Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Steep learning curves that are worth it  (Read 19347 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Steep learning curves that are worth it
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2008, 08:26:31 pm »

CC2 was my favorite of the series, though all of the 1st three were great.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2008, 12:16:20 am »

Also, its turn based mode isn't nearly as fun... because you can't move while firing in it.

The main reason it sucks is that brain suckers have enough move points to circle the entire map 5 times over each turn and interrupt fire just doesn't seem to do anything against them :P

Yet in real time mode they're pretty much harmless.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2008, 05:12:48 am »

Apocalypse was basically made for real-time and turn-based feels like an after-thought. I mean, ever looked at what the ranged enemies do during their turn in TB? They DODGE, they fidget around within a small area, because normally this would help evade shots in RT, but in TB it's senseless. And the game is a lot easier in RT, to the point where it feels like pest control rather than fighting aliens (in my last game, I never lost a unit in tactical). The only difficulty in RT is the viewpoint calculations, which are simply too slow.

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2008, 05:22:27 pm »

Tactical combat in Brigade E5 beats hands-on every other game, Jagged Alliance 2 included. Having played E5, I don't think I can ever come back to action point-based tactical combat games, unless for the loolz.
Sadly, the game was rather buggy and somewhat lacking in the plot/strategic map parts.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2008, 01:05:54 pm »

Sorry...what exactly are you referring to?  I just kinda stumbled upon this and I'm really bad at acronyms :(

Google tells me it's Real-Time-With-Pause.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:23 am »

Apocalypse was basically made for real-time and turn-based feels like an after-thought. I mean, ever looked at what the ranged enemies do during their turn in TB? They DODGE, they fidget around within a small area, because normally this would help evade shots in RT, but in TB it's senseless. And the game is a lot easier in RT, to the point where it feels like pest control rather than fighting aliens (in my last game, I never lost a unit in tactical). The only difficulty in RT is the viewpoint calculations, which are simply too slow.
Sounds more like you just didn't know how to play, or played on the easiest difficulty.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2008, 05:29:22 pm »

You would have to be good to lose no agents at all on the harder difficulties.  Especially when thsy start showing up with the advanced alien weaponry of doom.  Unless it was done by judiciously running away a lot.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2008, 09:40:27 pm »

Oh yeah, good freaking luck when the aliens show up with those agent-seeking armor-melting missiles.  I'm not joking--they home in and often one-hit kill.

Or when even the cultists get those damned hopping grenades that chase you around before blowing up.  Yeah.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2008, 11:23:59 am »

Those entropy guns are nasty.  However, your toxiguns and personal shields give you all kinds of advantage.  The worst part of the game for me was the UFO combat.  The hopping grenades were never too much problem for me, though.

Dammit, I still like Allegiance..

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2008, 03:19:45 pm »

I'm so terrible at X-COM, even on the easiest difficulty. It's hard as hell to get radar to do anything, too. I played through once abusing saved games, and still died. I played through again legitimately and it was a slaughter. I never researched more than two things... but it's an awesome game that I enjoyed even in failure.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2008, 05:11:09 pm »

I'm playing a mid difficulty x-com:apoc game currently. Turn-based and I sure am glad that my fighters to take cover whent hey have points available and are set on defensive. I said the guy who commented didn't know how to play because if he set his squaddies to aggressive, they wont take cover with their reflex turns, they will shoot the hell out of aliens. Pretty good when you're set to full auto with any weapon, alien takes two steps, get shot to hell.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]