Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 288746 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1425 on: December 06, 2012, 04:14:23 pm »

Approximately 7 out of 10 reindeers I've snuck up on were killed, mostly thanks to my longbow and arrows. Having 70% stealth wasn't very nice - frustrating at times, in fact - but I think I did pretty well, considering I was a Kaumo. As long as you have:
- high bow
- moderate to high stealth
- good build
- shitsacks of luck
- optionally climbing

you can hunt them. Or, if you're having a bad luck, just live off squirrels or have a shelter near the rapids with 'oi wanna be a drunkn sailah' scenario.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 06, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »

I think it's because the sneak skill is now far more important on your sucessful sneak. And as bigger build (Kaumo) are bad for that, they aren't as good hunter.

My last character was an Owl man (custom, no superman), so he was light, and he managed to kill 2 reinders in the first few days. Once the reinder was wounded (javelin), it was pretty much over, I just had to follow it, sneak, and throw a javelin. After 2-3 times, I can catch him up and finish it at melee. Yes, sneaking is harder, but the only real limitation it makes, is that you can't do a character who is average/good in everything (aka Kaumo). It's possible to sneak on a sleeping animal without waking him up (until you hit him), without being superman. But maybe not as an all-around good character.

As far as I know, there is no really smell/hear to detect you. It's only sight, and your sneak skill, which interacts with their own sense skills. I think that we should be able to see at our real range, instead of the screen limit, but other than that, I find it acceptable.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 06, 2012, 04:21:05 pm »

Pretty sure you can still reliably kill reindeer. You need to be persistent, and patient. The trick to it is that stealth works differently now, you actually need to be near something in order to not be seen, since sneaking is first and foremost a way to not make noise, it doesn't render you invisible. A solid shot to the body is all it took to get it's speed under my running speed, which was 13 km/h, and would have been 14 if I hadn't stumbled on the deer while taking care of something else. It's definitely doable, You just likely need a lot of arrows, and a willingness to keep following the deer.

And honestly, you only need to pull that off once a month to get by. That's a 100 cuts on that deer, and a decently large hide.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 06, 2012, 04:23:50 pm »

Yeah, I really wish we had a zoom-out to sight range button. Sure, everything would be smaller, but at least we could see what our character can see.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: December 06, 2012, 04:28:53 pm »

Yeah, I really wish we had a zoom-out to sight range button. Sure, everything would be smaller, but at least we could see what our character can see.

And I wish we could adapt the size of the windows. The current resolution isn't really doing well.

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:26 am »

Greetings fellow UrW sentients, i come before you seeking advice.
I am roleplaying a hermit defender of the driik culture and i was wondering of a method to clean a village of njerks by myself, as a challenge.
Tried it before with bow and stealth+hide trying to lure them one by one but it did not work so well, they have a habit to stick together like bros. I don't want to team up with others either, what other alternatives do i have

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 07, 2012, 03:02:49 am »

Get high stealth,
good bow/knife/spear,
sneak up on them during midnight,
???
profit roleplay

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 07, 2012, 03:24:52 am »

They start screaming and alert others, too big of a gamble in my opinion but thanks for the suggestion

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 07, 2012, 06:27:41 am »

Greetings fellow UrW sentients, i come before you seeking advice.
I am roleplaying a hermit defender of the driik culture and i was wondering of a method to clean a village of njerks by myself, as a challenge.
Tried it before with bow and stealth+hide trying to lure them one by one but it did not work so well, they have a habit to stick together like bros. I don't want to team up with others either, what other alternatives do i have

Longsword,
Wooden Buckler,
Green clothes,
Braveheart.
FREEDOOOOOOOOM.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 07, 2012, 07:53:27 am »

what about building traps around their village

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 07, 2012, 09:35:14 am »

I think it's because the sneak skill is now far more important on your sucessful sneak. And as bigger build (Kaumo) are bad for that, they aren't as good hunter.

My last character was an Owl man (custom, no superman), so he was light, and he managed to kill 2 reinders in the first few days. Once the reinder was wounded (javelin), it was pretty much over, I just had to follow it, sneak, and throw a javelin. After 2-3 times, I can catch him up and finish it at melee. Yes, sneaking is harder, but the only real limitation it makes, is that you can't do a character who is average/good in everything (aka Kaumo). It's possible to sneak on a sleeping animal without waking him up (until you hit him), without being superman. But maybe not as an all-around good character.

As far as I know, there is no really smell/hear to detect you. It's only sight, and your sneak skill, which interacts with their own sense skills. I think that we should be able to see at our real range, instead of the screen limit, but other than that, I find it acceptable.

I think I heard the dev mention that sound and smell were also calculated.

your problem is that you're trying to hunt reindeer.
the (...) thing with reindeer is that they're always found in herds, and when fleeing, they cover each other tracks. add to that their uncanny awareness of everything that surrounds them, and pincushioning one of them becomes quite the feat
go for stags and elks. i never hunted a reindeer, and never had any problem feeding mysel

Well, I'd do that if reindeer weren't the only type of big game within miles of my home. I actually haven't had any problem with the flock's, my prey always seems to isolate itself when i start chasing it, it's the whole magically making me painfully inaccurate and running away before i see it that's the problem, but thanks for the advice :)

Anyway, I'll probably stick with the previous version, until my guy's a better hunter/i'm a better player/an update arrives that nerfs reindeer.

Edit: Bought a Northern Bow from a shop down south, proceeded to hunt and kill a stag, it took 4 arrows to just stop it and I could only carry half of the meat. (Note to self: Get a dog)

Edit Edit: Found another elk while walking to my village, after selling some of the stag meat for a carving axe. I felled it with two well aimed shots to the hip and the hoof. The elk collapsed, unable to walk, and as it slowly dragged it's two unusable hind legs behind it, I calmly walked up to it, readied my spear, and finished the elk. I then stood a little, shocked over the sheer brutality of the kill. Just imagining it desperately dragging it's hind legs, arrows sticking out of various places, while roaring for help, and then stabbing it 5-6 times until it's dead... It makes me feel very evil. I then skinned and butchered it, 'cause 's a shame t' waste good meat.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:10:23 pm by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 07, 2012, 05:12:03 pm »

Also. how do you raise the stealth skill?

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: December 07, 2012, 05:30:45 pm »

By sneaking, I guess.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 07, 2012, 05:52:44 pm »

Anyone know if sneaking around in general will improve the stat? Or do you have to have things to be hiding from for it to matter?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 07, 2012, 07:31:36 pm »

From the 3.15 changelog :
- fixed: sneaking on wilderness map - not possible anymore

It was kind of an exploit to be able to hide and sneak on the wilderness
map as it allowed improving in STEALTH with no NPCs around.

So, I guess you need to sneak on a NPC to improve sneaking. Also, I think it's limited by your build (at least, your build has an influence on your base sneak), the smaller the better.

About sound and smell, I think it's just a chance based on their sound/smell minus your stealth. I doubt there's a real sound/smell simulation.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:35:42 pm by PanH »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 101