Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Good Old Games  (Read 38180 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Good Old Games
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2008, 06:21:49 am »

Abandonware isn't legal.

There isn't a set time period in which a game becomes abandonware, it might become public domain if people stop renewing their rights however.

not really, if i know it well it is 70 years after the last update when programs (and games too) become public domaine, or 70 years after the death of the author if it is in the rigths of the author.
at least in europe it works like that. there are no rigths to renew, it is not a mark thing it is more considered like an art thing. So until now i don't think any program become abandoneware. But normaly we call abandoneware programs wich aren't sold any way. (sometimes companys make them publi, but mostly not and in this case you have no way to get it legaly, good news no one seems to care about 15 years old games not sold sine 5 ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2008, 07:34:31 am »

The 70 year old rule is just beyond the realms of retardness and should IMO be fully ignored. If a software cannot be bought anywhere then ignore the legal bureaucracy bullshit and just download to your hearts content. There is a difference between sensibility and stupidity.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2008, 09:02:55 am »

The 70 year old rule is just beyond the realms of retardness and should IMO be fully ignored. If a software cannot be bought anywhere then ignore the legal bureaucracy bullshit and just download to your hearts content. There is a difference between sensibility and stupidity.
you are rigth that it is bullshit like that, but that would be better if the law would take a better point on this question. I mean why deffend something you can't even buy. but law is not ready jet to change fast enougth with the world ... one day it will accept and legalize the things wich are logic ... at least i hope ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2008, 02:43:27 pm »

That's just silly.  If someone makes a product or service (in this case software), it is their right to sell it, not your right to buy it.  If they decide to no longer sell their software, or become unable to sell it, then though luck for you.  Why do people assume they're somehow entitled access to another person's product?

A few years ago they stopped selling my favourite flavour of Fanta.  But you don't see me stealing the last few bottles from people's fridge, or suing Fanta for not making that delicious, poison-green, bitter-sweet bubbling potion of Restore Happy.

It's a shame to see great games and books get lost because their creators abandon them.  That's why it's allowed to keep records for archiving purposes, and that's why they get released in the public domain after 70 years.  70 years is a bit short for software, though.  I'd say 15 years.

I'm not a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.  But I'd never pretend that it's all right to steal something just because the owner isn't selling it to me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:07:27 pm by Rhodan »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2008, 02:55:12 pm »

"A few years ago they stopped selling my favourite flavour of Fanta.  But you don't see me stealing the last few bottles from people's fridge, or suing Fanta for not making that delicious, poison-green, bitter-sweet bubbling potion of Restore Happy."

That isn't EXACTLY the same deal... Though you are legally allowed to make your own version of Fanta even while they are selling it! Food is odd that way... (In fact Recipes have odd laws)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2008, 05:39:46 pm »

The way I figure it: if my friend who already has it is entitled to back-up copies, and I don't recall any laws dictating whose computer the copies can be kept on...
My friend has a right to download backups onto whatever computer he has permission from the owner to do so!  ;)

Really though, is it illegal to download a game with a questionable method when you already own it? Say your disk breaks, or is lost, or is irreparably damaged.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2008, 06:35:30 pm »

I'm not presuming to know anything about the convoluted law processes going on, but I heard that you didn't buy the right to use any copy of the software you wanted, but you bought the storage media it comes on.

I tend to not think about it too much. If I want to download something I already own, I'll do it regardless.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2008, 07:00:07 pm »

Lads, yet another "oldie", but probably it's one of the best RPGs. Temple of Elemental Evil
The official release is full with bugs, but the ToEE community is still very active, and the modders are fantastic.
Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 has been released, and it's just pure awesomeness.  8)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2008, 07:31:56 pm »

I'm not presuming to know anything about the convoluted law processes going on, but I heard that you didn't buy the right to use any copy of the software you wanted, but you bought the storage media it comes on.

I tend to not think about it too much. If I want to download something I already own, I'll do it regardless.

I'm with you.  It seems like they want it both ways.  With DRM, we're not buying a disc with software, we're buying a right to use that software.  But if we try to obtain a replacement of that selfsame software, no, it turns out we were only buying the storage medium.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2008, 08:02:43 pm »

Lads, yet another "oldie", but probably it's one of the best RPGs. Temple of Elemental Evil
The official release is full with bugs, but the ToEE community is still very active, and the modders are fantastic.
Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 has been released, and it's just pure awesomeness.  8)

Holy crap. I just reinstalled that yesterday. Great fun. I had to uninstall due to a bit of a patching mistake, but now that I know 5.5.0 is coming out soon, I'd rather not start a new game in case of save incompatibility.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:01:39 pm by Mephisto »

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2008, 08:18:37 pm »

I've always thought about getting this game.  What's it like?  Is the gameplay like Baldur's Gate?

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2008, 10:00:52 pm »

From what I've heard the gameplay style is turn based, like the old Gold Box games.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2008, 08:23:42 am »

I've always thought about getting this game.  What's it like?  Is the gameplay like Baldur's Gate?

Imho..better with the community mod at least.  :)
Hat - Yes the battles are completly turn based.
Here is a youtube movie movie, check it out [combat] -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0211Q6SYtv4

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 03:37:15 pm »

That's just silly.  If someone makes a product or service (in this case software), it is their right to sell it, not your right to buy it.  If they decide to no longer sell their software, or become unable to sell it, then though luck for you.  Why do people assume they're somehow entitled access to another person's product?

A few years ago they stopped selling my favourite flavour of Fanta.  But you don't see me stealing the last few bottles from people's fridge, or suing Fanta for not making that delicious, poison-green, bitter-sweet bubbling potion of Restore Happy.

It's a shame to see great games and books get lost because their creators abandon them.  That's why it's allowed to keep records for archiving purposes, and that's why they get released in the public domain after 70 years.  70 years is a bit short for software, though.  I'd say 15 years.

I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.  But I'd never pretend that it's all right to steal something just because the owner isn't selling it to me.

But pirating is not stealing, the only reason they say pirating is stealing is because companies do not get the money you would otherwise pay for the game. Sinds they don't get that money anyway because they are not selling it anymore, I don't see the problem :-\
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 03:43:09 pm »

I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.  But I'd never pretend that it's all right to steal something just because the owner isn't selling it to me.

But pirating is not stealing, the only reason they say pirating is stealing is because companies do not get the money you would otherwise pay for the game. Sinds they don't get that money anyway because they are not selling it anymore, I don't see the problem :-\

I guess it's mostly to pay for the copyright, though software copyright is probably too long and restrictive at the moment.

Pirating games I can understand. Pirating large, several hundred dollar pieces of software seems rather unethical to me.  :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13