Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Elven equipment  (Read 12851 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elven equipment
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2008, 12:45:27 pm »

The more bizarre the use of animals, the better. Nothing says hax than an Elf being carried into battle on a flock of blue-jays, dropping bags of firesnakes upon hapless dwarfs.

I kinda want to see that >.>

Where are engravers when you need them?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2008, 01:31:35 pm »

So reading from what I can see...

Elvs clad in humie/gobo/dorf bone armor underneath that humie/gobo/dorf leather armor, holding some sort of hard wood weapon that was dipped in poison, and flanked by legions animal men.

I say animal ascii men or woman for that matter, be represented by 'M'.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2008, 01:38:27 pm »

Elves can't use animal products to wrap themselves in... Can they?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2008, 01:40:43 pm »

I like to think of them as Native Americans. Use all parts of anything killed as not to waste.

Considering all the wars they are in, thats a lot of human/gobbo/dwarf materials.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2008, 01:57:24 pm »

but doesn't using their bones prevent them from returning to the earth and basically their god?

While the wood they have are gifts from the trees?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 02:09:01 pm »

Elves currently have [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE], allowing them to eat people who they killed in a war. This, along with the elves wanting to kill everyone that butchers meat, makes elves get into lots wars. If they become goblin slaves or we mod

[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:UNTHINKABLE]
to
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]

they start making rings and bracelets out of the bones of people they killed in a war while still only going to war over trees choping and animal killings. This leads to elven war heros decked out in so many bones that they have trouble walking. I think it would be interesting if elves wore human/goblin/dwarf leather over/under their human/goblin/dwarf bone or wood armour when fighting. Maybe shoot bone arrows too. Elf leaders could have chainmail made from the knucklebones of 1000 meat eating tree murderers.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2008, 02:40:52 pm »

Ahh I see so elves are alright with killing and eating something but they are against actually making something out of a dead creature... quite possibly out of respect.

I wonder if Elves believe Hermit crabs are evil

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2008, 03:19:52 pm »

Ahh I see so elves are alright with killing and eating something but they are against actually making something out of a dead creature... quite possibly out of respect.

I wonder if Elves believe Hermit crabs are evil
No, Hermit Crabs are making sure those shells don't go to waste by wearing them instead of leaving them to sit around with nothing to get eaten by.  Elves love hermit crabs.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2008, 01:46:49 am »

I like to think of them as Native Americans. Use all parts of anything killed as not to waste.

Considering all the wars they are in, thats a lot of human/gobbo/dwarf materials.

What I wonder is, since it's the elves themselves that do most of the dying, what do elves do with their own dead?  It's a sin to let anything go to waste right?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2008, 11:25:58 am »

What I wonder is, since it's the elves themselves that do most of the dying, what do elves do with their own dead?  It's a sin to let anything go to waste right?

Elves don't use products that are made from animals even if that would be a waste. So I don't think that is a factor here. Including that it is HIGHLY doubtful that Elves eat their enemies whole.

Besides the Native Americans had no problem mass killing animals as it was and not only crafted metal objects but had no stigma over buying, selling, or making animal products. Also their government is drastically different to that of the elves (Elves in Threetoe seemed to be some sort of odd Monarchy mixed with a Council that anyone and everyone could just barge in and get voting power with god veto power)

Oddly despite it being called "Elven Retreat" the elves don't seem to treat it as such. Meaning that they don't have "Summer" or "Winter" homes like many of the Native Americans did as well.

I think the comparison of Elves to Native Americans is a bit premature... They are almost nothing alike.

Of course I probably just don't see that the comparison is just being done for fun and your reinvisioning the elves in that respect.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2008, 10:38:56 pm »

Turtle shell breastplates. 

Ah, yes. They're very good in general but for some unexplained reason highly vulnerable to being jumped on.

Dammit.  I didn't need another total conversion mod to plan out.

AARGH It's writing itself in my head already!

Psst.  I have a fireball-lobbing COMMON_DOMESTIC Plumber creature, complete with graphics (incl. fireflower'd version for War Plumbers).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]