Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dawn of War  (Read 6626 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of War
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

Yeah, I get them mixed up a lot.

Anyway, you should've been able to play the Necron.  Tau look boring.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

Yeah, well, that's how demos are.  The Tau actually aren't that bad, you just need to find ways of making the most of their rather significant firepower.  If you're looking for a fun time, go for a Kroot-only army.  Getting a couple Kroot packs out there with some hounds backing them up and supplemented by some Krootox riders, you can end up with a rather enjoyably wild battle.  Make sure to eat everything after the battle, of course.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

Technically, you can play the entire Tau game with just Kroot and not feel an ounce of difference. It fact, it's probably easier.

That's what happens when the race adopts cowardly strategies like trench warfare and artillery as their mainstays. Dull.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

The Kroot can really only take you so far...  They're wonderful early on, but the basic warriors just don't have the health or the armor to withstand any decent amount of heavy infantry, let alone vehicles.  The Krootox, for all its glorious stomping, can only handle relatively small amounts of units at a time.

Use the Kroot to give you a nice foothold early on, but switch over to the Tau weaponry later on.  Fully-upgraded Firewarrior squads can do an insane amount of damage from very far off.  They can pick off armies that are trying to get close enough to them to bring their own guns to bear.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »

Heh, yeah. I guess that applies. I'm a very rush heavy fighter so late game strategies and potential never really occurs to my line of thought unless it's been mentioned by someone. I have a friend who loves Tau to death who repeatedly told me that had he been allowed to live longer, he would have crushed me with his fully-upgraded firewarriors who could shoot across the screen.

*cough cough*

Actually it goes more like this: "Even if you could have killed my kroot warriors, my fully-upgraded firewarriors would have turned you to dust."  :(

Aaaaanyway, Tau sucks. Pussy race of weaklings and infidels! Glory for His immortal throne!!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

And then the Necrons that no one was paying attention to show up with their economy in full swing.  Everybody dies in an awesome fashion.

Yeah, I never liked rush tactics.  I want something where I can bring out the big guns and have an appreciable number of targets to shoot them at.  Rushing has always seemed to me like a tactic for winning while bypassing the fun part.

Does anyone else play cat-and-mouse with the AI?  Where you establish dominance early on, but then let the AI player build up a little strength to throw at you?  I can make a fight against medium AI players last for hours...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

quote:
Scottish/British

I know I'm rather late, but there's so many things wrong with that description it bears pointing at.

On topic, I've been an on-off Dark Eldar player for years.  I've never played DoW, but I was somewhat gratified to see they actually took the time to include them in an expansion.  It's the most attention they've had within the extended fandom for years.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

Kagus: When I play the AI on skirmish, I tend to set it to that setting where you get a craptonne of resources at the beginning, then run screaming into the endless hordes of orks, marines, and eldar that get sent at my puny self.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

You really need the Ork Swarm mod.  Several hundred troops all involved in one battle is something of incredible beauty.

And McDoomhammer, I'm sorry to say that the Soulstorm version of the Dark Eldar can't really be called "Dark Eldar".  They're more just...  Dim.

But if you can throttle someone long enough to attain dominance, a Dais of Destruction flanked by a couple other hover vehicles is quite an impressive sight.  It's unfortunate that they don't have any real heavy hitters...  Hell, even the 'non-dark' Eldar get Fire Prisms.

As an aside, if you were to worship one of the four main chaos gods, who would it be?  What would be the runner-up.

Me, I'd pick Slaanesh first.  Decadence has always appealed to me.  But moving down the list, it would be Tzeentch, Nurgle, and then Khorne.  

Having Nurgle over Khorne may seem a bit strange, but Nurgle actually cares about his followers.  Khorne couldn't care less, and he also outfits people with those nasty suits of armor that never come off.  I imagine that would chafe after a while...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

The Lord of Change. Since the rubric of Ahriman determined that if you were a World Eater, you either were a mindless suit of armour or a powerful mage immune to His "gifts".

And besides, intelligence and knowledge is a much better strength than anything else.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »

Malal.

A pot of fine +Dwarven Mulberry Jam+ for those who know who I'm talking about.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

I said the four main chaos gods.  The other denizens of the warp can stuff it for the time being.

I mean heck, if they were allowed, I'd just pick Necoho and have done with it.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

No heavy hitters?  That's crazy.  DE are all about heavy hitters, with the dark lances and the incubi.  They can dish it out like bastids, they just can't take it for crap.

I'd take my chances with the Laughing God.

Any volunteers for Nurgle?

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 09:21:00 pm »

Well, at least in Dawn of War, every other race has vehicles or units that can deal big blammo-style attacks.  The Eldar fire prism can cause some havoc, as can the Leman Russ tank and its orkish tricked-out equivalent, not to mention the Necron monolith.  The Dark Elves certainly have a good amount of damage, but they don't have anything that can really stop an enemy in its tracks.

The Dais of Destruction has a "F***-all" attack that can wipe out an entire army in one go, but even that doesn't have a whole lot of impressiveness.  They don't have any artillery, but I suppose that their high mobility can help out in that regard.  It's just that they don't have any real "disruptive" attacks, unless you count their melee units (which, quite frankly, can disrupt themselves just as easily.  Warp beasts will start attacking each other if morale breaks).

Relic probably would've done a better job than Iron Lore, but so be it.  I shall content myself with my Baneblades and monoliths, thank you very much.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

I don't think a person who would worship Nurgle would tell us he is worshipping Nurgle. For one, it takes too much effort. For two, he's probably dying of 200 deadly diseases somewhere (and relishing it).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4