Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 286747 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1305 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40:34 am »

I don't think I've ever taken out an Elk by hunting. Trapping, sure, lots of times, but never with hunting.

On the other hand, I snuck up on a sleeping wolf last night and managed to take it out pretty easily. So that was a good use of Sneak.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 15, 2012, 11:53:44 am »

It's easy enough to sneak on sleeping creatures.  I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 15, 2012, 12:18:07 pm »

It's easy enough to sneak on sleeping creatures.  I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Oh god, my sides! I'm sigging that.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: November 15, 2012, 01:48:29 pm »

You Casanova you.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: November 15, 2012, 03:39:11 pm »

Ive managed to bag more than a few elk/deer by pinning them up against the coast.  I had one base set up on the edge of a lake and the damn things wandered through on a weekly basis.  It got to the point where I was just ignoring them.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 15, 2012, 03:42:10 pm »

I've got a trap fence being built, and I caught 5 forest reindeer.  10 pound fur for each, not bad.  Been using the cuts to buy arrows, hire adventurers, and then shoot them.  I've also started collecting dogs...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 15, 2012, 04:09:59 pm »

I've also started collecting dogs...

Everyone needs a hobby.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: November 15, 2012, 06:43:47 pm »

Wow guys, in this game, bulimia is awesome! If you're getting malnourished but can't seem to get enough food in (because, once you're full, you can't eat anymore) just go ahead and eat spoiled food! You'll vomit it right away, and will have room for more and more, until you're super-well-fed. Sure you'll get some minor injuries (nausea), but it's a good way to avoid dying. It also goes away in just a few minutes.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:47:10 pm by Sergius »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 15, 2012, 08:32:43 pm »

It's a waste of food, you only get to use about 1/2 of it before the other is barfed up, but it's rotten anyways.  You might as well eat it.  As bonus points, rotten food doesn't "spoil" so you can keep 2-year-old rotten meat around indefinitely.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:36 pm »

Yeah but what I mean is that spoiled food is actually better than unspoiled at nutrition, since you can keep eating and barfing and eating ignoring the "hunger" cap :D

Barfing doesn't reduce nutrition, only hunger.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 15, 2012, 10:23:35 pm »

This is true.  I'm building a 3x5 (5x7 exterior) cabin, and doing so often drops my nutrition.  Eating rotten food helps me recover it very quickly.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 16, 2012, 01:30:08 am »

Learned something interesting this evening. Playing with one of my more established characters and was checking my traps. Found a Forest Raindeer hanging out near some of the Light Levers I have set up to catch smaller game. Because of where it was, it couldn't get past me without going through a trap. It didn't even TRY, even though they probably wouldn't have hurt it too much. So I got a free kill and now have 68 Raindeer cuts smoking in a nearby village.  :D

None of the traps were triggered, so I know it hadn't broken a foot or anything. Figured it might be useful knowledge for people.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rhazak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:47 am »

I'm starting to think sneaking is bugged. Even when I use the easy start to give myself incredibly high Stealth and a slim build, and even without any twig snapping or anything and while still in Hiding, animals just psychically know I'm there and flee. I mean, I know sneaking up on animals IRL isn't easy at all, but what's the point of even having sneak in the game if it doesn't actually work even with incredibly favorable factors? Often I can't even get within reasonable bow range, nevermind melee.

Maybe you do this already but what I do is, I go into hide mode, and pay close attention the animals view indicator thing(blue arrow) and only move when it's looking away from you, also pay attention to the game message log if it gets alert you have stop moving then skip a turn or two until it looks in another direction again, being behind trees might help.
Moving while he's looking in your direction will pretty much always get you seen, also try to shoot from higher ground and avoid shooting animals on higher ground than you unless you want your arrows to end up in space...

And another tip I can share from recent experience, when raiding a village of mostly unarmed peasants, don't use javelins...they'll just pick them up and throw them right back at you. :(

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:59 am »

I'm starting to think sneaking is bugged. Even when I use the easy start to give myself incredibly high Stealth and a slim build, and even without any twig snapping or anything and while still in Hiding, animals just psychically know I'm there and flee. I mean, I know sneaking up on animals IRL isn't easy at all, but what's the point of even having sneak in the game if it doesn't actually work even with incredibly favorable factors? Often I can't even get within reasonable bow range, nevermind melee.

Maybe you do this already but what I do is, I go into hide mode, and pay close attention the animals view indicator thing(blue arrow) and only move when it's looking away from you, also pay attention to the game message log if it gets alert you have stop moving then skip a turn or two until it looks in another direction again, being behind trees might help.
Moving while he's looking in your direction will pretty much always get you seen, also try to shoot from higher ground and avoid shooting animals on higher ground than you unless you want your arrows to end up in space...

And another tip I can share from recent experience, when raiding a village of mostly unarmed peasants, don't use javelins...they'll just pick them up and throw them right back at you. :(

Hm, no, I never thought to put that much thought into sneaking in; I assumed it was meant to say they weren't aware of you until the message log said they were. I'll give that a shot.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: November 16, 2012, 08:02:03 am »

That worked significantly better. Thanks, I think I understand how the stealth system works now.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 101