Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mankind  (Read 2084 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mankind
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »

Well given the amount of space based games being presented I thought I would share one I played a LONG time ago (2001-02ish).

Mankind

This is a true MMORTS based in space. You start with a lone basic builder and a couple hundred settlers.  You then build up your bases, cities and ships and can wage war or peacefully trade ships depending on what you wish to do. Its been a long time since I played so I cant vouch for how densely populated it is but there is always room somewhere for a new player to start working.  Also by its nature you can only do a limited number of things per day. That sounds restrictive but its not like you have 50 moves what do you want to do. Its more like the more advanced structures and research take significant amounts of time to build from a couple of minutes for the starting structures to 10080 Minutes(thats a full week) for the most advanced buildings. However you can have multiple workers all working on separate buildings. Honestly during the time I played having setup a large base its not an overly restrictive problem because you can just make new workers and set them to work immediately. Note that if you are patient enough you don't even need to set up a base, just do missions for the Imperials (neutral party that you can buy and sell stuff to) or one of the other various ways to make money. Then with enough credits you can place an order with a trader for pretty much anything else in the game.  If you do decide to play I recommend starting a demo account and researching everything you can then head out to where you want to set up your base before paying for the account.(Unfortunately you have to pay)

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mankind
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

...so it's exactly the same as every other PBBG (Persistant Browser-Based Game) in existence?

Huh.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:26:00 pm »

Sorry forgot that part. It isn't a browser based game. It has its own engine which displays everything in full 3D. Everything happens in true real time with no waiting for pages to reload or anything. Think Starcraft on steroids.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »

My mistake then. Looks interesting - any amusing in-game anecdotes to share?
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:28:00 am »

Not too many.  My friend who introduced me to the game discovered how to superjump through systems.  Normally when you are traveling through multiple systems the ships have to travel the length of the system to jump out to the next one. He figured out that by jumping to a system slightly behind the one you are currently in then jumping forward again you eliminate the need to travel all the way through.  Truthfully I never managed to get the massive cities going that are almost required to produce the most massive warships economically but I managed to acquire a nice fleet of low end ships with weak firepower but very long range.  Using about 200 of them I managed to eliminate a good 1500 of an extremely expensive ship that had a VERY slightly less range then my ships did. Got a promotion in my guild out of that one. Cost ratio was about 1 credit spent for about 1000 credits I destroyed.

If you do start playing, once you get a base going find a titanium base that sells rockets in an imperial system and use that to make money.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 06:01:00 am »

Sorry, you killed my interest by saying it was <Popular> on <Illicit>

I hate when people do that.

Shoes...

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »

What? Overused analogies?
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is like Worms on Beer.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Dwarf Fortress is like Worms on Beer.</STRONG>

Like hedgehogs on purple mushrooms?

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: Duke 2.0 ]

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>

Like blue hedgehogs on purple mushrooms?</STRONG>

Edit: DAMN YOU quote button!

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: Duke 2.0 ]

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Crnobog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 05:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>

Like hedgehogs on purple mushrooms?

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: Duke 2.0 ]</STRONG>

No, it's lemmings