Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 288717 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1350 on: December 03, 2012, 12:46:05 am »

Larger physical size, lower dex/agility/hearing/sight/etc, lower skill, carried weight, and injury all hurt stealth.  If you haven't gone for stealth specifically from the get-go, then it's pretty tough to do any sneaking.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: December 03, 2012, 06:57:23 am »

Okay, hunting by sneaking up on things and lopping its head off.
I'm getting this game when I have the cash.
Wow. I am broke.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1352 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:11 am »

Larger physical size, lower dex/agility/hearing/sight/etc, lower skill, carried weight, and injury all hurt stealth.  If you haven't gone for stealth specifically from the get-go, then it's pretty tough to do any sneaking.

That's probably why my 6'6" character, despite having very high stats and low carry weight, always seemed to get detected. Apparently being big makes you a clumsy oaf that steps on sticks and kicks trees as he passes them even if you have maxed dex and agility. CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH "I'M SNEAKING"
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: December 03, 2012, 11:09:59 am »

Well, no matter how much you try, that bear-of-a-man is still gonna have trouble hiding behind things.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: December 03, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »

User error caused the death of my last character. I wanted to look at a person in the distance, instead I somehow managed to fire an arrow at somebody by pressing the wrong button. To make matters worse I was in the middle of a walled village. I tried hoofing it but the Driik hunters took me down with arrows after which I was cruelly mobbed by angry villagers. Oops.  :'(

My new character has been rather lucky so far. After I set up camp I noticed that there were several reindeer constantly tramping through it. Needless to say I didn't have a food problem for a while.

Which leads to my next question - if there were a lot of Reindeer there should I expect more to come this way in the future(my trap fence hasn't caught anything in a while).  The area is now known as my settlement since I started building - would that have made it so reindeer don't come anymore?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: December 03, 2012, 01:30:39 pm »

>Finally get amazing skill rolls, spawning in driik area right beside the sea
>Pick "unfortunate hunting accident"
>Spawn right beside a bear
>Killed on second turn

This game is cruel.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: December 03, 2012, 01:33:49 pm »

>Killed on second turn
Wait, really?  Every time I've picked it, there's been no animal at all.  In fact the forums confirmed this, as no one ever seemed to spawn with the bear.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: December 03, 2012, 01:43:55 pm »

>Killed on second turn
Wait, really?  Every time I've picked it, there's been no animal at all.  In fact the forums confirmed this, as no one ever seemed to spawn with the bear.

I've been killed by a bear after starting with that one too. And I've always seen a bear on the map after climbing a tree.

Not that I take that starting option too often.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:54 pm »

Heh, I apparantly got a heart shot on a stag, decapitated it with my axe, then skinned/gutted it. 335 cuts.
It's taken me three days to get it all drying.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: December 03, 2012, 03:39:06 pm »

Yep, stags are enormous.  Unfortunately so enormous that you cannot possibly use all the meat on your own.  I've tried, and never managed to get it all drying in time, and even roasted meat in a cellar will rot.  On top of that, raw meat is more expensive than cooked meat, but it takes a LOT of raw cuts to buy anything in shops.  The best suggestion I've found is to trade in cuts for knives and robes and shoes and whatever, and once you've collected some metal items, you can trade those for what you need, like felling axes and masterwork bows.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: December 03, 2012, 03:47:15 pm »

I have made a habit of trading meat for iron goods and furs. A decent trapfence will give yo more meat than you ever need, and its hard to have enough good axes, weapons and furs.
This is a blank sig.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: December 03, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »

Yep, stags are enormous.  Unfortunately so enormous that you cannot possibly use all the meat on your own.  I've tried, and never managed to get it all drying in time, and even roasted meat in a cellar will rot.  On top of that, raw meat is more expensive than cooked meat, but it takes a LOT of raw cuts to buy anything in shops.  The best suggestion I've found is to trade in cuts for knives and robes and shoes and whatever, and once you've collected some metal items, you can trade those for what you need, like felling axes and masterwork bows.

It's not that hard to get it all smoked, though. Just stick the raw meat in a cellar while you make preparations/trips to where ever you smoke it. Heck, during my current playthrough I managed to tan the hide from the Stag for cords and still get everything smoked in a nearby village.

I only ended up roasting about 10 cuts, which is easy to go through before it rots.

I may have to see about trading a bunch of meat for a good felling axe, though. I tried with about 70 cuts and that wasn't enough, but maybe more will do it.

Anyone know how much you need to trade for metal items in the current version?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: December 03, 2012, 04:13:45 pm »

I got all of it drying and in 25 days it will be in my cellar ready to last for the next three years :D
I also used the fat to tan the skin and now I have 26 pounds of stag fur which I can use for winter clothes, or go towards the fur kota I plan to make.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: December 03, 2012, 04:25:05 pm »

I don't know the specific weight, but a Kota requires a specific weight of fur per segment.  I presume it's 10 pounds, but I have no proof.  All I know is that in a previous version I made bear fur into a kota, took it down, make a hood (because ferocious bear masks), and rebuilt it into the kota and it worked with less than the whole weight.  I don't remember the exact point, but it stopped working for the Kota at some point, around 10-11 pounds.

So for that 23 pound fur?  Make some clothes and keep 10 pounds for a kota.  You can't cut fur in half, sadly.

ALSO: Metal items are a LOT more expensive, because they're all Masterwork.  The general stores (glove icon on the wall) usually sell no-quality items, so they're cheaper.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: December 03, 2012, 04:27:46 pm »

I don't know what do in this game after I have a big enough house and enough food to last me for months.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 101