Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Good Old Games  (Read 38196 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Good Old Games
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2008, 04:41:46 pm »

What about pirating Dwarf Fortress?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2008, 06:24:45 pm »

Consider yourself a nasty pirate if you haven't donated yet!  ;)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2008, 06:42:05 am »

Stuff.

But pirating is not stealing, the only reason they say pirating is stealing is because companies do not get the money you would otherwise pay for the game. Sinds they don't get that money anyway because they are not selling it anymore, I don't see the problem :-\

They might not be selling it anymore, but they still own it, and still have the right to start selling it again.  Sites like Good Old Games are perfect proof of this.  They (in theory) lose money from all players that might have bought it, but already pirated it.
"They don't lose anything if I just take a copy of it." is a bit short-sighted and lacking in respect of other people's property.  I admit being guilty of the latter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2008, 07:02:38 am »

Consider yourself a nasty pirate if you haven't donated yet!  ;)

I'm a bad, dirty pirate...  I think I need to be tied to the mast and given forty lashes.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2008, 08:10:49 am »

It's the company's choice to not sell the game they own the rights to. If they are not selling it, and there is no other way to obtain it except just downloading it off somewhere, you may just as well do so. Think of it this way. Let's say a large company made use of some blueprints someone posted on the internet, and made a portable fusion reactor thing. And announced it. But they're hogging the final design to themselves, and will not let it go or put it to use. What stops the right-minded people of the Internet to put the same freely available designs to use and make such reactors for themselves? The company loses no money because they wouldn't gain any in the first place because they weren't selling, so it's their loss, and not our fault.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2008, 01:00:14 pm »

Then the person who posted those blueprints on the internet is the legit owner of those blueprints, and that person is the one who has the final say on who gets to sell fusion reactors based on said blueprints.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »

But he has no patent for it. And the company does, now.

If "I" were that man, I would put the blueprints out into the internet just because I would not want some company to hog the design to itself (because I know that happens often), but that's more or less beside the point here.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2008, 10:45:57 pm »

I'm not sure if this thread is going off topic.

They're getting a new game on the list every few days now. I think this service is going to be big.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2008, 11:06:19 pm »

Some of these games I am surprised are going for so cheap... (I was actually surprised to see Ghost Master on the list... If only because I bought it and loved it! even though it was incomplete and effectively had a cliff hanger ending due to a level they never released)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2008, 06:46:27 am »

Some of these games I am surprised are going for so cheap... (I was actually surprised to see Ghost Master on the list... If only because I bought it and loved it! even though it was incomplete and effectively had a cliff hanger ending due to a level they never released)

Gah!  Well, at that price, I think I will buy it anyway when I can affor to be distracted.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2008, 07:42:24 am »

As a tip for Ghost master!

Replay levels and go for speed! generally speaking you get more gold ectoplasm beating levels quickly then you do taking you time making them all go insane and then afraid (especially since Insanity is very hard to get outside of dedicated insanity ghosts)

One hillarious fact about Ghost Master... EVERYONE in the game is Aquaphobic

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2008, 11:46:59 am »

There's also a patch out for the game that you can apply before starting a new game that will allow you to bring your newer ghosts into older levels to replay them after you've beaten them.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2008, 12:08:22 pm »

There's also a patch out for the game that you can apply before starting a new game that will allow you to bring your newer ghosts into older levels to replay them after you've beaten them.

Wow that makes collecting gold ectoplasm MUCH easier!... not sure it should be allowed

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2008, 04:27:51 pm »

BUMP.

So I lost my OFP cd so I bought it off them. In the beginning, because of how the non-DRM is handled, you can't play online with the initial install- but if you email customer support, they'll get back to you within days with a fix.

Definitely would buy from them again.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2008, 05:55:37 pm »

I don't know if I like this new site.  I mean, what's going to happen to all of the abandonware sites?

Isn't free still better than cheap?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13