Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 288588 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1290 on: November 14, 2012, 07:09:08 pm »

I purposely lowered my timbercraft and building skills to raise my huntery skills, and I only get Decent logs from trunks.  I think logs are only used for houses and beating surfaces (for tanning skin) so there'd be no point in changing the quality.  Boards can be used for other things, logs have one real use.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: November 14, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »

Sorry, I was referring to splitting trunks into the Boards I'd need for the floor. Good to know that the logs themselves are always decent quality.

Debating starting up a Let's Play of this. Would anyone be interested in reading one?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: November 14, 2012, 07:28:48 pm »

Only if you play it Dwarfish.  I've been working on a trap fence line, and so far it's worked very well.  Caught at least 3 foreign merchants!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: November 14, 2012, 07:41:30 pm »

Hehe. I had that happen once. Same game where I woke up to a bear attacking me in my own house! Good times.

Hmmm. I wonder how feasible it is to try and put a Trap Line around a Njerpas settlement...I think that's about as Dwarfish as I can come up with for Unreal world. Well...or some sort of giant house megaproject.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: November 14, 2012, 07:52:26 pm »

It'd work, but not be practical.  Easier to sneak in at night and hit them silently one by one.  There's just not enough population to justify a megaproject.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: November 14, 2012, 07:54:41 pm »

It'd work, but not be practical.  Easier to sneak in at night and hit them silently one by one.  There's just not enough population to justify a megaproject.

I thought you wanted it to be Dwarfish  :P
Come play Mafia with us!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:10 pm »

Well there's a difference.  This would be like building a pump stack for a murky pond.  If you want "expensive and barely worth it" then do a pit line across the border of Nerp area, so that if any of them venture out they get caught.  Doing it around a single village is just costly, server no purpose and isn't cool.

Unless you occupy the village, in which case you've now made a fortress.

For that matter, why not make a fortress?  Walls EVERYWHERE.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:38 pm »

For that matter, why not make a fortress?  Walls EVERYWHERE.

Hmm. Now that's a pretty good idea. I can even line the outside with spiked pits.

Ok, I'm going to do this.
Come play Mafia with us!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »

Best if done by a river, so you can move logs via boat.  But the distance from water only depends on your patience.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 14, 2012, 11:13:56 pm »

Yeah. That'd be easier, although I may try to put in on/next to a mountain for extra Dwarfiness. We'll have to see.

In any case, the LP has started
Come play Mafia with us!

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: November 15, 2012, 10:02:14 am »

I'm starting to think sneaking is bugged. Even when I use the easy start to give myself incredibly high Stealth and a slim build, and even without any twig snapping or anything and while still in Hiding, animals just psychically know I'm there and flee. I mean, I know sneaking up on animals IRL isn't easy at all, but what's the point of even having sneak in the game if it doesn't actually work even with incredibly favorable factors? Often I can't even get within reasonable bow range, nevermind melee.

Edit - also animals seem to just flee at random sometimes. A bear almost killed me -- I couldn't land any hits, despite having extremely high spear skill and going for bodyshots -- but then I guess it got bored of eating my face and ran away despite being entirely uninjured with me bleeding all over the place. What gives? Do I not taste good?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:10:58 am by Vel »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:45 am »

Yeah, I think animals just don't play fair.  Sneaking seems most relevant when the target is asleep or human.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: November 15, 2012, 10:26:48 am »

Elks seem to pretty much be psychic ninja kung fu vampires who know your moves before you even make them. Even if you can get in range, which is unlikely a lot of the time, they'll matrix-dodge your arrows half the time, and run directly away from you even if you change directions in relation to them and are nowhere near them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:30:31 am by Vel »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 15, 2012, 10:33:50 am »

It's also well known that you can see further than the screen is big, which is a huge design flaw to me.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: November 15, 2012, 10:41:02 am »

Elks seem to pretty much be psychic ninja kung fu vampires who know your moves before you even make them. Even if you can get in range, which is unlikely a lot of the time, they'll matrix-dodge your arrows half the time, and run directly away from you even if you change directions in relation to them and are nowhere near them.

They are stupid but have perfect knowledge of their surroundings.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 101