Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Absolutely Positively FORCING an attack  (Read 955 times)

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Absolutely Positively FORCING an attack
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:13:06 pm »

Hey guys. I recently got addicted to this awesome game, and while I've diversified my experience by playing Dwarves, Humans, Gobbos, and even wood-loving Kobolds, I have a single problem in every instance.

No one ever attacks.

I've tried removing BABYSNATCHER, I've tried setting the Triggers to 1 instead of 2, I've tried almost everything. Aside from a kobold trying to take something, no one has ever attacked me.

My longest game was around 6 years. I drowned the first dwarven convoy to come, along with an elven one. I had the next FIVE Elven caravans fall 4 Z levels to their deaths. No contact with goblins whatsoever, and no slightest hints of aggression.

Is there any way at all (that has been proven) to FORCE an attack? Such as modifying RAWs to force an attack (from anyone/everyone) in one year?

I turned all the races to EVIL (except mine) in hopes that they would attack more often, but not even a harsh word was spoken to me during the entire game.

Could I increase breeding? Would that have any affect on MY game, rather than just affecting how quickly they spread during worldgen? Should I just leave everything unmodded and keep regenerating worlds over and over until I get an attack?

You'd figure that if four or five caravans die at my fortress, someone is going to get pissed off. That doesnt happen.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Absolutely Positively FORCING an attack
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:55:01 pm »

Change everyone's but the dwarves' [INTELLIGENT] tags to [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN], thereby meaning they can't actually stop world gen wars. A civ at war with you will be more hostile, I'm sure.

Or, even better, change the dwarves' [INTELLIGENT] tag only, meaning only they wouldn't be able to stop fighting. Of course, they might get slaughtered in world gen, so you have to think about that too. Maybe change their size, then set it back again along with giving them [INTELLIGENT] back when you finish generation?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:41:55 pm »

Look around for Rysith's orcs. They are murderiffic.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 12:03:25 am »

The Wiki will tell you all the things that the INELLIGENT tag has, and remove that tag and add in everything BUT can_speak...
there will be no negotiations, so everyone will be ticked, and then they will fight untill one race is wiped out :)
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 02:11:46 am »

Its really ironic. After I whined about not being attacked to you folks, I started a new unmodded game. All I tweaked was the Trigger_production (and so forth) values for gobbos, so they potentially arrive more quickly.

THIS time, after my first wave of immigrants, a goblin babysnatcher appeared!!!11oneeleven!

He ran into a cage trap, so I sent him to the Arena Of No Hope. Serrated discs adorning random locations, and one lone Peasant recruit (with nothing but his clothes and fists) brought about the end of the poor bugger, although it was less the traps and more the recruit knocking him the fark out then turning what was left into hamburger.

After that, about a season later, an entire Goblin ambush showed up, followed by another (or a siege, I dont recall. About five gobbos, then another five about 200 turns after the first)

I guess babysnatching is just what the Goblins needed for an excuse to go off on my fortress. The great thing is, they slaughtered the elves that were trading with me. I got tons of cloth and so forth because of that.

Change everyone's but the dwarves' [INTELLIGENT] tags to [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN], thereby meaning they can't actually stop world gen wars. A civ at war with you will be more hostile, I'm sure.

If I generated a world after doing this and embarked in year 5 or so, would that mean that EVERYONE would be at war with me? That early in generation, you'd figure no one would have a chance to get wiped out. Maybe I should also turn everyone's breeding speed up by giving them a 2-5 littersize? Would that ensure no one gets totally wiped out, but everyone is still at war?

Or, even better, change the dwarves' [INTELLIGENT] tag only, meaning only they wouldn't be able to stop fighting. Of course, they might get slaughtered in world gen, so you have to think about that too. Maybe change their size, then set it back again along with giving them [INTELLIGENT] back when you finish generation?

Would I still be able to trade with other dwarves? If I couldnt speak, that might put a damper in things. If I removed EVERYONE's CAN_SPEAK, (including mine), would we all be forever embroiled in a world war that would include my fortress?

Look around for Rysith's orcs. They are murderiffic.

You've forced me to put my dwarves through an orcish onslaught. Thanks :)

I've tried removing INTELLIGENT and adding CAN_CIV and CAN_LEARN before, and all I really got was a lonely existance without caravans from anyone. I dont know why. =/

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:44:16 am »

If they can't speak, they can't trade.
That's why.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 01:40:43 pm »

If they can't speak, they can't trade.
That's why.

I meant no attacks, no caravans, no nothing. This time I got an elven ambush (which was laughable), and a human seige (which would have been bad if not for crossbow bolts massacring the poor buggers. That heavy armor didnt do them any good).

Looks like the attacks trickle in nicely. I've yet to see my first Orc attack, but I cant wait :)