Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Goblin Family  (Read 13633 times)

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Goblin Family
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:54:47 am »

So, I've read lots of posts here on BAY12 about goblins dying out too soon, or about not getting enough sieges from humans/gobbos, or about the general lack of bloodshed. I decided that I didn't want that to happen to me, and whipped up a mod: The Goblin Family.  I'm still testing it out, but decided to post it early to help out some fellow dwarves in need.  (So far it's proven a lot of fun-- fun in the Dwarf Fort sense of the word.)

Below is the extended family of your typical, mountain-dwelling goblin.  First there are several extra entities using the standard creature raw.  These are separate goblin kingdoms/societies/cultures located in different biomes.  I didn't want to change the creature raws b/c I figure people will mod them to their own taste anyway.  So the first category is no tougher or smarter than usual, but each new entity means another source of carnage.  MORE GOBS = MORE SIEGES.

After these brother-goblins, come the cousins.  These are creature/entity combos to represent the really divergent branches of goblindom.  They're tougher, but maybe not crazy tougher.  They also have different triggers so, they should come in waves with the more challenging types attacking later on.

At first I was going to do a whole GOBWORLD MOD, but then I decided that a modular pieces would be more useful to other people.  So, you can use one, two, or all of these guys if you're really blood-thirsty and siege-hungry.  (Although it might be difficult to get a map that can house all of them.) And since they won't reference any new plants, weapons, or materials, you won't have to mess with anything but the creature_standard.txt and entity_default.txt files.  (And hopefully that means no weird bugs either)  I also tried to keep it fairly close to DF's Tolkienesque fantasy roots, rather than throw in robots or sentient armadillos or anything with crazy-made-up names. 

THE GOBLIN FAMILY

Mountain Goblins:  You know 'em, you love 'em.  I tweak mine so they have fewer socks, but I left them untouched here to serve as baseline.  Delicious Vanilla Evil.

BRETHREN:

Swamp Goblins: Extremely sadistic and depraved.  A society based around slavery, pain, and degradation.  Torturers and executioners.  Lightly clothed/armored, but equipped with steel to make up the difference. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Desert Goblins: A very loose-knit society of thieves, liars, and gamblers.  They have abandoned their &-overlords and live without laws or leaders.  Only a handful of strongholds depending on your map.

Sea Goblins: Goblins with fishing poles instead of picks.  Surface-dwellers.  Still evil, but their greed and gluttony makes them willing to trade.  Led by a Goblin King.

Hill Goblins: A bizarre cult obsessed with disease and deformity.  Their strongholds are few, but each one is densely populated. 

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Goblin Family
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:57:31 am »

COUSINS:

Bugbears: Nasty, brutish, and huge.  Larger and tougher than typical Gobbos, but poorly equipped (so you don't drown in iron).  They have become mortal and very short-lived, but breed in great numbers.  Bugbears only live in desolate landscapes: mountains, tundra/glaciers, and desert/wastes.  They attack immediately and, hopefully, it should be difficult to genocide them completely.  If you just want one more enemy for your next world, these are the best guys to add.

Red Caps:  Traditional goblin tricksters.  They will steal your artifacts, pull your levers, and also set your digs on fire just for fun. Okay, they don't all have Red Caps b/c I can't do that.  These guys are basically the replacement Kobolds, but tougher and faster.

Woodwose: Goblin Hippies.  Like da elfs, they live in treehouses in the woods. (You might have to be careful these guys don't wipe out the elves at world-gen).  They are part animal part vegetable, so if you stab one, he'll do a ninja replacement jutsu and drop a wooden log.  It's like logging, but the trees come to you, which is handy if you're perma-sieged. 

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:11:02 am by The Grackle »

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:59:24 am »

Goblin Moorlocks: Mute, blind, inbred, cave-dwelling, albinos. What's not to love?  Probably the spider venom. (Still hazy on how blindness affects them, if at all.  No archers, obviously.)

HellHags: Greenskin ladies who live in the water.  These are your Jenny Greenteeths and Peg Powlers.  Babystealers thematically.  No magic to give them yet, unfortunately.  (It's really hard to get them to spawn on lakes/rivers, so they show up on oceans too.  If you can gen a world with lots of lakes, you can remove the ocean biome and see what happens.) Very strong and immortal, but they don't reproduce (except through foster kids). 

Hobgoblins: Top of the line greenskins.  They are smarter, faster, stronger, and have better hygiene, but are also humorless pricks. Militant, organized, and expansionist. They will attack a more mature fortress with their STEEL. Led by their own champions instead of &s.  Slightly longer childhood and fewer starting sites to keep them from completely dominating all they survey.

The Goodfellows: Treacherous goblins that have defected to the sunshine team.  They love rainbows and ride unicorns.  Live in happy villages instead of dark forts.  Since they still speak goblin, you'll get names like "Skrizblojok Xumporg, the Festival of Happy Spices," which I find pretty funny.  (I could have left normal goblins, but then it would prevent the option of removing the gobs ability to speak while leaving the Goodfellows peaceful)

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 08:08:35 am »

NOTES & STUFF:

Here's the Worldgen recipe I've been tinkering with trying to get all these guys on one medium map:

So, that's what I got so far.  I'm still experimenting and there are bound to be some crap ups in there.  A lot of the entity stuff probably won't even come into play in DF mode (ethics, art stuff, et al.), but I wanted to test the limits of what I could I mod.  Gotta say, it's pretty damn cool, and I can't wait for the next release...

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:16:35 am »

Wow, you are too damn workaholic, or just THAT addicted?

Let me see, over 9000?  ;D

At any rate, when I'm healthy again, I'll try this mod. I'll become the mountain gobbs of course  ::)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 10:55:29 am »

If you don't want a civ to send archers, remove the [WEAPON:BOW] tag from the entity file.  You can also remove the [PERMITTED_JOB:(job name)] tags to control what professions they have.

Good looking mod  :)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 02:23:19 pm »

Holy roflcopter, that looks intense. With the bugbears and hobgobs though... hmmm...

Got an idea! Mod in Cadderly, Danica, Ivan and Pikel (R.A. Salvatore, Cleric Quintet) through any means possible. And then destroy everything.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 04:47:05 pm »

...They'll be joining my armies of Orcs.  If I can figure out the pet tags, I might make one great "Evil Empire" led by Orcs with all these other guys under their command, creating huge diverse armies of doom.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 01:09:23 am »

If you don't want a civ to send archers, remove the [WEAPON:BOW] tag from the entity file.  You can also remove the [PERMITTED_JOB:(job name)] tags to control what professions they have.

Good looking mod  :)
I know you can remove the weapon from an entity, but I'm not sure if it generates units on your map with the weapon-skill, but with no weapon in hand.  I haven't seen any, so maybe it works to just remove the item tags. 

I've also run into the first glitch, which is that Woodwose show up with all kind of crazy equipment.  Adamantite shields, bismuth bronze gauntlets, silver hammers, and so on.  Everybody else has used, iron, copper, or steel.   I don't know if it's a bug or the unexpected result of some tag.  I'll have to experiment further...

JBWilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 03:01:10 am »

Wow.  That sounds like a good way to make a tough game.  Good work.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 06:48:48 am »

A suggestion about "red hats".
Why don't you give them "red cap" items?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 07:11:17 am »

bugbears will go extinct during worldgen. In my experience, civing species that don't live to at least 30-60 won't even reach the second generation. The first few couples just don't breed before they die of old age.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 12:02:02 pm »

I love the hell hags, next world I gen I'm putting those in.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 11:28:15 pm »

RE HellHags in Ocean biomes

Civs starting on Ocean biomes do not seem to spread at all.  Land-based civs that are allowed to settle on Oceans likewise never seem to build coastal cities.

RE Mo' goblins in general

Make sure to add that "invaders ignore neutrals" tag that elves have to all goblin civs.  I'm pretty sure all ambushing and sieging goblins clans will wipe each other out on-site if it's not there, which makes the game less difficult than vanilla DF because you'll only have to deal with the victor, whose forces will be largely depleted.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 11:31:08 pm »

Personally, I prefer it in there - difficulty or no, I like the idea of civil wars erupting right on your front lines.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL
Pages: [1] 2 3