Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 288630 times)

Jikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.monkeydonkey.info
Unreal World
« on: May 25, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

Don't know if this game has been mentioned before but it is pretty neat. If you really want a challenge in this do the hurt helpless and afraid scenario in the middle of winter.

Unreal World

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »

Thats curious,can't find the old topic.
Does making a new topic with a older topics name overwrite it?

EDIT:found it,but only by search,my theory must be correct.
UnReal World(forum topic)

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: SHAD0Wdump ]

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: SHAD0Wdump ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:48:00 am »

Does anybody have a 3.04-2 version? I can't find it in the internet.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:11:00 am »

I've found it and played it...
It's nice but the main thing that it's not moddable and have not very much of content.
Well, I mean it has some nice content but I want to see more things like "oaken stick" or "granite rock" in the place of generic "rock" and "wood".
And if you compare the number of things/items you can do in DF (fortress mode) the UW looks pale.
And the lack of modding disallows community content which can add a lot to some aspects of the game (look at the MA mod for example). Also the included graphics are not very cool: I may want to imagine my guy like somebody different from strange hairy finn (and the guys are different in different situations which confused me... Couldn't they make a picture set of 1 guy which resembles you?).
But I want to see the DF adventurer mode moving toward this kind of game.

And I definitely have some fun. It happened that I've built the shelter on the deer migration route so every time I woke up there were a few deers sleeping nearby.
I died of deadly wound in the groin caused by deer horns... It reminds me MA too.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>Does anybody have a 3.04-2 version? I can't find it in the internet.</STRONG>

Don't be a cheapass, if you really like the game, man up and spend the $40 for a lifetime registration. If that's too much, spend 10 for a single version. You still get all bugfix patches for that series of version, like 3.xx and so on.

Sami's been working on the game for 10+ years, meaning he's highly unlikely to stop anytime soon, and you'll get more than your money's worth of playtime.

It'd be one thing if it was a huge EA title, in which case, find it on the internet all you want, they make millions of dollars as a faceless entity making shittier and shittier games. UrW is a game made by mostly one guy that he's spent 10 years of his life on, and he deserves at least a small return for his time.

A trial is up on the UrW website, pick that up and see if you like the new features, and if you do, consider not being cheap and pirating an indy game. It's majorly bad form.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, you've already found it somewhere. I hope you at least consider what I've had to say. Imagine how you'd feel if you poured your heart and soul into something, decided to benefit from your spent time by charging for it, and then found out that people were just handing it out for free. I think it's safe to say you'd be both hurt and pissed off. As a major fan of Sami's game, it pisses me off too, if you can't tell. Steal from the people who deserve it, not some indy developer looking to make a few bucks.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Skeeblix ]

This is not a signature.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

URW isn't that good, I don't think.   Every time I've tried to play it I either die in one hit to something completely stupid (getting bit in the leg by a dog, even though I'm wearing chainmail), or a crash.  

It has a lot of nice features, but the interface with the pictures of the programmer's friends leaping around a forest without shirts on is annoying and stupid looking, and fourty dollars could buy you Nethack, ADOM, Angband and its thousand variants, ToME, Cavequest, Crawl, Rogue, and two 100 count boxes of Blackjack Gum, +shipping.   With change leftover for donating to Dwarf Fortress

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

Jikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.monkeydonkey.info
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

As for dying to stupid things. It *COULD* happen in real life! Yea the pictures bother me sometimes as well. It is good to try out other games once in a while to try to break ones addiction to Dwarf Fortress. Not that you can get too much but sometimes you may forget to feed your pets or your wife  :)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 04:48:40 pm »

URW isn't that good, I don't think.   Every time I've tried to play it I either die in one hit to something completely stupid (getting bit in the leg by a dog, even though I'm wearing chainmail), or a crash.  <P>It has a lot of nice features, but the interface with the pictures of the programmer's friends leaping around a forest without shirts on is annoying and stupid looking, and fourty dollars could buy you Nethack, ADOM, Angband and its thousand variants, ToME, Cavequest, Crawl, Rogue, and two 100 count boxes of Blackjack Gum, +shipping.   With change leftover for donating to Dwarf Fortress<p>[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

That's both not very nice and it reminds me slightly of trolling.

But I dissect:

URW isn't that good, I don't think.
I think it's more addicting than DF. Whereas I've quit DF three times now and can't get addicted to it now, I've been addicted enough to waste a whole $55 dollars on a lifetime version of the game.

Every time I've tried to play it I either die in one hit to something completely stupid (getting bit in the leg by a dog, even though I'm wearing chainmail), or a crash.
I've never died to either of those (something stupid or a crash). In fact, I've never had Unreal World crash, whereas Dwarf Fortress has crashed tons of times.

It has a lot of nice features, but the interface with the pictures of the programmer's friends leaping around a forest without shirts on is annoying and stupid looking,
How do you know those are the programmer's friends? Also I don't really notice it, maybe you're just touchy.

and fourty dollars could buy you Nethack, ADOM, Angband and its thousand variants, ToME, Cavequest, Crawl, Rogue, and
Aren't those free?

two 100 count boxes of Blackjack Gum, +shipping.
Ew.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 05:36:42 pm »

I enjoy Unreal, but I like DF quite a bit better. I have had lots of crashing in URW, often at times when I'm getting into the game. DF has never crashed for me. And yes, all those games listed are free. Heh.

I like DF simply because of the depth and consistency.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:51:21 am »

Weird, for me it's exactly the other way around. Also, I've never really gotten into DF without SOME cheating, whereas I can play Unreal World completely legit.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 03:09:50 pm »

You might be in the wrong forums.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 10:32:59 am »

I've played UW before, very great game. Although I have the trial version, and really the only way I could play something, than rate it is to buy it. I will, soon, but untill than I can see that the game has limited varity.

I mean this in the fact I can play as differnt versions of the same person, by versions I mean allowing your self to start off differntly, from what I have seen. It's really not so bad, it is fun to play for, oh the first three times you began in a differnt time, season, etc. Surviving alone is probably what makes this worth playing or buying in my case.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 09:50:39 am »

Every time I've tried to play it I either die in one hit to something completely stupid (getting bit in the leg by a dog, even though I'm wearing chainmail), or a crash.
I've never died to either of those (something stupid or a crash).
Sounds like you're playing a different game. Pretty much everyone on the URW forums has complanied about a badger biting their toe while wearing full armor and causing unconsciousness, never to wake up again.

Also, what's with jumping at people's throats just for criticising this game?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 09:55:48 am »

How do you know those are the programmer's friends? Also I don't really notice it, maybe you're just touchy.

The irony... it burns!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 05:13:37 am »

Wow I posted something 3 months ago and it comes back to haunt me!

And yes, Nethack, ADOM, etc are free- I was trying to work humor into my critique of URW.   I apologize if my valid complaints came off as 'trolling'.

The big problem with URW is that in time, DF will be able to do everything it does, and more.  I think everyone can acknowledge the unbiased truth in that.

Edit:

How can you claim to not notice that?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 05:20:00 am by Capntastic »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 101