Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: !!☼Epicly amazing battles☼!!  (Read 4756 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!☼Epicly amazing battles☼!!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 12:45:45 am »

I now have 11 workable dwarves, and a crapton of nobles, including Baron, Baroness Consort, Baron Consort, another Baroness Consort... lol

Nobles will also harvest plants if you have everybody set to do so.

Also, did your baron actually bring 2 wives and a husband, or have you simply gone through a baron and a Baroness already?

As for my epic battle:

It was late Autum of 1067, and all was going well.  Tekkud Thimshurmebzuth Ekastakest Tastrod had just married Degel Berzuglar, and everybody was acting pretty happy.  Then the Frost Dragon, Slet Powercomets the Yell of Wildness arrived and made for the entry of FrozenLabors.

As he approached, the call went out for all experienced marksdwarves to take up position by the main entrance and all Melee fighters to stand outside.  Only my two swords-champion dwarves and an Axedwarf got there before the dragon.

As the dragon chased the dwarves around Keystone Cops style beyond the gate, the marksdwarves slowly took their positions.  When they arrived, the dragon had been knocked unconscious, but its wounds were minor, so they started pelting it with bolts.  Unfortunately, they quickly ran out, and ran, almost as one, out to bash the beast with their crossbows.

It was, perhaps, only their stubborness in assaulting the beast that saved the champions from ignoble death, for the beast was so harried that it could not truly target any of my dwarves individually.

After it coughed and wheezed for a while, it finally died of mangled lungs and heart.  Most things have the decency to die quickly when they lack heart and lungs, but this beast just kept fighting.

The two exceptions were that one of my Newlywed dwarves got her wrist mangled(in addition to her missing eye and bruised brain), and that my axedwarf was struck down.  Both happened after the Dragon was mortally wounded.

Edit:  And now I have a siege attacking.  I just hope I can get my champions re-armed properly quickly.(one of them was using a silver sword)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:50:47 am by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 01:12:03 am »

Also, did your baron actually bring 2 wives and a husband, or have you simply gone through a baron and a Baroness already?
I've gone through a Baron and Baroness already. And our civ ruler is also dead thanks to his military advisor who told him that those goblins sieging my fort were friendly ones, and so our king was slaughtered while trying to offer them some of his wife's dwarven cheese. Or maybe he died during the human war which lasted about a year. Humans sent a caravan to me and somehow their liaison died. Next year, instead of a human caravan, I got a huge human siege. The year after that, they sent a trade caravan w/wagons and also a peace offer. I accepted.

Edit: I just found ANOTHER tunnel I dug wrongly that leads to the surface! Yeesh. Hopefully I have all these hidden nooks and crannies all filled in now. The only way into and out of my fort should be through the six-wide hallway with a 6x7 set of traps that have two sawblades each.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:16:21 am by FFLaguna »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 05:44:21 am »

Two stories from one setting:

7 dwarves arrive on a gletscher (sp?) and start digging. Immediately they are beset by ice wolves. My dogs jump to the rescue, one is slaughtered immediately, but the other lures the wolves away from the dwarves, long enough for them to get safely inside their newly dug icepit. He died, but very honorable.

A few years later I am beset by a human siege (why I was blamed for a goblin killing their representative is beyond me). The first warrior out is my old, written-off, damaged-spine, continuously falling unconscious wrestler-armed-with-hammer known as "Urist barracks-bedridden". He yells, runs at the siege-party of about a dozen humans, sends three of them flying in quick succession in several directions, mushes a fourth in one blow, and sends a fifth flying into his comrades. The humans ran away even before the rest of my army got outside.

He got a really nice room and a lot of free beer after that.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 11:45:24 am »

How'd he do that without passing out? (Glacier btw for the English spelling).
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 12:16:49 pm »

How in the world did you get an invasion of over 579 goblins?

erm... i had 12 gobblin civs on the world, one dwarven one, one elven civ, two kobolds, and 3 human ones.

if they have over 18 towers per civ, you can get some massive sieges.

i can't find the seed, though. i believe i had tried world 879992349, name 129745788, and history 488929811, on a pocket width by large hight world, but i can't be sure. thats about 16 by 257 for the world size, but again, i can't be sure. other wise, it's exactly the same as a "pocket" world.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 01:20:21 pm »

I've posted this before, but since we're sharing--

I had a mason and an engraver who were best friends. One day, the mason built an artifact table that was just about the most bitchin table anyone ever saw. The engraver was so jazzed that he would constantly engrave images of his friend holding up the table for everyone to see, it was heartwarming.

One day, a goblin invasion came, and the mason was outside doing some hauling. He was the last one to get in (I called all the dwarves inside) and got caught in a hail of arrows. He and his dog went down, and he dragged himself a few sad paces before the axe goblins got to him.

The engraver went ballistic. He became enraged and charged back out with no weapons or armor, dodging a constant stream of arrows, and tackled the axe goblin and threw him into a murky pool, where he held him under until the bubbles stopped. He was approached by another axe goblin, who kindly asked him to stop before having both his arms ripped off. The dwarf threw the unconscious goblin to one side and rushed the bowmen, who scattered on his approach. Only one or two goblins escaped from the lone untrained engraver, and they were not in good shape.

The engraver went back inside, and immediately claimed a workshop. He crafted an amulet set with an image of a dwarf. The dwarf was raising a table.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 01:43:42 pm »

Damn, That is beyond epic! Man I love this game!
ho watches those that watch us???

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 02:25:15 pm »

Update on my story above:

"The dragon Ngotol Parcheddusts the Bones of Gold has come!" I have 26 workable dwarves now (up from 4, previously!). I'm going to call my dwarves inside, shut the six-wide hallway's doors, and pray to fricking armok that there are no HOLES in my fortress leading to the outside, because this flying, greatly strengthened (from raw editing) monstrosity will probably be the end of my fortress if that's the case.

Oh, and my Baron died inexplicably, so I have a Baroness Consort, Baron Consort, and Baroness Consort. When I get a replacement, I'll have another. Lol.

Edit: The dragon sat down on my trade depot and exploded some kittens, and the dragon burned to death! Hooray.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:31:29 pm by FFLaguna »

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 08:38:43 pm »

I got ANOTHER dragon, separate from the one below! So that's:
1x Skeletal Dragon
1x Skeletal Dragon
1x Skeletal Titan
1x Titan
1x Dragon
1x Dragon

Jesus christ!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 12:48:10 am »

Laguna's fort is either being designated for raping, or just incredibly lucky/unlucky.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 01:47:15 am »

I killed the dragon, but then I got bored with my fortress, so I stationed all my dwarves on a platform right above the magma tube. Here's a tile that resulted!

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 01:48:42 am »

And another! o_O

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 02:06:51 am »

I killed the dragon, but then I got bored with my fortress, so I stationed all my dwarves on a platform right above the magma tube. Here's a tile that resulted!

Can you recover the molten copper, or is it just something you see for a few seconds before it disappears into the magma flow?

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 02:59:37 am »

For a while until I goof'd and mined too much ice, I had a series of ponds/ one giant pond which served as a sort of barrier for my fort except in Winter.  Since crap was starting to build up in the bottom, and I was worried for drowning dwarves, I dug out a ramp into the pond.  My planning paid off, and it saved a AxeDwarf's life.

Several years later, that very same Axe-Dwarf is the first responder to a goblin ambush bearing across the 3x bridge choke point going across the water.

After murdering some goblins wholesale, and a few more dwarves show up, he manages to knock one goblin so hard he flies into the nearby pond, stunned.  Normally that would be the end of things, but no, not today.  What does my veteran AxeDwarf, one of the oldest soldiers in the fort, what does he do?

He leaps in after it, and proceeds to kill it 10 kinds of dead underwater.  Then he swims over to the ramp, and goes on with his day.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 06:06:40 am »

How'd he do that without passing out? (Glacier btw for the English spelling).

Thanks, glacier, keep forgetting that one.

He went into a "battle trance" or something, maybe that stopped him from passing out...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 [2] 3