Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Bronze Fixing  (Read 11055 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Fixing
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2008, 11:56:50 pm »

I'm talking about stone blocks here, not rocks. I think a brick on a stick swung at a goblins... head... wouldn't be as likely to shatter as the goblins head. Still, it would be nice. Somewhat powerful, easy to make, and disposable weapons.

Malleable is the exact opposite of brittle...  You're right about the skull, and probably armour... But the first time you miss....

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2008, 11:57:58 pm »

I know. As I said, disposable. ;D

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2008, 01:16:58 am »

I am highly in favor of improving bronze. As it stands now, it's just not convenient or useful enough to really warrant large scale production.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2008, 02:54:39 am »

I'm talking about stone blocks here, not rocks. I think a brick on a stick swung at a goblins... head... wouldn't be as likely to shatter as the goblins head. Still, it would be nice. Somewhat powerful, easy to make, and disposable weapons.

Stone maces weren't necessarily crappy weapons.  http://otlichnik.tripod.com/medmace.html

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2008, 05:26:41 am »

The problem with stone ANYTHING in the game is there's no mechanism for weapons and tools breaking in use. Obviously someone must have made stone axes, picks, and anvils at some point, out of stones lying around rather than optained through digging. Otherwise, where did the original anvil come from in the first place? But if you allow people to make these in-game it would make things too easy because they won't break.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2008, 05:35:47 am »

^^^ Yeah.  That's a very good argument for bringing more sophisticated properties into play.  Stone weapons should have a chance of shattering proportional to their own brittleness, the hardness of whatever they're hitting, and the strength of the swing, and the chance should increase very slightly with each blow.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2008, 05:50:35 am »

Otherwise, where did the original anvil come from in the first place?

A fey mason.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]