Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 286781 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1380 on: December 05, 2012, 12:32:52 am »

I have an issue : there's a park near where I currently live, with squirels. Should I wait winter for them getting their winter fur  :D ?
The answer is actually twofold:
1: Yes, before winter.  It starts getting cold in the months before, so it's best to already be prepared.
2: No, because squirrels are too small for significant fur.  It's probably possible (and awesome-looking) to stitch together some 50 squirrel hides into a cloak, but it's more practical to sell squirrel hides for more ammo and catch something bigger.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: December 05, 2012, 05:11:39 am »

I have an issue : there's a park near where I currently live, with squirels. Should I wait winter for them getting their winter fur  :D ?
1: Yes, before winter.  It starts getting cold in the months before, so it's best to already be prepared.
2: No, because squirrels are too small for significant fur.  It's probably possible (and awesome-looking) to stitch together some 50 squirrel hides into a cloak, but it's more practical to sell squirrel hides for more ammo and catch something bigger.

I believe he/she meant RL...Or is this intended?

Now I wonder whether that park has enough squirrel for what you suggested, or... maybe not.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 05, 2012, 06:09:22 am »

It looks to me that both the question and the answers were firmly standing with one foot in real world. :)

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:11 am »

Greetings, i share the passion for this game, that is what made me register a home in the bay.
I have to know something, do you know of other games that reached similar realistic features and is still a rpg?
Does minecraft have the same level of detail as this game?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:12 am »

minecraft is nothing like this...

there's this game, it's a bit sillier and it's a side scroller, but it might do?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 05, 2012, 09:37:25 am »

I am depress.
My character, the best one I had so far, just got owned by a bear.
I had most of a decent house done, too.
So yeah, sadness.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: December 05, 2012, 09:43:50 am »

I recently ran into my first bear too. Armed with more arrows than good sense I set out to hunt the fuzzy monstrosity. Apparently arrows just make bears angry. My dog that I had with my probably saved my life, but I was so badly injured after the encounter I couldn't hunt for weeks. But that gave me enough time to build a glorious trap fence near my camp where elk and reindeer like to travel. Now I have so much smoked meat that I don't think I'm going to need to hunt for a long while.

I think my next endeavour is going to be trapping beavers and minks for their fur. Does anyone have experience with that? What is the best kind of traps to catch them?

Greetings, i share the passion for this game, that is what made me register a home in the bay.
I have to know something, do you know of other games that reached similar realistic features and is still a rpg?

Minecraft does have a survival aspect to it, but that part of it is not as fleshed out as it is in URW. It's still a good game if you like building and spelunking.

Another survival game I've heard about that is recent is called "Don't Starve". I haven't played it though, so I don't know how it compares.

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 05, 2012, 10:39:59 am »

The only game that resembles this one and i like it more because the biotope is more carved out (animals interacting, trees growing etc) is haven and hearth (salem too) but it is an mmo and the human element and the lag killed my determination to play it.
This game is decent, and it will have to do.
Awaiting new implementations with interest

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:30 am »

Last Winter > New world Americas. Single player. Super indie, developed by Urb (Maker of mud and blood) originally in french, hasn't been updated in years). Costs money to buy, but you can download a trial Here (at the very bottom of the page).

Wurm Online > Medieval MMO. Graphics are a bit dated, but the gameplay is very fun. Gets repetitive after a while. Maps are generated, then players settle them, modify them (create mountains, mine tunnels through mountains, etc) and literally create their own economy. Several servers with differing game styles. Very few rules on the PvP servers, with the exception being player enforced rules. Disobey on pain of death squad arriving at your door step with catapults, again, literally. Recently overhauled and ma-freakin-hoosively updated. Future looks very promising. There's a few Wurm threads here on Bay12, including a village run (and failed) by me.

Haven and Hearth > MMO. Similar to Wurm and Salem (would link it, but I haven't heard a thing about it in months and haven't tried it myself). Updates seem a bit slack. Community also seems a bit crap.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:52:43 am by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 05, 2012, 10:56:06 am »

Haven development has been kinda abandoned due to work on Salem. Player population is very low now, so it's safer than it used to be, but lag is atrocious.

As for Salem, it's been quiet for months due to lack of new content and it being kinda content poor. But they've recently finished work on the technical stuff that they've been focused on for those months, so weekly content updates have resumed and the game is getting rounded out nicely. Still a long way to go, but there's a lot more stuff to do now.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 05, 2012, 11:01:02 am »

Thank you. It's true that they are quite small, and there's only a dozen (at most) squirels, so I'll sell their fur.

Btw, killed 2 reinder, by hunting, the first badly wounded by my javelins, and the second that I trapped between a lake and me. But my fence traps doesn't seem to get anything.

Edit : just found 2 Stag in a trap. Sorry, a stag and an elk.

Edit2 : Most stupid way to die : I went tan the 2 hides, and then, get back to the trap to get the meat (that I was going to sell, there was too much), and spawned just near the trap. Missclic and I fell in, and died.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:10:49 am by PanH »

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 05, 2012, 11:09:42 am »

I think my next endeavour is going to be trapping beavers and minks for their fur. Does anyone have experience with that? What is the best kind of traps to catch them?

Beavers spend most of their time in the water from what I can tell, the only way ive been able to get them is by chasing them in my punt and shooting them with arrows, its pretty much pointless unless you have alot of spare arrows and high archery skill, as if you miss the arrows sink, dead beavers dont though.  Minks you should be able to catch with some of the small/med traps like small stone traps.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 05, 2012, 12:31:41 pm »

Go for foxes for fur.  There's a specific fox trap for them which works very well.  Fox furs are the most valuable to foreign traders.  Though if you're going for luxury then hunt whatever seems most luxurious to you!

Don't build spike pits.  They cost more lumber and they usually kill.  This means if you fall in, it's big trouble, and if the animal falls in, the corpse may disappear before you can harvest it.  Regular pits keep the meat fresh longer and you get a sprained ankle at worst if you fall in.  It's also good for foreign traders, if you have trouble finding them to trade with, you can check your pits.  Chances are there will be one loitering at the bottom, still willing to trade!  Leave him there long enough and he'll manage to escape.  That's in case you're going a slightly-more-legit route on trade.  I capture and kill traders, myself.

Minecraft isn't survival at all, really.  It was out for years before Notch was like, "Oh, right, hunger bar..."  Best equivalent is the ...  The mod I cannot for the life of me think of the name of.  Terra-Firma Craft!  Thank you Firefox download history.  It adds quite a bit more 'effort' to things, but once you get settled in it's still pretty easy.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 05, 2012, 12:45:03 pm »

I started using spiked pits after getting mauled by a bear that clambered out of a normal pit. Injured bears are much easier to deal with, and I check my traps pretty regularly.

I do feel bad for the traders, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 05, 2012, 12:45:23 pm »

Beavers spend most of their time in the water from what I can tell, the only way ive been able to get them is by chasing them in my punt and shooting them with arrows, its pretty much pointless unless you have alot of spare arrows and high archery skill, as if you miss the arrows sink, dead beavers dont though.  Minks you should be able to catch with some of the small/med traps like small stone traps.

Careful with beavers. One attacked me, and I ended with some shallow tears. I have crappy weapons, but still. On the other hand, bears seems to flee when they see me.
The fox trap is very good, but requires baits. But with some rituals (Fox, and Trapping), you can end with a lot of foxes.

I prefer spike traps, because I had some animals that escaped from pits. I even had a bear that escaped from a spike pit, without a bloodtrack (but that may just be bad luck). Most of the time, the stag/elk/reinders in my spike traps are still alive, or unconscious, so it's perfect.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 101