Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Waspurn - Community Fortress (Adopt a dwarf today!)  (Read 11595 times)

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
Re: Waspurn - Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 12:54:40 am »

Ironically, from my experience, we will need all the military help we can get. I can produce some swords in the first year or two. Also it's savage lands, so we will likely see some mean things in the coming months, not to mention that we have 80% of the worlds megabeasts still alive. =)
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 01:03:35 am »

I'll take an immigrant in a future immigration wave when your fortress can support a sheriff. If at all possible make me the sheriff or Captain of the Guard, call me Apple. I will put the beat down on any mandate breakers or tantrum throwers that decide Waspurn is a good place to break the law (even if it is the mandate of crystal glass).

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 01:03:58 am »

Mega beastys are wussys. Ironicly, wolves are not. -_-

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 01:07:10 am »

You obviously haven't faced a bronze colossus...

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 01:19:15 am »

You obviously haven't played Dwarf Fortress long enough to realise that 20 Champions decked in at least decent armour are the normal in most Forts. Or let me put it this way. You COULD have gotten around 20 Mega Beasty killing champions by the time the Mega Beasts start to even arrive. In fact, late in game, I've had more problems with packs of wolves surpriseing dwarves not armed with melee weapons, who then get surrounded and ripped apart. Heck, sometimes those Axe wielding champions get weighed down by several critters clinging to their arms and legs while they try and slash away at 'em.

Lucky for me, my latest fort made extinct all the animals outside it. I'm working on an arena. : D

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 02:20:53 am »

Well congrats to Neo on getting the Expedition Leader position via random lotto.

Here's the first entry, more to follow soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Journal of Kate Takegalley:
1st of Granite, Year 9, Outpost Tathtakvucar, "Waspurn";

We found the area in which we were sent to was not the nice savanna we were promised, but a rocky wasteland of an area. Not exactly the ideal location.

We must trust that the mountain homes have a brilliant plan. We must, because the only alternative is that our government is completely inept... I won't dwell on that too long.

In personal news during the journey Gaweir and I began to see each other. Everyone else is quickly becoming friends. I hope to get to know them all more over the coming months.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 02:36:21 am »

because the only alternative is that our government is completely inept... I won't dwell on that too long.

If the nobles who make insane demands and are forced to die are the ones governing then I think the government is inept

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 04:47:03 am »

---------------------------------------------
17th of Malachite, Year 9, Outpost Waspurn;

Dug in and prepared for the first year we have set up a functioning outpost. I managed to cook up enough food to trade with the caravans we expect to start coming in the next two months. Neo assures us that he put in an order for an anvil. Worst case scenario, our metalworks will not start until late next year. For now we are doing some exploratory digging, we hope to hit some ore soon.

----------------------------------------------
21st of Malachite, Year 9, Outpost Waspurn;

Well this expedition is off to a wonderful start. A giant freaking scorpion walked right into our camp while we slept. Gaweir grabbed his sword and Vasili grabbed his crossbow and charged the beast.

Gaweir was the first into the fray as he swung it dodged out of the way only to be struck in one of it's legs. Gaweir payed for the strike with a severe wound to his right arm. His sword arm crippled he moved away as Vasili took aim. With a now clear shot Vasili fired on the creature. She beamed as he saw the bolt strike into its body and with a powerful spray of ichor, she knew he had hit his mark. It had pierced the scorpion's heart, now it was only a matter of time.

We were lucky today, but we must get better defenses up lest we be similarly surprised by a more fearsome foe. In this light Neo has ordered us all to think of ways we might best defend this outpost.

Gaweir was rushed to his bed by our fastest dwarf, Don. It is suspected that it will take quite a while for him to recover, that is, if he ever will. Either way both Gaweir and Vasili have each been given the title 'Hero of Waspurn'.

WorkerDrone: If you want another dwarf on immigration I won't argue seeing as how you are likely to be out of action for the next few decades.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:36:39 pm by Kate Wissen »

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 04:47:48 pm »

12th of Sandstone, Year 9, Outpost Waspurn;

Another terrible misfortune! We did indeed have an anvil delivered to our humble outpost. Unfortunately it was a steel anvil. We had planned on getting more from the trade but sadly all we could manage was the anvil, some cow's milk, a few barrels and a donkey.

A few kobolds tried to sneak away with some swag, the merchant guards saw an end to that rather quickly.

13th of Timber, Year 9, Outpost Waspurn;

Some migrants have arrived at our humble outpost. Ten of them to be precise. We have enough wood for beds this time, but unless we get a caravan with wood to trade soon we may need to set up some public beds. In other news, Inaluct was apparently impressed by Vasili's heroic efforts, as a romance has sparked between them.
--------------------------------------------

We aren't at Hamlet status yet, so no sheriff until the next migration. So Kornash has been added as a swordsman from the incoming peasants. Giving us a remaining 5 males and 4 females. I'll post profiles if anyone wants specific traits or such. But for now 9 migrants are up for grabs.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 05:26:51 pm »

...Give me another Swordsdwarf.

Name: Arminger

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 06:26:25 pm »

Oops, miscount on the migrants. we received 5 males and 4 females, but that's it. With this new tally and the current taken migrants, we now have:

3 Males
4 Females

Up for the taking. Get your dwarf today! Also we will start creating a small elite military force now. Emphasis on the small and elite part. So If you want military dwarves snatch them now, because these migrants are basically just taking up space. Darn fortress is running too efficiently.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 06:31:23 pm »

Oh-ho, I see my dwarf is already living up to her namesake.

Wait... He? I thought you gave me a female dwarf?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 06:35:58 pm »

I did. That was a typo. >.> It's fixed.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 08:36:31 pm »

25th of Slate, Year 10, Outpost Waspurn;

Well we have survived the first year. The elves have taken notice and decided to trade with us. With any luck they will continue to sell us wood, as we will need all the timber we can get.

We've struck ore, and have begun construction of a grand dining room. Hopefully this will drive away these feelings of general unrest that have rippled through the outpost.

Orders were handed out to begin training a military, but so far few volunteers. I don't blame them, after what happened to poor Gaweir. He still has not woken up, but surprisingly his crippled arm is mending. Perhaps he will once again wield a sword. If nothing else there is hope for him to recover within a few years.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 08:49:54 pm »

Is Vasili currently doing any farming? If not, or if there's somedwarf who can adequately replace her, then go ahead and draft her, too.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16