Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: 3.17.0 Release - Minimap Expansion, Resisting Arrest, and Revised Char Creation  (Read 12975 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/

I elected not to clear old saves, however, I do reccomend backing up your save file, because the elimination of survival skills from the game may will have unfortunate consequences. (When I first wrote this warning, and decided to make old saves loadable, I half-forgot that a list of all skills are stored in saves. By changing the number of skills in the game, it will maul the save file. So if it does load for you, you'll be able to see very clearly why the game usually just deletes your old saves for situations like these. ;))

Windows Download:
http://www.jonathansfox.com/lcs/lcs_win32_3.17.0.zip

Major Features:
* You can now see two steps away in the sitemode minimap
* Heavily revised character creation
* Added footchases when you're to be arrested during activations, so that your people can defend themselves or flee
* You can now disband and come back -- this is still largely an incomplete feature, but you can still do it

Other changes:
* Fixed crash bug related to people selling art
* Removed survival skill
* Increased the effect of Intelligence on you ability to shut down the nuclear reactor by 50%
* Fixed most of the text writing over the map display bugs, where it persists between messages even as the blank area is erased; due to some awkwardness with lockpicking, whenever you try to pick locks it won't overwrite the map for a bit, but otherwise most of this should be gone
* Banging, smashing, or using a crowbar against doors will now tend to quickly create suspicion
* Disbanding will now require a keypress to advance between months
* Simplified disbanding screen, elections will no longer be shown when disbanding
* Made recruiting a touch easier, emphasized charisma more
* Made interrogation chats a bit harder when the victim is tied up
* Made high infiltration sleepers more slow to lose infiltration when spreading liberalism than low infiltration sleepers
* Made it so that sleepers and others not based at the homeless shelter don't get reported to be "slinking back to the homeless shelter"
* Made it so that people don't return home if their base is under siege
* Failed repair rolls will no longer permanently degrade clothing, instead just failing to repair the clothing today
* Made tanks much more resistant to non-fire damage
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:23:00 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Khlor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It looks like the new expanded minimap doesn't affect known areas no the site map (<m> key). You still need to move adjanced to a wall to see it on the site map.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was... slightly intentional. There are some subtle issues that would come up if I were to expand the range that you can memorize. It's not ideal, but it's not a huge drawback either. I may revise it in the future if I get inspired to.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just got a crash in a car chase - one police car chasing me, and my recently-recruited Professional Thief gets hit in the head by a shotgun. The car spun out crushing the (only, and already dead) occupant of the car into a cube, I pressed C to reflect on my Conservative ineptitude, and got a couple of errors (sorry, don't remember what they were) - I ignored both, but then crimesquad.exe stopped working. Running the day again didn't recreate the problem as this time my thief escaped without being chased by the police.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it doesn't appear to be caused by any case where you have a solo member killed in a car chase -- I tried with my founder, and nothing went wrong (besides losing the game). I'm not sure what to test next to find it. Let me know if it happens again.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How hard would it be to add back in an option to permanently disband in the old manner in a blatant display of Liberal Arrogance? (So as to avoid having to hold down "w" until the country flips.)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not too hard if I just prompt you when you disband to determine which you want.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If any of your people have flamethrower skills, that may break the game, or may just effectively lose that skill outright.

Oh, my, yes. That was an impressive break; my founder found herself missing a leg, all her juice, most of her base stats, and near death; all her actives evaporated; and all her sleepers were renamed and extremely dead. It hurts to lose that game, which was a nicely-progressed true-pacifist run (where I'd stumbled onto a random teenager with Leadership 3, no less)... but it'll be worth it to get rid of that wretched, awful Art bug... :P

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As a further consolation prize, sleeper-based runs should be easier in this version due to the change in how infiltration is decremented when you're spreading liberalism. The more you build up their infiltration, the less it hurts them to spread liberalism now.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow. This version looks to have made it incredibly hard to learn Street Sense. I've been out tagging and instead of gradually developing it, have only gotten 0.2 skill each of the two times I was busted. That'll change things more than a little...

(On the other hand, it's making developing Law skill incredibly easy, as my balanced Int-Cha founder keeps getting busted for single counts of vandalism, which is pretty much free Law practice...)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:35:38 pm by E. Albright »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is because you now have to run away yourself when spotted spraying graffiti. Of course, it's much more dangerous to run now, because now you'll get shot at, but that's an area that should be changed. Police shouldn't be trying to gun you down for graffiti.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is because you now have to run away yourself when spotted spraying graffiti. Of course, it's much more dangerous to run now, because now you'll get shot at, but that's an area that should be changed. Police shouldn't be trying to gun you down for graffiti.

How about for Resisting arrest? Suspected Terrorist? or Treason?

Not to mention that the cop could just say your armed and plant a weapon on you.

Wow, maybe the game should have a corruption rating...

Anyhow perhaps if the Conservatives win enough they could make Graffiti punishable by death.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's been said before, but this game needs tasers, with how "liberally" they're resorted to based on police regulation (by the time you get to C they'd be instantly and automatically used against someone like a fleeing tagger (at C+ they just pull their sidearm, naturally)).

Oh, and if you try to make graffiti without spraypaint equipped, you get the vector crash. The option is greyed out if you don't have one, but you can still manually select it, select it as your default Liberal activism, or pick it then unequip the paint.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends on police regulation. Police gang units should be much more trigger happy (LA Rampart); not quite as much as now, but somebody giving them trouble, or suspected terrorists? No question. They'd plant guns on the body if they have to in order to explain their actions. Death squads should utterly disregard any of what would be regulations against them. Resisting arrest in itself shouldn't get normal police to shoot at you, since that includes fleeing. If resisting arrest involved attacking police with a weapon, that's different. If you're even just carrying a visible gun, or a sword or other serious weapon, that would get shots fired as well.

I thought I'd fixed the graffiti crash, but apparently not. It should be easy to fix. Again. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tasers shouldn't work like magic though... Just like in real life the Police should, due to improper training caused by its perception as perfect, use it very liberally and often cause pernament damage or even death.

Though the same has been done with Nightsticks (but they do differ in that nightsticks have a recognised risk and leave easily traced injuries. Your not going to wake up the next day and suffer heart failure because a police officer beat you with a night stick)

Then again I think in this game Tasers ARE Nightsticks... they just switch names when you get to a certain time period (which is odd because I don't think Tasers phased out nightsticks)

Today Tasers are starting to become a hot issue and thus many places that want or have tasers are starting to change their policy on Tasers... For example the Police now have to report use of the taser and the number of times they used it... As well as informing the person (and possibly the hospital) of that information.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10