Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cliffs and versions of DF  (Read 1075 times)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Cliffs and versions of DF
« on: November 26, 2008, 05:27:41 am »

What was the last version of DF that had real cliffs? I am sick and tired of maps with absolutely no cliffs, natural walls, natural defenses and other cool random features. If anyone knows I'd really apreciate knowing. thanks.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Cliffs and versions of DF
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:54:26 am »

Go into the data/init folder in your dwarf fortress main file and open world_gen.txt

make [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:] and [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:] both equal 0 (zero)

repeat this on all [WORLD_GEN] lists to make it apply to every map you generate with parameters... And while you're there, set [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0] to equal 1 (one) so you can find those fun little hidey-holes fantastic creatures and megabeasts hide in, too.

[edit - this might not help by as much as altering other values could, but it does help somewhat]
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

talonv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:06:23 am »

Go into the data/init folder in your dwarf fortress main file and open world_gen.txt

make [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:] and [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:] both equal 0 (zero)

repeat this on all [WORLD_GEN] lists to make it apply to every map you generate with parameters... And while you're there, set [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0] to equal 1 (one) so you can find those fun little hidey-holes fantastic creatures and megabeasts hide in, too.

[edit - this might not help by as much as altering other values could, but it does help somewhat]

That method of restoring cliffs has been suggested a few times, but it doesn't work - it moves the ramps closer together, but the ramps are still there.

Toady really should make the player at least have the option to turn cliffs back on. It seems the last few updates have all been about Adventurer mode with either no change or an impedence to Dwarf mode.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 02:12:35 pm »

If I remember correctly the last version with working cliffs was in the early stages of 3d. So I would just look for those.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:22:02 pm »

No, they were quite recent actually. I think the last one was 39e or 38c.

Also, in the current version, rivers and major rivers occaisonally erode canyons with flat cliffs during worldgen. They usually don't get higher than 5 or so z-levels, and even then it's just because there's a hill in the way, but last week I found a relatively long canyon that was at least 12 levels high. And, being a major river, it was pretty wide, too. Only reason I didn't stay with it was all the fish were hell on my laptop's FPS.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:25:55 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:53:45 am »

Ooohhh I think I seem to remember a place I gened that had just about the steepest mountain you can (with sheer sections at some parts I think) that went very high, you guys want me to try and find it?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 11:11:35 am »

38c or quite possibly 39e were the most recent versions with actual cliffs.
And here's the thing: They were removed due to civs trying to make roads off them.
We don't want lemming-roads, do we?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

Natural cliffs are a myth.
Any cliffs you see in the real world were made by Dwarves (from Toady's pre-alpha beta test site: India).

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 07:05:30 am »

IMHO, cliffs in DF need to be created by some way other than the old way which left cliffs everywhere.

For example, simply making elevation able to change more severely will lead to some cliffs.

Adding more complex erosion effects. Water erodes things differently than wind, for example.

Allowing the pyramids which create mountains to have it's peak very near the pyramid's base edge occasionally will definitely create cliffs, with very gradual slopes leading away from them.