Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Good Old Games  (Read 38182 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Good Old Games
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:24:32 pm »

I hate to advertise, but you can't miss this. It's like Steam or Direct2Drive, but done right.

Right here.
Golden games at golden prices.

I've been waiting for this service to launch, and just remembered to check again. It's up! They'll have more games in time (XCOM is notably absent), so check their catalog on the occasion. I love their attitude:
"We believe that a DRM-free world would be a better place and that's why you won't find any DRMs or other intrusive copy protection in games available at GOG.com....Once you download a game, you can install it on any PC and re-download it whenever you want, as many times as you need, and you can play it without an internet connection....
For less than the cost of a lunch at some lousy diner you can own some of the greatest games of all time...

Don't criticize; play the game like it's 1995.  ;D

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Old Games
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:21:22 am »

Advertisement accepted. Holy crap yes. Sacred, Jagged Alliance, Fallout, Gothic... I was just thinking that I wanted to play Jagged Alliance.

Would the kind readers here suggest which one I should start with? The first, I imagine? I wonder if the games are improved and not only compatible; like if I can run Fallout 2 in windowed mode...

Appreciated, Idiom! Many of these I've wanted to try. And no DRM makes Keiseth happy.

Edit: Anyone know if I get, say, Fallout 2, if the unofficial patch or mods or what not work as normal? If they're optimized I imagine the executables have been changed...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:23:35 am by Keiseth »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:24:20 am »

I am waiting for a few select games to get on there. for example if they ever get Dungeon Keeper Ill jump on that.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:32:55 am »

Oh, tomorrow I'm totally buying Sacrifice. I wanted that so bad; it's a mix of 3rd person and RTS. Looks really great.

I'd buy Dungeon Keeper II as well. This service blows Steam out of the water, I can tell. :D

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:26:28 am »

I thought jagged alliance is abandonware........
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 06:19:00 am »

So is XCOM.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 07:01:46 am »

Heh, seeing Die By The Sword on that list brings back memories. T'was a hilariously brutal game back then, especially in multiplayer. In fact I think I still have it around here somewhere. I'm also fortunate enough to own legit copies of both the Dungeon Keepers as well as Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

At the moment Sacrifice appears the most inviting on that list. I remember having tried a few multiplayer matches' worth of it back in the day and it was mighty good. For once a game where the spells actually feel really powerful, rather than the basic Magic Missile tossing a whole lot seem to rely on.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 08:52:02 am »

Abandonware isn't legal.

There isn't a set time period in which a game becomes abandonware, it might become public domain if people stop renewing their rights however.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 10:25:51 am »

So is XCOM.

No XCom isn't currently abandonware as it has been put up for selling by another company.

Basically if anyone is selling it cannot be abandonware.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 03:30:24 pm »

It'd be nice if they got Thief: The Dark Project on there, considering it's nearly impossible to play it on most computers these days without performing some kind of voodoo magic.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 03:47:55 pm »

Heh, we should compile a list of what they are missing.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 03:50:07 pm »

It'd be nice if they got Thief: The Dark Project on there, considering it's nearly impossible to play it on most computers these days without performing some kind of voodoo magic.

Oh hell yes, Thief. I wouldn't mind seeing Baldur's Gate up there too. Since most of these games are published by interplay, I don't see why not. EA owns Westwood / owned Westwood, right? There was this awesome little action/adventure/RPG called Nox that I played to death back in the day. I still have it, sort of, but the multiplayer would be lacking players.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 03:57:02 pm »

I've been there, its awesome. I think it would be beyond epic if they could get Baldur's Gate and its sequels to run on a modern internet connection.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 06:02:38 pm »

Also, Sacrifice is a great game. One of few games I have played over and over.

It also has a funny, well written manual which is pretty much nonexistent these days. I'd assume it's probably in PDF form for GOG, but it's still worth the read.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:06:02 pm by Davion »

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 06:14:41 pm »

It'd be nice to see Ultima 7 up there, and just make sure it can still be used in Exult.

Crusader series
Dungeon Keeper series
Thief Gold and Thief 2 Gold
Syndicate

Come to think of it any Bullfrog game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13