Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Steep learning curves that are worth it  (Read 19431 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Steep learning curves that are worth it
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2008, 08:38:26 pm »

I liked real battle terrain and single units with personal habits.
But the gameplay was not perfect, there were details that need some work.
But the game was still very fun for me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2008, 10:22:20 pm »

Age of Wonders 2 was amazing.  I never played the first, but I read a review of the second saying, "How could they really improve a Game of the Year game?" and, "Holy crap, they did."  Which is why I got it.  AoW:Shadow Magi was one I played some of, but didn't get as deeply into.  Forget why.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2008, 01:19:54 am »

I played AoW 2 hoping for an improved-upon version of AoW.  I didn't get one.

AoW2 is a nice game, don't get me wrong.  It's just that AoW2's atmosphere would implode under the pressure of AoW's atmosphere.  It was that good.

The demo's still floating around out there, and if you're into that sort of game the demo will give you good memories that you will carry with you for years to come.  It is the only game where I have ever felt nostalgia for the demo, enough to look at a couple unit portraits that were changed in the full version.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2008, 01:24:10 am »

I thought about actually getting AoW1, but haven't because I know that combat maps start units way way far apart and it would bug the sh*t out of me.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2008, 10:09:41 am »

Things I like about MOM.
- Races: each race it's almost unique in every aspect. Each race had a unique combination of buildings and units that, even if shared with a couple of other races, got unique race bonuses. A unit of draconian spearmen is as different of a group of troll spearmen as their are different from hafling spearmen. Not to mention the overpowered dark-elf spearmen. In comparison, Civ's civilizations are all the same except for some minor bonuses and an unique unit per civ.

Master of Magic, and Master of Orion (1) were the only good XXXX games IMO.

And Myrran Adamantine Halflings FTW.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2008, 11:57:27 am »

oh come on, civ1 was pretty good for it's time (though I don't think anyone ever plays that anymore, unlike MoM)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2008, 12:31:24 pm »

I still play Master of Orion 1 sometimes. It's something I pick up once or twice a year, play once through, and put it down. But something that consistently brings me back is still really good.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2008, 03:01:00 am »

Wow. My thread is still alive?

Well, I gave Derek Smart the benefit of the doubt. And regret it. Awesome in concept, yet hollow in execution. Terribly hollow. Tried way too hard to make something much larger than he probably can.

MOO1 was addictive. Empires was alright, and much more detailed than GalCiv, although GalCiv was much more comfortably streamlined. I have yet to find the god of all space RTS/RTT's, though I still have yet to play Sins of a Solar Empire.

The great space sims were all back in the day. Hated the X series. All it was good for was a simple trading simulator. Decent economy emulation. Horribly clunky controls though, which also helped kill the sluggish combat. I'm certain there are mods to fix some of it, but it will never support anything more than letting you dominate the virtual market. The warp gate choke points made using the capital ships, or commanding them, impossible.

Any good tactical squad based? XCOM finally burned out for me.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2008, 05:22:49 am »

Any good tactical squad based? XCOM finally burned out for me.
Jagged Alliance 2 - lead a group of mercenaries through a banana republic on a non-linear route to victory. Contains RPG and strategy elements.

Silent Storm - lead a group of special soldiers through a relatively linear sequence of missions during WWII with a few sci-fi twists. Contains full building destruction and RPG elements.

Jagged Alliance 3 on the Silent Storm engine (coming soon) - not sure how this'll play out yet, but it sounds like something between JA2 and SS.

WH40k: Chaos Gate - apparently the greatest challenge of the game is getting it to run without crashing when a freaking cultist shoots. Seemed pretty good to me during those few turns of the first mission before a cultist tried to shoot.

Other than that, not really. There are some RT tactical squad based games, but I've yet to encounter one where line formation didn't do wonders despite being a stupid tactic (especially agains't automatic weapons).

On a different note, there's UFO2000, sort of a UFO for multiplayer. My biggest gripe with it is the graphics, you can use some of theirs or the UFO ones if you've got the files, but they apply some crappy photoshop filter, which makes everything smudgy, real next-gen, just add bloom. There's also the issue of explosives galore - you wouldn't do this in UFO due to budget, here there's nothing after the battle, so you may as well go crazy (and it's super effective).

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2008, 06:16:00 am »

Idiom, if you haven't played X-Com Apocalypse in real-time mode, you're missing out.  Too many people dismiss Apocalypse as being untrue to the genre (it's not).  Also, its turn based mode isn't nearly as fun... because you can't move while firing in it.  X-Com Apocalypse is all about sending three soldiers walking slowly down a corridor towards the alien hordes, shoulder to shoulder, with their autocannons all blazing HE rounds on full-auto.  Or two-fisting SMGs.  The rest of the game besides the tactical isn't as amazing, but I think they nailed that part of gameplay.

Other than that...I wish I knew of another good tactical one!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2008, 08:39:34 am »

If you don't hate RTwP tactics then try E5 and 7.62. (Same combat engine but different graphics) There are issues but the degree of combat realism on highest difficulty is unchallenged and enemies' AI is pretty good. Do not expect more then lot of tactical combat from it though.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2008, 09:59:50 am »

If you don't hate RTwP tactics then try E5 and 7.62. (Same combat engine but different graphics) There are issues but the degree of combat realism on highest difficulty is unchallenged and enemies' AI is pretty good. Do not expect more then lot of tactical combat from it though.

Sorry...what exactly are you referring to?  I just kinda stumbled upon this and I'm really bad at acronyms :(
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2008, 11:11:03 am »

Brigade E5:New Jagged Union, published by Strategy First. Probably a Demo exists.
Unfortunately it looks like 7,62 is not yet translated to English :(. It is basically more of the same.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2008, 05:24:34 pm »

Oh yeah!  Close Combat III.  The best of the whole series IMO.  You control roughly 10 squads, but they're atomic (you can't split soldiers off from them at all, you give orders as a unit).  It's great for feeling realistic, tactics-wise, and even better if you're a fan of WWII Germany vs Russia.

It's particularly notable because of how low the death rate can be sometimes.  If your squads are in a house and in a trench, and their squads are hiding in a riverbed and behind a wall popping their heads up to shoot... you're not going to see many people die at all.  Mostly you just keep firing to keep them pinned down, so they can't move away to flank your other squad...because your AT turret that you scavenged from a tank would SHRED their one light tank...but if they could sneak that tank past your gun somehow, they would blow your guys in that house away.  In the meantime, you've got a scout unit crawling through tall grass past their tank, to get to their back lines, and try to find their mortars before one of those shots gets close enough to your AT turret to kill a few guys.  And when I say "pinned down" by the way, I mean that your guys will often just plain refuse to move when being shot at.  And if you ordered a squad to run, and they get caught by surprise machinegun fire...well, you'll wish you ordered them to crawl.

It's fun multiplayer, even though very often several *minutes* will pass with absolutely no apparent motion on either side.  That's when your tank--which you thought was safe in the middle of that field--suddenly gets hit with molotov cocktails from their second-line team that's been slowly and incredibly dangerously advancing.  But molotovs just didn't do the trick, and your tank backs up five meters and unloads at close range with machine guns, wiping out half the squad in an instant before the rest of them spontaneously surrender.

It's realtime, but trust me...reflexes just aren't a factor.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:27:46 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2008, 06:50:07 pm »

Man, I remember having so much fun with Close Combat one at my friend's house.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9