Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 286784 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1365 on: December 03, 2012, 04:32:42 pm »

Begin the ethnic cleansing of the Njerpez

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: December 03, 2012, 04:46:42 pm »

With fire.
Spoiler: But (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:49:38 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: December 03, 2012, 04:58:31 pm »

With fire.
Spoiler: But (click to show/hide)

Setting a campfire beside/inside a wooden house will set the house alight, IIRC.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: December 03, 2012, 06:50:47 pm »

I decided to go for this game, since you guys made it sound interesting enough.
Having a decent time so far.
Started off as the Seal-Tribe, had a Trident and two knives for weapons.
I found a long mail cowl at the camp I spawned at, as well as an arrow.
All my hunting attempts failed, until.
Oh look, a vagabond hunter.
Oh look, he just went to sleep in front of me.
Oh look, I have a trident.
Oh look, he has a skull.
*Stab*
Woo.
41 cuts of Vagabond Hunter Meat.
As well as some other stuff.
Maybe i'll get to work on a house next time I play.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: December 04, 2012, 12:18:47 am »

Axes are more fun.  You can land a killing blow to the neck and lop off the head entirely.  You can also go into a village and hire people for meat (Vagabond meat, as it were) and then kill them for More Meat.

Also, I don't think lightning will strike in the current version.  But fire does generally spread to loose flammable items nearby.  You can effectively make a "fuse" of firewood.

rausm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: December 04, 2012, 08:42:01 am »

Larger physical size, lower dex/agility/hearing/sight/etc, lower skill, carried weight, and injury all hurt stealth.  If you haven't gone for stealth specifically from the get-go, then it's pretty tough to do any sneaking.

A while back I started a test character (medium phys. size), gave him hundred in everything, had him dressed only in cloth, kept just 10 or so javelins & a hunting knife and went sneaking.

He went like: Step step crunch, step step crunch, step step crunch.

Of course, I forgot to get naked, maybe then he would manage whole three steps without alerting the whole forest.

I have made a habit of trading meat for iron goods and furs. A decent trapfence will give yo more meat than you ever need, and its hard to have enough good axes, weapons and furs.

Not necessarily, never managed to catch anything. Huge-ass, four map-squares spanning trap-fence (with trap-pits of course, no need to suggest i add them ;-), nothing in two month's time so i stopped checking.

Well, not _entirely_ true, managed to "catch" myself in one of the spiked trap pits myself thanks to some "clever maneuvering" ;-)

In the meantime, I managed to get a punt, 9 nets, shovel, all the axes, knife, battleaxe, broadsword, warm clothes for winter, clothes to make cords (ok, I bought at least one piece of practically everything ;-))). Thanks to the miracle of torches.

Nets = infinite food.
Torches = infinite "money"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: December 04, 2012, 09:41:29 am »

Placing your trap fence is an issue of location.  Don't just start building, unless you plan on building a LOT.  Look around for where creatures are.  If you see some elk, then there's more likely to be elk there later.  Some areas are just no good for traps, or no good for pit traps.  Snares might work because smaller animals are more local.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: December 04, 2012, 11:50:18 am »

Torches are no longer really valuable.

rausm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:12 pm »

Placing your trap fence is an issue of location.  Don't just start building, unless you plan on building a LOT.  Look around for where creatures are.  If you see some elk, then there's more likely to be elk there later.  Some areas are just no good for traps, or no good for pit traps.  Snares might work because smaller animals are more local.

This I "heard" before attempting to do it. I chose the area exactly because I ~regularly encountered deer (or something deer-like, didn't waste time examining what they were, never downed any) in the area when traveling to villages, so after a few failed attempts to bag a some of those buggers i thought: Here. Here i shall set up my trap fence and have access to all this free meat.

Didn't build too close to my house (well, back then a river-side cellar with a shelter) or village (didn't know whether it would scare them away), at least 5 map tiles away from the nearest settlement

Like i said, it was "highly successful endeavor", so after a while i just hung up a sign "Gone fishing" on the trap fence and went the way of the fish-eating torch-grinding cheater businessman :-/

Maybe i'll try after the winter, I'm planning a second house on ocean side / island. But who knows, perhaps some raiders will visit during the winter or at least I'll wake up with a bear sleeping in the bed with me or something else. So far it is way too peacefull. One squirrel, one or two deers that didn't net me much cause i encountered them too far away from home and even then i got so many fish the meat managed to spoil before i could eat it (roasted, in the cellar, no fireplace to smoke it back then ...)

• If I (manage to) wipe up a village just for a bit of action, will other neighbors get mad at me ?
  • I've read that i could raid village fields & I did so (in pretty hardcore style: parked a punt next to the field, harvested all day & dropped it all the boat, then went home to store it all & sleep. Repeated ad nauseum. Then I've read that it will get villagers upset, but they still peacefully traded with me. Is it just harvesting exactly on the village map square that ticks them off ? Or do they figure it out later (not all of the plants could be harvested, so perhaps it was too soon for them to go harvest & figure it out) ? 
  • How many self-transporting meat-cans companions would get one through winter ? If it's a reasonable number (not to small or large), perhaps I'll try going through winter without touching any other supplies - which I've got a shitload of.

Well, at least i shall take a few stacks of smoked fish and go try to wipe a Njerpez village and be back before winter (so far i've pretty much sat on my ass in the lower-left corner of the map, so i might as well get a bit of a feeling for the time required for long-distance travel.

Along the way I'll try how villagers react to having trap-pits built in the middle of their village. And perhaps eat my first bite of hu^h^hchicken meat.

Wish me luck everyone, and I'll bring you fresh juicy Hum[an]burgers ;-)

But fire does generally spread to loose flammable items nearby.  You can effectively make a "fuse" of firewood.

When setting up fields, I filled a rectangular area with wooden blocks, set one on fire and then still had to go and light each and every one of them. Also lighting a fire right next to a tree didnt set the tree on fire. So perhaps it works only with certain types of wood / wooden products ?

Torches are no longer really valuable.

Valuable enough to buy anything I required. Much less bothersome then crafting cups / other wooden crap (no tree felling/hauling/chopping, you can move a stack of ~1200 branches in just ~2 minutes, crafted relatively fast). I checked the wiki and unless it's wrong, they are worth 11 cuts of meat. They weight 1lbs each. That makes them 11x more valuable than meat for the same weight. Good enough for me.

Everybody accepted them, in case of multiple / expensive items just offering more torches then just one-at-a-time did the trick.

Unless you are talking about the 3.15 beta, which i don't have (3.14-4).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:24:24 pm by rausm »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: December 04, 2012, 12:32:06 pm »

Firewood makes a pretty good fuse. I set my field with 2 pieces on each square and most of them caught fire on their own after I lit the first one.

I also burned down two trees that happened to be next to the field. Fortunately, they were away from the rest of the forest so I didn't burn down anything else.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: December 04, 2012, 01:10:44 pm »

Yeah, that's how I burn my fields- I set up ~10 twigs/branches on each field, lit one up, and go grainflail an elk or something

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: December 04, 2012, 01:24:52 pm »

Torches in 3.14 are exploity. 3.15 torches are fixed.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: December 04, 2012, 01:39:03 pm »

Yeah, you actually have to grind bowls now, just like in Haven&Hearth.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: December 04, 2012, 04:47:22 pm »

Woo, just killed my first stag.
Looks like I won't be starving.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:18 pm »

Bought this game a few days ago after seing this thread.

I have an issue : there's a park near where I currently live, with squirels. Should I wait winter for them getting their winter fur  :D ?

rausm :
As I heard, reputation works village by village (Sami on the UrW forums).
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 101