Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Hammerfall - the HL2 of indy arcades!  (Read 14237 times)

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerfall - the HL2 of indy arcades!
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2008, 06:16:01 pm »

Ugh, yep.  I considered trying to hit the core until it broke, but that doesn't work either, huh?  Ah well, v0.21 of a one-man project is bound to be weird like that.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2008, 06:30:12 pm »

BTW, what's the deal with this game?  How do you get rid of the sixty minute time limit?  It doesn't say anything about buying it so... ???
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2008, 06:41:25 pm »

Play out the time limit in the first save slot...  Play out the time limit in the second save slot...  Delete both saves...  Start a new game in the first slot.

It was simply a warping of priorities.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2008, 07:23:48 pm »

I broke the time limit without doing that. I played until I got to the bee-level, deleted my save (mostly in frustration) -- and when I went to play again, there was no timer.

Edit: I... stopped playing but I'm still rotating my mouse for some reason. I'm going to have strange, physics related nightmares tonight.

Edit Edit: Something funny just happened. I smashed the spiked mace into the wooden block in the hall, and it broke. Then I dropped my assault arquebuss and it got attached to the end of the broken mace chain. Here's a thumbnail for the interested to click on.

...it does truly massive damage but vanished as soon as I left.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 03:01:18 pm by Keiseth »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2008, 03:54:12 pm »

Man, how do you beat that level with the red machines in the cave?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2008, 08:35:31 pm »

Which level is that? I specifically remember a tough one with a lightning enhanced machine causing massive shockwaves, and I'm assuming you mean that one... man, that took me like an hour to get by, and then it didn't actually move me to the next level!

Edit: I'm at the end of the game and I have *no idea* what's going on, or what the story is about. Maybe it's the partial translation but nothing makes any sense at all to me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:11:46 pm by Keiseth »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2008, 11:59:49 pm »

It's really not that difficult...  I beat it in a few minutes the first time I came across it, and I was still looking for that weird "shockwave level" that everyone hated so much.

All you do is wait for Squidbot the Zappy to unleash a pulse (by wait I mean hang around a couple feet of the bottom of the level), and directly after that rush up and smash him to bits.  If you can't destroy him in a couple smacks, just run back down to the bottom of the level.

The effect of the pulse drops off significantly the farther away you are, so just back off and let him let off a little steam.  Immediately after that, crunch him and then drop back down to wait for his successor to blow his first blast, and then repeat the process until the level's over.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2008, 12:21:36 am »

Edit: I'm at the end of the game and I have *no idea* what's going on, or what the story is about. Maybe it's the partial translation but nothing makes any sense at all to me.

Basically, it starts out with your just helping out around the clan, fighting off the normal enemies that threaten the clan, until one day, and imperial squad of Choppers come, destroying your village, and in turn, you entire clan. You are captured and put to work in an arena under the gimmick of being the last Gasar or whatever the hell that family is called.

You eventually fight your way to freedom in the arenas, and thanks to some guy who is an old friend of your family, take revenge on the destroyers of your clan, but they weren't the only ones involved, the emperor was a part of it too, so your fight your way through the imperial games, and once you kill the champion, challenge the emperor, you kill him and get revenge, but you get arrested by (what I presume is) his adviser, who was actually behind this the whole time.

He offers you the chance to help him kill the true evil, the machines (I dont know exactly what they were called) because they will soon rise up and destroy man or something along those lines. You accept (or dont, and have the most annoying battle I played) and descend into the rift, battle through robots and fortresses, finally reaching the mind of the robots, a sentient robot who is very god-like in his knowledge, you denounce him for toying with man, and fight him to the death.

After killing him you are left with nowhere to go, and out of supplies, without hope of reaching the surface before you die. I assume that's where he narrated his story to the player.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2008, 12:26:54 am »

Aah, I see. I disobeyed the adviser (I thought it was the white-clothed fellow who appeared with your father's old friend) and got chucked into the rift, and then sided with the machines, as it seemed like they weren't as evil as everyone else that was using the player. If nothing else, the damn thing actually explained what was going on. I think it mentioned an even greater evil, the "family", that's responsible for those flying worms and bees? This is a very confusing, but very good, story.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]