Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 286791 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1395 on: December 05, 2012, 01:08:30 pm »

Minecraft isn't survival at all, really.  It was out for years before Notch was like, "Oh, right, hunger bar..."  Best equivalent is the ...  The mod I cannot for the life of me think of the name of.  Terra-Firma Craft!  Thank you Firefox download history.  It adds quite a bit more 'effort' to things, but once you get settled in it's still pretty easy.

Hunger bar, which lets you regen your life bar if full, no limbs or organs or anything targetable other than "body" and half the monsters are just griefers for the OCD folks that like to build in what is obviously a building game.

Games similar to Unreal have already been mentioned.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 05, 2012, 02:58:08 pm »

The closest to survival RPG that I know besides URW is Stranded2.

Singleplayer, 3D, realtime but the hard difficulty approaches URW for the first several minutes if you know what you are doing and you will just die on your first several attempts if you don't.

On the other hand URW shares many similarities with roguelikes, Adventure mode of Dwarf Fortress being one example.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 05, 2012, 03:02:26 pm »

I didn't like Stranded 2. Items didn't degrade, AI sucked, no sense of danger (there was wild animals, but also very easy to kill and even avoid)...and while it was kind of fun at first...it quickly became very easy. I never worried about food or anything. Granted, UW I'm sure will get to that point...but at least there is the danger still...and it takes a long time to get to that point (without cheating. And I'm not that great anyway).

I think a good one besides UW, would be Don't Starve. Die a lot, and its pretty hard. I haven't played too much though...been too busy. But the last patch added wolves/dogs or whatever they are, and those things kill you so easily.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 05, 2012, 04:05:28 pm »

Woohoo, killed my first bear. With an seal-man, who sneaked on him, hit him with his spear on the arms while he was sleeping, and played the game of who dodge the more until the bear finally died. No injuries.

I tried the pit without stakes, and I saw 2 tracks of reinders (with 2 traps triggered), but they escaped. So, I'll stick to spike (especially, since I haven't had one dead animal in spike pits, except me). I'm trying to learn to swim too (had only 12% at start), and I'm fishing a lot.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 05, 2012, 04:19:29 pm »

Woohoo, killed my first bear. With an seal-man, who sneaked on him, hit him with his spear on the arms while he was sleeping, and played the game of who dodge the more until the bear finally died.

It seems that his fate was spiritually sealed.

Also, swimming isn't all that useful. Just use a punt.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: December 06, 2012, 03:41:52 am »

So, I'm playing this again.

I've decided to start near Driik territory and load up on uncraftable supplies before heading off into the great white north to settle and not look back.

Here's my shopping list:
Carving Axe
Broad Axe
Woodsman's axe
2 Nets
2 Pots
Shovel
Seeds

Anything I should add or remove? I started with a handaxe, broad knife and a northern bow, so I'm set for those.

Also, I've never tried agriculture and don't actually know where to get seeds (outside of the game course or starting scenario, neither of which I picked). Where should I be looking?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 06, 2012, 04:05:21 am »

A punt and a splitting axe. Also grab a tub of water from a sauna. Maybe also spare clothes - you'll need only repairable stuff so that you don't need to buy new.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 06, 2012, 05:25:33 am »

Decent bow is probably also a good pickup, few dogs dont hurt either.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 06, 2012, 08:24:25 am »

I'd grab a tub, just because I enjoy having water available for tanning and cooking and stuff, but if you settle on the water's edge you can make do with several water skins, or just use the river directly.

Actually, do grab a tub.  And a sauna scoop.  That's something you can't make on your own, but is fairly important for a long-term camp, in no specific way.

Splitting axe is nice, but any given axe can perform any given task.  I built most of my home with just a hand axe.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 06, 2012, 09:01:45 am »

Just started my first, proper, play through (My other playthrough's, were just a half hearted attempts to play the game, and learn the controls). I started as a Kaumo hunter, with a juniper bow and a spear (I also started with a battleaxe, but I sucked at axe's, and it couldn't fell trees, so I sold it).

I started right next to a Driik village (Right at their northern border and under njerpez territory  :-\), and decided to climb up a tree to check what animals were in the area, and discovered that I WAS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A FOREST REINDEER HERD (seriously, I saw two reindeers, just taking a stroll inside the village (note: driikilais do not keep reindeers as pets)) I then started shopping hunting with me bow and arrow, and got my first reindeer (WOO!). I then proceeded to skin and butcher the carcass and started tanning the hide and smoking the meat (in a little sauna that the villagers were so kind to lend me), where I also spent my nights.

The rest of the days were similar, and I have, so far, bagged 3 reindeer's, they are actually quite easy to hunt, if you've got a good tracking skill, simply sneak up to it, fire a few shots at it, and then follow the tracks as it runs away, you'll get it eventually :P. Then I remembered that I actually have a course to do, and now I'm (ironically) stuck at the encounter animal part, because the damn game won't register that I've encountered and killed multiple animals, and a human, who I accidentally recruited when I asked him for help,. I then killed him, stole my stuff back (which I sold to him previously for a handaxe), butchered his corpse and sold it to the villagers (because while I refuse to eat human meat, I have no qualms selling it to stupid peasants ).
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: December 06, 2012, 11:30:25 am »

Splitting axe is nice, but any given axe can perform any given task.  I built most of my home with just a hand axe.

When I was building my little wooden house and a sauna, I bought two masterwork axes - a broad and a carving one. They proved to be useful, nearly halving the time needed to finish construction of a wall or cutting trunks into logs.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 06, 2012, 11:44:47 am »

How easy is this game to learn? It looks really interesting, but I don't really have the time for learning a super-complex game.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: December 06, 2012, 11:50:04 am »

Well, to start off with, do you have previous rogue-like experience?  A lot of the game is simpler if you do. After that, the game does in fact have a tutorial called "Living in the wild" to help you ease into it. It wont teach you the nuances of the game, but it definitely covers the basics, pace by pace. Really, oddly enough, I'll say this game does to an extent tolerate mistakes, given that it's fairly slow paced, and you have time to recover and try something again in a few days. Just don't get greedy or impatient. You can take that bear on when you're ready :P

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: December 06, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »

A punt and a splitting axe. Also grab a tub of water from a sauna. Maybe also spare clothes - you'll need only repairable stuff so that you don't need to buy new.
Decent bow is probably also a good pickup, few dogs dont hurt either.
I'd grab a tub, just because I enjoy having water available for tanning and cooking and stuff, but if you settle on the water's edge you can make do with several water skins, or just use the river directly.

Actually, do grab a tub.  And a sauna scoop.  That's something you can't make on your own, but is fairly important for a long-term camp, in no specific way.

I never steal from villages, so I'd have to find a tub for sale to get one. I'll keep my eyes peeled though. I usually settle next to water regardless, for fishing access and to aid in moving logs.

A punt sounds like a good idea. I'm considering getting an animal but I don't have much (any) experience with them and I'm afraid of having them run away, potentially while carrying my stuff. Also, does bringing a dog with you interfere with stealth?

Also, I still don't know where to find seeds. :P I'm also curious how much they usually cost, since I'm doing most of my shopping using wooden bowls and ratty squirrel pelts (and the pants/weapons off the occasional Njerp who no longer needs them).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: December 06, 2012, 12:16:17 pm »

I don't think tubs and scoops spawn in the wild shops though.  The only way to utilize them is to use a sauna in a village, or to steal the tub+scoop.  There's a lot of "what the player can make" that's left rather incomplete, among them saunas and nettle clothing and anything metal.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 101