Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Goblin Family  (Read 13493 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The Goblin Family
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 02:18:14 am »

bugbears will go extinct during worldgen. In my experience, civing species that don't live to at least 30-60 won't even reach the second generation. The first few couples just don't breed before they die of old age.

Yeah, I suffered the same problem with a Hellspawn creature that I modded into my game, those angels that live for hundreds of years each are having like 12 children though, you think that they would be more righteous than that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 06:49:38 am »

A suggestion about "red hats".
Why don't you give them "red cap" items?
I didn't want to mess around with the other raws.  also I wasn't sure how to have one color of dye always applied to one type of item.  It might be possible though.

Make sure to add that "invaders ignore neutrals" tag that elves have to all goblin civs.  I'm pretty sure all ambushing and sieging goblins clans will wipe each other out on-site if it's not there, which makes the game less difficult than vanilla DF because you'll only have to deal with the victor, whose forces will be largely depleted.

Yeah, I added that to a few entities, but left it off bugbears so there'd still be a few "Get off my lawn!" kinda moments.  I'm still only getting one entity/attack a season though and haven't had any overlaps yet. 

bugbears will go extinct during worldgen. In my experience, civing species that don't live to at least 30-60 won't even reach the second generation. The first few couples just don't breed before they die of old age.

Yeah, weird stuff can happen because of the world population cap.  I haven't had any trouble w/bugbears dying out, but after looking through the Legends of various worlds, some of the other species seemed borderline sterile/infertile. Since there are only as many babies born as creatures died the year before, if one race has all the kids it can lead to their dominating the map.  I don't know how the game prioritizes which creatures get to reproduce, but it doesn't seem to be round robin.  It would be nice if there was a tag for reproductive frequency as well as litter size and natural lifespan.  (Humans mate whenever, animals once a year, and dragons only once a century, etc.)

In other news, whatever causes woodwose to use equipment made of random metal, sent me group of archers with copper bows firing adamantite arrows.  It wasn't a good day for my bone-bolt firing marksmen.  It's sorta cool to have a source of adamantite even w/o HFS, but I'm hesitant to melt any of it down for fear of prematurely triggering the arrival of the king. 

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 06:52:48 am »

Spontaneously obtaining adamantine is not the same as breaking into a vein of it.  It won't trigger His Royal Pain-in-the-Butt's attention.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 09:55:54 am »

Even veins don't trigger it for me.  I unwittingly disabled all nobility beyond the Baron by changing my civ and site leaders to PHILOSOPHER and EXECUTIONER respectively.  Seriously, I have a 220+ dwarf site with all the trimmings yet my Baron still refuses to upgrade to Count.  I did get a philosopher, at least.  He's not the civ leader though.  I was hoping to have two.  :(

On topic:  Yeah, you have to hit a vein and get the "ve haf ztruck adamantine, mein Fuhrer!" message to trigger the peasant-king.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 01:05:50 am »

May try this mod at some point. With the woodwose even if you figure out the metal thing I say leave them like that, it makes a good challenge while potentially allowing for a source of HFS metal on a HFS-less map. And you can alter the litter size, its like [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] in the creature file, not the entity file.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 12:01:23 am »

Looks fantastic. Think Ill have a better look!
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 12:40:54 pm »

*claps* very very nice 1up for you ^_^
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 01:06:42 pm »

I've also run into the first glitch, which is that Woodwose show up with all kind of crazy equipment.  Adamantite shields, bismuth bronze gauntlets, silver hammers, and so on.  Everybody else has used, iron, copper, or steel.   I don't know if it's a bug or the unexpected result of some tag.  I'll have to experiment further...

I ran into that same problem in the mod I'm experimenting with. What I found was that you need to give the entity [OUTDOOR_FARMING] in order for them to use wooden weapons.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 06:00:31 pm »

This mod is fantastic. Thanks!

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 08:34:52 pm »

I have a quick question: Do I need to worry about matching the formatting to the default DF formatting? Not all of the entries line up perfectly, some are tabbed, some are spaced, and it doesn't match any of the default entries. I was going to go through and edit them all in my files to match the defaults, but after doing just one of them, I feel like doing it for all will make me not want to play anymore.

So: can I just do the copy pasta dance and not worry about formatting?

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

Decided to just ignore the formatting apart from fixing the 'header' tags.

Rolled my first world, decided to try and make it hard, and started on a glacier. All is going well, food production up and running, I discover how aggravating it is to have champions.

First attack? Elves. The six traps I allowed myself + two obsidian swords (and not much else) dispatched them. I wait, and prepare for the next one, having my champs spar and producing several war dogs, who I tie up outside the entrance as an early warning system.

Some time passes...

And I see a purple message at the bottom of the screen! My heart jumps. "Another raid already?!" I'm thinking. Twas not to be. The goblins are here to trade. TO TRADE.

I walled them.

Goblins kept coming to trade, but never sent any raiding parties, and I never saw the elves again. Pop was rocketing, I had about 20 legendary wrestlers, and decide that a regen was in order, with the gobs in a perma war state.

I think I'll start with a glacier again.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 03:59:47 am »

What was the "civilizations" picture on embark? Always look there!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 04:40:01 am »

What was the "civilizations" picture on embark? Always look there!

I don't remember what it looked like (If I even checked  :-[ )

My next one, however, all the goblin races are '------', so hopefully this is more fun.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 10:23:49 am »

I just make new races to make the game more fun. Like my Nazallka mod, which is still in the works they are so awesome that they tend to destroy every civilation execpt themselves in 85% of worlds that they are included in.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

NooklearToaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 06:14:25 am »

"Ve haf ztruck adamantine, mein Fuhrer!"

I have no idea why, but this made me laugh so hard coffee shot out my nose. Sig'd.
Pages: 1 [2] 3