Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 288585 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1335 on: November 26, 2012, 10:11:42 pm »

I think it's about 1.5 days to be optimal.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: November 26, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »

My personal fishing net timer is one and a half days. Place the net in the morning, take it out at afternoon or night the next day.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: November 27, 2012, 06:51:01 am »

Yep, just about right. Longer, and the fish will rot, earlier, and the nets won't catch anything.

I was thinking about a 'megaproject', setting enough nets to basically cover the entire river, but I think it would take way too much time and resources to buy enough nets and set them up.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: November 27, 2012, 08:46:54 am »

Yep, just about right. Longer, and the fish will rot, earlier, and the nets won't catch anything.

I was thinking about a 'megaproject', setting enough nets to basically cover the entire river, but I think it would take way too much time and resources to buy enough nets and set them up.
you could always get one of the mods that let you turn nettle and other thread bearing planets into cloth, and that cloth into nets.  That way at least it's dependent on man-power and not on getting lucky with shops.
Nom nom nom

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: November 30, 2012, 02:29:36 pm »

So I discovered the massive exploit of hiring somebody to help you out, then killing them for food and their items. A seasoned adventurer with a valuable and powerful broadsword? Knife them a few times and they're dead, and you have up to 50 cuts of meat, masterwork clothing and their valuable and powerful broadsword, plus anything they may have been carrying at the time.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: November 30, 2012, 03:41:18 pm »

Massive exploit? pfft. That's, like, a two years old trick.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »

Also not really an exploit or trick, I mean... realistically you could trick someone to come 'work' for you if you were both a cannibal and a psychopath and due just that.
Nom nom nom

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: November 30, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »

Also not really an exploit or trick, I mean... realistically you could trick someone to come 'work' for you if you were both a cannibal and a psychopath and due just that.

The only really exploitable part of it (I think, I haven't done it myself) is that no one else ever figures out that people who leave with you never come back.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 30, 2012, 06:10:59 pm »

The only really exploitable part of it (I think, I haven't done it myself) is that no one else ever figures out that people who leave with you never come back.
Dunno, in the latest version I've been murdered by towns I have pissed off for a few things.  1. harvesting their fields, 2. Accidentally shooting a child, and most important to this train of though 3.  Walked into a town where I had abducted/eaten someone with that trick and then been mobbed by hostile villagers.
Nom nom nom

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 02, 2012, 11:36:52 am »

I just bought the game yesterday and am having a great time so far.

I had a couple of questions -

I need a better axe - The Drikawhatevertheyrecalled are near where my shelter is. The problem is that they seem to only sell masterwork tools and none of my piddly woodcrafts seem to interest them enough. What is something that I can try trading to them?

What is the best way to hunt? I snuck up on an elk while it was sleeping and stabbed it in the neck with a spear. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to slow it down. I chased it, tracked it, tried to sneak up on it, threw stuff at it (I'm certain my character couldn't hit the broadside of a barn). In the end I gave up because it was faster than me and I couldn't down it from range on the rare occasions I got close to it again.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 02, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »

The best way to actively hunt is probably the bow, but might be difficult to acquire if you didn't start with one. Next best I think would be javelins, make about 10 javelins and try to recover the missed ones as you chase the animal. But the easiest way to hunt I say is making a super long trap fence with pit traps. I recommend just normal pit traps and not spiked ones, because the animal will stay alive and thus won't rot before you get to it and you get experience from killing it. Down side to this is if you find a bear or something scary in your pit.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 02, 2012, 01:22:31 pm »

Thanks. I just bagged my first elk using a bow. It took a lot of patience but eventually I was able to hit it with a killshot.

I had a longbow from the start but after losing 3 out of 5 arrows (before I realised I could climb a tree to find them more easily) I was hesitant to use my last two. But after I killed the elk I was finally able to trade - I traded a bunch of elk cuts for some arrows and a rope from a hunter. This completed my trading quest which gave me an axe - so now I'm finally able to build stuff. My problem for a long time had been that I had no axe so I couldn't build a cellar or trap fences.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 02, 2012, 08:33:41 pm »

Little thing I've learned: It's easier to kill your followers if they are facing away from you to begin with.

E.g. Strike for legs
TACTICAL ADVANTAGE
Strike for head
He wields weapon
Strike for hand
He drops weapon
TACTICAL ADVANTAGE
etc.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 02, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »

Hunting, I find, is easiest with high skill in stealth, and to go naked with a woodsman's axe.  The trick is that you go hunting at night, in the later afternoon or early night there's still enough light to see some distance when you climb a tree, so you can spot creatures on the overmap.  Then approach them, and begin hiding.  Creep forward while they're asleep, and when you get next to them, perform a death blow on the neck.  Severe the head in one blow.  Works well with high strength, but I always go Owl Tribe because they're good with bows and stealth.

This works particularly well with bears, since they go to their caves frequently.  It becomes less 'hunting' and more 'shopping' when you know where the sleeping animal is.

Also: Set out plenty of fox traps.  Fox furs are the most valuable to foreign merchants, with a low-weight fox fur being more valuable than a high-weight bear fur.  Trade for good weapons and armor.  Keep your bear furs to make your own clothing, or to make footwear and sell.

Invest in a hunting knife.  They inflict bleeding wounds.  A fleeing animal will leave a trail of blood that you can follow until you find them bled out and dead, ready to be collected.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 02, 2012, 10:49:30 pm »

Stealth eh...

*Takes a step* CRUNCH
*Takes a step* CRUNCH
*Takes a step* CRUNCH
*Takes a step* CRUNCH
*Takes a step* CRUNCH
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 101