Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Hammerfall - the HL2 of indy arcades!  (Read 14239 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerfall - the HL2 of indy arcades!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

Well, the game's still unfinished...  I'm really looking forward to this game's 1.0 version. What I'd like to see in it is a fight against a giant walking robot thing, that is nigh impenetrable save for a few weak spots that surface from time to time, a-la classic arcade shooters.

Edit: also, I found jet propulsion.  :D The shields have a "turtle" function, that arrays all your shields around you so as to cover as much of the craft as possible. They force themselves into that position as long as you hold the button down.
However, if you have 2 shields of one kind, and 2 more different shields, then holding the turtle button results in a weird display of physics - when the two identical shields form up next to each other, the craft is pushed in the opposite direction from them, with quite sufficient force. I guess that's the third physics effect I discovered in the game.

The first was the "jethammer" strike - lock a shotgun to a sword, then stick the point of the sword at the enemy and fire the gun. The kickback makes a very effective stabbing attack.

The second was "lock-n-launch" - if you unlock a dual weapon, then re-lock it when you're down on the floor, the resulting dual weapon can penetrate the floor, propelling you with staggering force.

Also, I found out that two shotguns locked to two shields make a great gunship - you can't accidentally unlock a dual like that by left clicking.
Two swords or axes locked to two shields make a nice autopilot attack force combined with the "jet propulsion" effect, because it sends you flying in circles (weight imbalance), usually weapons outwards.

And Torak, see if you can find a use for green gems. I cannot fathom how the "phantom" mode can be used in combat...

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

It allows you to pass though things, and that's pretty much it.

On that note, can you combine two of the same gem to make a better one?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 09:38:00 am »

Here's a question: how's the arqueboose working? I can't make it to shoot.
I'm at giant flamethrower robot now and all I manage to do is to destroy it's flamer. Then I go for it's canisters and get squashed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

You've got to connect the shotgun/blunderbuss to a weapon with a handle (meaning you can't put it on a flail/chained weapon), and then you have to have it on your cargo menu, where it says "shoot", and then click.

A good combo is the machine flail and anything, because the machine flail destroys everything without prejudice.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

Actually you can connect it to anything, including flails, shields, and other guns (which there is only one atm).

Also, which flaming robot? The early big one with two propellors? I think I beat it with a freak physics bug, I had only the shotgun linked to a shield...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »

I just crushed it to hell with the iron mace and stone mace combo.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

Yeah, the point is to shoot/hit it in the barrels. If only I knew how to use shotgun at that time...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 01:52:00 am »

Since this floated up again, I'll make a challenge. Can anyone kill the hammer guy in the first Melka level? Where you are chained and unarmed? And survive and complete the level afterwards?

The most I managed was bring him to some 10% of life and disarm him. That's with completing the level.

Without completing, a freak chain physics bug got me hyperblasting the guy into the right spike set, exploding him and smashing myself into the ceiling, which counted as getting hammered, so I didn't pass, but scored a kill.

A failed attempt was when I rammed the guy so hard he shattered the right-side heavy brick wall, fell on the floor beneath it, then got buried under a pile of bricks. As he tried to get out, a brick shifted, pried his hammer loose, which then rocketed across the arena and blasted me apart.

I got revenge later though. I didn't complete the level, but that was one single most powerful hit I ever delivered, armed or not. I don't know what happened (slow-motion woud have been helpful at that moment), but in short, I did the usual rapid ramming attack at level start, and then all hell broke loose. I can only assume the physics bug kicked in again, because the other guy suddenly blasted across the room, shattered just about every solid surface on the level, and finally exploded. The entire room was filled with fire, debris were flying, the guy's hammer looked like a glowing staff - it was red-hot and spinning so fast it looked like it had two handles. I was amidst this whole madness, alive still, and the damn guy on the balcony said he didn't need someone like me. I shattered the entire level with essentially one hit, and he didn't think I was good enough. Figures...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 02:23:00 am »

I killed 1st guy too and was thrown away by explosion on wooden "spike"... Bamm. Dead.

I didn't manage to kill someone of 3 on the 2nd level you mentioned though.

The guy says he doesn't need you if you're hammered hard, not if you die. Thus he thought that you were hit because you crashed with big force into that enemy.
Also I noted too that in slo-mo strange things may happen, like if you touch the enemy it can fly across the map and slam into something with huge force. I think it's because the game counts force=speed thus in slo-mo every movement of your hand is augmented greatly.

P.S. Now I have trouble with falling barrels.
The main problem is if you missed 1 it's like you missed two because it substracts from score.
And I usually end blasted when I have 4-5 more barrels to kill.

[ June 03, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 03:58:00 am »

Yeah, that level is kinda frustrating, but it builds some serious precision hitting skills. It also unlocks Hammerball, which is a source of a valuable hammer.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

HAA!!! I just managed to defeat someone in the Melka level where you are unarmed against three opponents! I guess I was lucky the guy I disarmed didn't catch his sword. It flew vertically up, I caught it, and clobbered the only guy who was still aloft. The other two were buried under the bricks from the ceiling.

Damn, this game needs some serious game design reconsideration! The player never gets to have fun with the level that's surrounding him, he's always got someone out to kill him. You can literally tear the level brick by brick and the game doesn't give you time to do it!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

I'm stuck in the level where all the airships are coming at you against the wall, and you have three allies.  They all get killed and then I inevitably lose my weapon.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

You have to score fame in that one, perform feats and kill attackers. If you try hard enough you'll be done before the worm-blimps come in. You lose that battle anyway though. If you lose the weapon, ram any enemies you see into the walls until you reach the goal. You won't need a weapon in the next stages anyways.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

Yeah, I got it.  Can you take the Ruby you get in the slave arena off of a weapon?
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

You can get a gem out of a weapon by shattering it.

To shatter a weapon, you, in turn, need the ice sword. If you haven't encountered it yet, be prepared to. Some guy will wield it sometime before you challenge the emperor.

Basically, you need a lot of luck on that one. Luck, plus some serious flailing skill. Get a flail (the spiky one you get after the flail-throwing will do), insert a gem of fire into it so that you can negate the ice gems, and concentrate on knocking the wielder out of the air, then pummeling his sword in full swing.

After you get the ice sword, you can extract gems out of weapons. First, charge the sword by dealing damage to the wooden block in the Hall, then get a second weapon (the shotgun will do), and approach the target gemmed weapon. Touch it with the machine's body - the weapon should become encased in ice. Use the opportunity and smash it to bits. The gem will fly out, but it will be difficult to catch in most cases. Don't worry - you don't lose weapons in the Hall, or gems from those weapons. It's an exploit actually - you can get as many gems as you like.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9