Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Hammerfall - the HL2 of indy arcades!  (Read 14240 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Hammerfall - the HL2 of indy arcades!
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

This game's been my favorite pastime for the last... I think 3 days. I knew about for a while, but only recently discovered it's already in a downloadable state.

Hammerfall page on Fun-Motion.

HammerFall is a physics game. More specifically, it's the Half-Life 2 of the indy arcade games. Moreover, it's russian-made, but it has english language as well.

The player in the game controls a....  well, a machine. We russians call it "pepelaz", I suppose a fitting name would be "propshafter" from Carma2. The machine's a DaVinci-esque "mechanical barrel" with a prop up top to keep in in the air. The "barrel" can use a wide variety of melee weapons from rock-on-a-chains to poleaxes, and a few ranged ones as well. All the fun in the game is about HOW the player uses those weapons.

All the control's in the mouse. You move the mouse to move the machine, and the weapon that's attached on a pivot follows, according to physics. Swing yourself in a small arc, and the weapon will gather momentum and spin around. That's the whole thing. There're quirks like locking two weapons together or adding gems and shields, but these are the basics.

The goal of the game varies. In warrior mode, you follow the story, training and acquiring new weapons and abilities in the process. Training Hall mode places you in the armory, where you accumulate weapons you find on your quests, plus gives you a barrel (real barrel) to train on. Nice way to switch weaponry between missions. Duel mode pits you against opponents in an enclosed arena. Grim mode leads you through a series of encounters with a lot of monsters. Hammerball is a competition to accumulate as much points as possible by whacking a falling cannonball as high as you can with a large mallet. There may be more, but I haven't unlocked them yet.

All in all, the game's very interestng. There's no multiplayer yet, but the game's a single-man development, and only in the beginning of the cycle. It's already playable though, barring a few rare bugs.

Some hints.
Be advised, you will need a lot of tablespace for this one. Prepare accordingly.
The story starts pretty slowly, but picks up in a while. Don't give up after the first few missions.
Don't underestimate the "mace". It's got stupendous damage potential because of the chain.
Don't fight momentum. Use it, to escape or otherwise. Don't rush attacks, practice wide swings with quick finishers.

Finally, the game has a 1-hour "demo timer" for each profile (despite the game not being finished and being free, yes). However, there is a way past it. Create two profiles, in the first and second slots. Spend the entire 1 hour limit in them. Delete them. Create a new profile in the first slot. It should have no time limit.

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerfall - the HL2 of indy arcades!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:37:00 am »

Damn, and I thought this was going to be an Elder Scrolls thread.

Interesting looking game. Must try!

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

I note the insecty sounds are ripped wholesale straight out of the Thief games.

Tsk tsk.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »

It IS an indy game...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

Been playing it for about three hours now, it's pretty much the most fun I've had, but I never knew my mousepad was so tiny until you realise youre moving you mouse on the desktop to get the full spin on that flaming flail.

Great game, FUCKING hard though.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

For me, the hard subsided when I got the shotgun thing (I accidently lost my main weapon and successfully finished a few levels with a shotgun locked to a shield), and now it resurfaced again when I reached chapter 4. No flaming axe of doom, no Freezing Sword of Frostiness, not even dual shotguns with some 6 shields could help me finish that so far. The damn shockwave-inducing lightning-firing minibosses juck whack my ship around the cave. I really need some kind of "overboost" bonus, because I just can't fight the shockwaves...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

Well, I cant pickup weapons, and the parts where im supposed to get my shotgun (and the battle shotgun, after the raid) failed to initialize, so Im stuck with weapons that I start with and become unlocked because I started with them in a certain level.

My game is screwed.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

To pick up a weapon, you must yourself be weaponless, and be above a certain health limit (otherwise I suppose you're "too weak").

To pass certain stages of the game in this version, you need to switch to russian language. For example the stage where you're chained to a wall and have to avoid the guy with the mallet. There probably are more.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 12:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>To pick up a weapon, you must yourself be weaponless, and be above a certain health limit (otherwise I suppose you're "too weak").</STRONG>

Shame you cant get two weapons in a stage without being in the Hall.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 01:53:00 am »

Yes, picking up a weapon requires that you have no weapon. I don't think even your own second weapon can be picked up if thrown away. It's most frustrating when you lose something to a random right click, and all you've got is the arquebus, because it can't fire without at least somehing locked on.

It's possible to dual-wield them shotguns though, but firing them is tricky. I didn't try two separate locked shotguns yet, but I think it's worth a try.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 02:15:00 am »

The mission right after the one with the shockwave squid bots doesn't work for me, does it for anyone?

Edit: Nevermind, I fixed it by skipping the level by editing my save file.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 04:13:00 am »

I can't beat them yet. The dang things just keep blowing me away. I can get two at most, the third always kills me.

Also, I remember that there's a way past that level, but that's a bit hacky.

Look at your save's "profile" .seria file, with a notepad. Find the level file entry (should be near the top), it will probably say kelete_rift2 - something. Chance rift2 to "gate" (or maybe "yard", I don't remember which comes next). For more precise information, you can look through comments on the page I linked to, and follow the forum topic that page links to.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »

Also the end of the game is an EXTREME disappointment.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

Which end? I think there are several.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

Both of the endings after you decline the one guy's offer to become seraphim or whatever, the one where you get offered a chance to reconcile with the Hal9000-esque robot. Both of those endings suck.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9