Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shootmania open beta  (Read 1495 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Shootmania open beta
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:56:00 pm »

Shootmania, Nadeo's attempt at an FPS game, is now in open beta. I don't know how long it'll be, but for now, the game is free to play and try out. It's surprisingly fun, and I surprisingly don't suck at it.

http://www.maniaplanet.com/

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shootmania open beta
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:47:24 am »

Nadeo? I remember them. They included StarForce in a free game (Trackmania Nations), and it wasn't even that good. Nothing could convince me to try anything of theirs (even if it didn't have any shitty DVD-drive-destroying DRM).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:44:00 am »

If they had starforce, I think they took it out later, I dunno. I never had issues.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:53:41 am »

I've played it a bit before, but I have a hard time finding games most of the time.  When I did manage to find games I had fun though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:51:55 am »

Played this for a little bit- it's kind of fun and it really hits that old twitchy FPS action I crave from good old TFC and some other older FPS, but it's pretty shallow. Like, 100% twitch action and 0% strategy... Which isn't bad for gameplay at a glance, but it's the type of thing that doesn't cultivate a fanbase or community, which spells disaster for a game's longevity. Still, the base mechanics feel fluid and well built, it just needs some new elements in the game to give it some depth (Beta, I know. I didn't really notice any bugs though so there's not much else to discuss). I still don't quite get the scoring mechanics and armor thing- like, why do people respawn in the first portion of a round and then just get eliminated? Seems like a strange design choice to me, but maybe it works out.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 06:30:07 am »

As far as I know, either beginners have more respawns then normal, or you can't respawn after the beacon is activated.