Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 288534 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1410 on: December 06, 2012, 12:22:17 pm »

It might be worth having a crafting recipe for a tub if you don't plan on stealing one out of 10 boards and a block of wood, or something. It's something I don't recall finding on sale either.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: December 06, 2012, 12:42:37 pm »

Presumably tubs take nails, and your character has no fucking clue how metal works.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1412 on: December 06, 2012, 12:46:49 pm »

One could just carve it from a tree or log.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: December 06, 2012, 01:09:47 pm »

A punt sounds like a good idea. I'm considering getting an animal but I don't have much (any) experience with them and I'm afraid of having them run away, potentially while carrying my stuff. Also, does bringing a dog with you interfere with stealth?

Animals are pretty easy - When you buy one immediately apply the rope the seller gives you and they won't leave your side. If it is an animal you're leaving at your camp all you have to do is build a fenced area, climb inside, and apply the rope again to let them go.

I read on the URW forum that you can have up to two dogs following you without impacting how stealthy you are.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: December 06, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

Presumably tubs take nails, and your character has no fucking clue how metal works.
Actually, you can prolly make some decent wooden pegs to keep thinks in place.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: December 06, 2012, 01:32:48 pm »

I just discovered that I was playing an outdated version (3.14). I updated to the current version, tried hunting some reindeer, realised that they are invincible, omniscient, forest ninjas, and went back to the old version. At least they played fair before, now the only thing I ever see of a reindeer, is it's backside! I sincerely hope that he fixes stealth, because right now, hunting is pretty much impossible!
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: December 06, 2012, 01:39:46 pm »

Actually, I just hunted down a reindeer recently. You just need to shoot an arrow at it, then run at it at 14 km/h when it's in range, stabbing it to death with a spear. At it's higher levels, stealth is more reliable than it has been before, but it does need to be trained up fairly high, since animals are pretty powerful senses wise.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: December 06, 2012, 02:27:48 pm »

Actually, I just hunted down a reindeer recently. You just need to shoot an arrow at it, then run at it at 14 km/h when it's in range, stabbing it to death with a spear. At it's higher levels, stealth is more reliable than it has been before, but it does need to be trained up fairly high, since animals are pretty powerful senses wise.

The main problem is that you almost never catch up to it. The animals in this version are simply way too jumpy, running away at the slightest sound and seeing you while outside your screen, it's incredibly frustrating! It's pretty much a matter of luck, and if you've rolled an even slightly mediocre character, you are simply barred from hunting, forever. And when you've created a character who relies on being able to hunt, it's pretty damn painful.

Here's my average hunting scenario, with 3.14 and 3.15:
At 3.14 I'll,
1. Spot a reindeer.
2. Go to it's location.
3. Find it's tracks.
4. Find the reindeer.
5. Sneak up to it (about 4 tiles from the prey, if I'm lucky I could sneak right up to it and stab it).
6. Fire at the reindeer (I could probably get around 2-3 shots off, before it goes offscreen).
7. Repeat 4-6 until I've crippled it enough so I could walk up to it and finish it.
It's pretty challenging, but it's so worth it when you catch it.

In 3.15 it will go like this:
1. Find the reindeer on the map.
2. Find it's tracks.
3. Find the reindeer.
4. Attempt to sneak up to it, but fail.
5. Desperately fire at it, but miss.
6. Follow it's tracks.
7. Hear something running in the distance (it spotted me offscreen).
8. Curse a lot and track it again.
9. Find it, but fail again.
10. Plot about what horrible things I will do to it when I catch it.
11. Repeat 3-10.
12. Again.
13. And again.
14. And Again!
15. And Again!!
16. AND AGAIN!?!?!
17. Scream in frustration and desperation.
18. Wonder what I'm doing wrong
19. Give up, after an hour of desperately trying to kill it.
20. Kill a puppy.

See the difference :P.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:33:42 pm by sebcool »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: December 06, 2012, 02:33:22 pm »

As someone in this thread has recently said, running naked, full-tilt, with a broadsword and a fistful of RAGE, is actually pretty decent hunting.  Sneak up as best you can, and when you're discovered, immediately begin running.  The less you're carrying, the better.  If you fail to score the kill, then just wait to recover.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: December 06, 2012, 02:38:23 pm »

As someone in this thread has recently said, running naked, full-tilt, with a broadsword and a fistful of RAGE, is actually pretty decent hunting.  Sneak up as best you can, and when you're discovered, immediately begin running.  The less you're carrying, the better.  If you fail to score the kill, then just wait to recover.

I tried stripping completely naked, carrying only a spear, and could only go 9 km/h, before running a tile and falling to my standard running speed. I could never catch a reindeer that way.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: December 06, 2012, 02:44:32 pm »

-snip-

I think the difficulty of hunting is fairly balanced, and realistic. It makes hunting more difficult for a strong build (Kaumo), and more challenging, and interesting. Hunting isn't a free ticket for food, it's really hard to hunt (as it should be). Managing to kill a reinder is really an achievement, and you need to hit the first time you see him, else it's screwed up.
It means that you need some sneak to hunt now too.

Some tips : hunting at night (animals sleeping, easier to sneak by), lighter build for hunting, hunting near traps/lake/sea.

Btw, I saw some decent mods (didn't tested), including one with metalworking, one with tub, etc.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: December 06, 2012, 02:56:48 pm »

I've been meaning to pick up the metalworking mod.  It looks interesting, and makes it very challenging to make your own metal, but possible.  Lots of dredging swamps and lots of wood burning.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: December 06, 2012, 03:30:34 pm »

-snip-

I think the difficulty of hunting is fairly balanced, and realistic. It makes hunting more difficult for a strong build (Kaumo), and more challenging, and interesting. Hunting isn't a free ticket for food, it's really hard to hunt (as it should be). Managing to kill a reinder is really an achievement, and you need to hit the first time you see him, else it's screwed up.
It means that you need some sneak to hunt now too.

Some tips : hunting at night (animals sleeping, easier to sneak by), lighter build for hunting, hunting near traps/lake/sea.

Btw, I saw some decent mods (didn't tested), including one with metalworking, one with tub, etc.

While I know it's realistic that reindeer's can detect you from a mile away, it's not very fun. There's a very fine line between challenge and frustration, and while the previous version was challenging (as in, you had to sneak to effectively hunt and it took a long time and a lot of walking), it was also fair, if you played smart, and were a good tracker you could hunt an animal and, even with bad skills, be sure that you would get it eventually, if you didn't fuck up.

The 3.15... isn't. It's god damn annoying! Half the time, it'll see you and you can't, because the screens too small. If you fire at it, you'll almost always miss. If you sneak up to it (when it's back's turned to you), it will somehow get alarmed and run off.

I have pretty much heeded all of the hunting tips, done everything i could to hunt it down, but that reindeer is a god damn cheater, and I refuse to kill off my first successful character, because the AI won't play fair. And when I mean won't play fair, I'm not talking about handholding or some other bullshit, but actually having the AI play within the same limitations as me. I don't know where the wind is blowing, or how much i smell and how to mask it, so why should I, as a player, be punished for things I have no control of. I can't mask my smell, so why should it smell me. I can't see more than 11 squares in front of me, so why should I be punished for not seeing it coming. It gives you no ability to make up for your mistakes, because you don't make any mistakes, it makes them for you.

You see, when I hunt, I follow a track, as i follow it i hear something running, ok, I follow it again, I hear something running again, I follow the track, I see it at the border of the screen, it spots me instantly. there's no way i could have seen that it was there, nor that it was facing me. So i had no way to hide behind something. Sometimes, i find it sleeping, i sneak up to it, without a sound, then it jumps up, and runs off screen before i can fire a shot.

Killing a reindeer in this version isn't an 'achievement' it's luck, plain old luck. It would have been, if the game actually gave you the tools to hunt within the system. There are so many variables in the hunting system that we have no control of. It smells you, you can't do shit. It hears you, you can't do shit. It sees you, you can't do shit. It's so crazy that the only reliable way to hunt, is to strip naked, charge at it, and hope you outrun it. That ain't an achievement, that's just a good agility and endurance score. So the only way to catch any large game, is to literally be superhuman, made specifically to hunt and outrun animals.

That's not balanced or realistic, that's just fake difficulty.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:33:40 pm by sebcool »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: December 06, 2012, 03:52:50 pm »

I do have to agree on one point.  The most frustrating thing to me is when you can see further than you can see.  Screen is what, 9 tiles to the edge?  Sight range may be something closer to 20 on sunny days, I think.  If I could see the deer from that far, I'd know how to hide as I sneak up.  As it stands, it sees me before I can 'see' it.

So my only real hunting strategy is to stumble on them, where it puts you close by, and then naked broadsword.

Otherwise, sneak up during the night...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: December 06, 2012, 04:01:23 pm »

your problem is that you're trying to hunt reindeer.
the (...) thing with reindeer is that they're always found in herds, and when fleeing, they cover each other tracks. add to that their uncanny awareness of everything that surrounds them, and pincushioning one of them becomes quite the feat
go for stags and elks. i never hunted a reindeer, and never had any problem feeding mysel
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 101