolution in gaming". So it is more about how the market treats them both then Graphics having a moon like pull on the tide that is our wallets.

Given that people buy new games far more than old ones, I'd say it's quite obviously your thinking that is off.

There are MANY lost gems that never became classics as well though.

Exactly my point. Some game become classics and are played for years and years while similarly looking games from the same period are forgotten. Graphics are irrelevant for lastability.

My idea is that once games cannot seperate themselves from technical supperiority then they will have to shift their focus in gameplay (Well once the community realises that "Hey, even though this game has twice the graphics it doesn't have twice the worth). which will make the production of lasting classics more frequent.

And my idea is that such a day will never come. There is always going to be something to improve.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13