Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: !!☼Epicly amazing battles☼!!  (Read 4764 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!☼Epicly amazing battles☼!!
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:41:24 pm »

Man, I had to start this thread after seeing this fight. The scene: A 6 tile long, 3 tile wide bridge, connecting my fortress (dug into a shear rock face) on the east, and a dwarf-made peninsula that stretched all the way from a bowl in the cliffs, on the west. The peninsula has no ramps or stairs, it's just 6 tiles long, and nearly 30 wide, connecting to a large flat. The reason there is this shear face, is the brook, 7 or 8 z-levels below. Now, the fight! 4 recruits, standing on this bridge of death as sentries. Only one has any experience, and thats my hammer-dwarf in training, Fath Ironpants. When the ambush came, Fath bravely rushed in, and using only a copper hammer and leather buckler, knocked 3 of the 6 invaders off of the bridge, 2 macegoblins and an axegoblin. However, this is not the focal point. The real epic is my completely naked, no experience recruit that tackled 2 wrestler goblins and took them over the side of the bridge with him. As soon as I saw that blue-background dwarf disapear, I paused and had to walk away for a while. I came back after 5 minutes or so, and slowly started scrolling down the z-levels looking for my brave dwarf and the remains of his assailants. Looking at the brook top, I see hundreds of chunks and limbs, but only two corpses. Astounded, I slowly start panning up, thinking maybe he just hasn't fallen down yet. 1 z-level below the bridge, my lucky-ass dwarf is sitting on an innacessible ledge, grinning next to a bituminous coal wall that I'd never noticed before. I swear to Armok, my eyes watered as I imagined the events in my head. I used all that coal to smelt Urist "Blessed" a set of steel armor and a warhammer, for all to look at in awe when they hear his legend. Ten ambushes later, Urist is now a Legendary shield dwarf, and High master in hammer and armor use. He's going to be the first dwarf that receives the adamantine I've discovered.

Share yours too please, after you finish saying "hot damn".
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: !!☼Epicly amazing battles☼!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:55:04 pm »

The next fort I build will have this exact design, thanks to your story.

CANYONLANDS HOOOOOO
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:00:46 pm »

That's pretty epic.
Shoes...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »

Thanks Koji and Cthulu. One tip if you do that Koji, try to get sand too. I had a dining room on the level right above the brook, with gem and glass windows being installed, and an arm bounced up onto the floor.

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 03:20:16 pm »

I had a single nude recruit kill a few ambushes at the same time, before I could make him any weapons. One of the gobbos was limping away so I sent my recruit back into the fortress to retrieve his new iron axe. He then walked back outside and hit the gobbo so hard he exploded in gore. He now has over 50 kills and is a champion with full steel armor and a steel battle axe. He lost one of his fingers at some point but that doesn't bother him much. I do love this game.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 08:07:09 pm »

I posted these a while back.  The battlefield speaks wonder as to what transpired.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 08:15:54 pm »

Huge fort with 99 dwarves.
Then I accidently release magma into the living quarters
Soon it turns into dwarves killing dwarves, magma killing dwarves, and dwarves killing babies. 10 dwarves died to the magma
Then 69 died to eachother.
Only one military dwarf died because I made them and a miner flee, seal up the fort, and make a mini fort.
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 10:39:02 am »

I posted these a while back.  The battlefield speaks wonder as to what transpired.

How in the hell did a dwarf body get on the inaccessible side of the cave river?Blah, didn't see stairs.
And now I'm intrigued: What in the world are you building up at the top of the second pic?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 02:59:25 pm »

does 14 dwarfs, a goblin invasion of masive proportions (over 579 goblins), 12 kobold baby snatchers (who were baby snatched themselves by the goblins), a tentacle demon(king?), and two spirits of fire (dukes? Princes?) tell you anything? guese who won?

The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 03:22:51 pm »

How in the world did you get an invasion of over 579 goblins?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 03:41:05 pm »

This entire post happened over a period of about three years.

I had about 100 dwarves by the time the Skeletal Dragon came. I locked my doors, and a year later after I had built up a military, I lost only 10 military dwarves killing it and had no fire incidents.

Then a Titan came. I lost about 10 dwarves. Now I have 80 dwarves, but my military was *decimated* because I accidentally had my archers "off duty", then when I finally noticed, the archers came and attacked with wooden ammo... Eventually only three crossbowmen were left, and I decide to demilitarize all but the one who killed the titan. I decide I can't spare any peasants from their hauling jobs, so I just let the one marksman practice his skills on the range inside.

Then a Skeletal Titan came. I figured hey, no big deal, I'll just close my doors in case it gets through my seven rows of sawblade traps, and maybe in a year I'll have some military trained up. I tell my dwarves to come inside, and then I go and deal with some stuff inside my fortress for just a few seconds. I noticed a couple cancellation messages due to the Titan, and I think to myself, "Dammit. Who the fuck is still outside..." So I hit [u ] and find the Titan, only to discover it run with the speed of a heavily laden african trade wagon to my gates, tiptoed past all my traps, AND is about two steps past the doors which I hadn't locked yet. I lost 25 dwarves after I activated the entire fortress (minus my 10 prized forge/smelter workers), and killed it eventually.

That's all that happened.

Except for the Skeletal Dragon that came about one month directly after that!! I figured the same as with the Titan, that I'd just lock my doors and wait until I could build a military or come up with a plan. I have around 55 dwarves now. This time around, I actually lock my doors so that the dragon can't get in. Except I mod my dragons for flying, aaannnd... I forgot about a channel I dug incorrectly on the surface, and I had holes in the roof of my underground farm, which was connected to my fortress... needless to say, the dragon descended into my farms and lit the nearby seafood pile on fire. This time, I had to activate everyone right off the bat, including my forge/smelter workers... I lost 25 more dwarves before I realized my prized marksmen (two of them, who had each killed one of the Titans before) were both holding adamantium bolts, but were OFF DUTY! About eight adamantium bolts and one burning fortress later, the Skeletal Dragon was dead, and I had only eight workable dwarves left (28 dwarves counting nobles and a crap-ton of children). One of the eight "workable dwarves" refuses to rest and is about to die, and two others are resting, so really only five dwarves can perform labor.

That happened thirty minutes ago, and I've been cleaning up the body parts since. And to add insult to injury, between the time I started and finished writing this, I came under siege by 34 goblins. They won't be any trouble though, since I'll open my front doors and they'll make a bee-line for my traps.

I'm going to try to recover this fortress without having to reclaim... wish me luck. ;)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 03:51:06 pm »

How in the hell did a dwarf body get on the inaccessible side of the cave river?Blah, didn't see stairs.
And now I'm intrigued: What in the world are you building up at the top of the second pic?

Giant pump tower.  The wheels powered it and you can see the first pump in the second pic.  The shaft going to the right powers a quern.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 10:21:06 pm »

This entire post happened over a period of about three years.

This is a response to my own story two posts above this.

I cordoned off the burning 1/3 of my gigantic food stocks next to the farm, and forbid their usage, along with creating a 3-tile-wide empty space in between burning and non-burning stocks. One of my five able-bodied dwarves somehow managed to catch himself on fire (even after setting restricted traffic cost) and died. I found out that my nobles did SOME work, namely the cleaning of the traps after every goblin siege. That was actually useful.

Finally after about one full year of non-stop carrying of dwarf parts to the catacombs, I got some migrants, along with the in-game announcement: "Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb."

I now have 11 workable dwarves, and a crapton of nobles, including Baron, Baroness Consort, Baron Consort, another Baroness Consort... lol

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 12:09:50 am »

That Baron is a player and/or bisexual. Way to recover that fort though Laguna, Urist would cry tears of pride.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 12:44:19 am »

Most everything I posted in the Adventure Mode forum included an epic battle.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3