Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wizard mode.  (Read 4145 times)

a124

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Wizard mode.
« on: November 26, 2008, 04:43:14 pm »

I was thinking it would be nice to have some sort of cheating mode where you could change various peoples skills or make them un-killable or something.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard mode.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:44:28 pm »

No. There's already ways around death, and you can get skill gain easily enough.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:42:49 pm »

I wouldn't shoot my mouth off before thinking it through were I you.  :P

I can easily see how someone might want to temporarily disable endgame amendments, or adjust a character's age (if not disable aging and/or death by aging outright), or other such things.  Or maybe someone just wants to cheat like a mofo and play Liberal Tank Squad or Purple Gorilla Squad or something.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:20:53 pm »

No. There's already ways around death, and you can get skill gain easily enough.
Last I checked you can't have a character cast "Liberal Resurrection" for 500 mana and bring someone back.
Please explain.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:22:45 pm »

I don't know how it is possible, but according to the code, there are debug modes out there that, among other things, disable endgame amendments.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 07:39:57 pm »

I don't know how it is possible, but according to the code, there are debug modes out there that, among other things, disable endgame amendments.

That requires compiling (which, if you check the current release thread, you'll notice I'm failing at atm, though that's unrelated).  Some people have neither the tools nor the skill to get the code to compile.  Furthermore, recompiling every time you want to toggle something like that would be a pain in the ass.

What the OP wants, I'm sure, is an in-game "wizard mode" (as seen in several roguelikes, such as Nethack).  Something powerful, convenient, and comprehensible to an ordinary user.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 07:50:35 pm »

Last I checked you can't have a character cast "Liberal Resurrection" for 500 mana and bring someone back.
Please explain.

Close the window before you reflect on your Conservative ineptitude, and then re-open the game. They'll be alive again.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 10:34:28 pm »

Please explain.

Close the window before you reflect on your Conservative ineptitude, and then re-open the game. They'll be alive again.
Thats not really a wizard-mode style work around, though. You still lose anything you stole, anybody you recruited, etc. while you were busy causing havoc.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 08:16:56 am »

Please explain.

"NO! Reflecting on my conservative ineptitude is conservative! I WILL NOT DO IT! MY LIBERAL POWERS GIVE ME SUPER TIME TRAVEL POWERS!"
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Gargantou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 03:51:19 pm »

Holy shit people actually die from age in LCS? That's fucking awesome! In all my time of playing I've never played long enough for people to die from old age..

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 04:44:20 pm »

I don't ever remember it happening myself. I wonder if I even tested it. I wonder if it works! Has ANYONE had people die of old age?

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 05:17:34 pm »

I don't ever remember it happening myself. I wonder if I even tested it. I wonder if it works! Has ANYONE had people die of old age?

It's probably never happened due to circumstance rather than a bug. I don't think many people make a point of recruiting retirees, and they're the only creatures that can start in old age.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 07:55:51 pm »

I've had musicians and nurses start in their sixties, so it's not just retirees. I'm going to recruit a lot more though, since they start out with lots more skills due to their old age. But I also like recruiting loads of teenagers for some reason. Probably because I like them growing up to become activists.

Dwarven Malcolite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kingomofloathing.com/login
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 11:12:30 pm »

I've had my Leader die of Old Age after I disbanded the squad once or twice, but I wouldn't know about whether they can die while playing.
he Jade Blizzard of Fury, an Enormous Cave Bone Corkscrew. Beware the Fury.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 12:19:20 am »

The game doesn't start killing off old people until they're in their seventies, which is what I meant by old age. Even though those nurses and musicians were pretty old, they weren't in danger of dropping dead yet.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.
Pages: [1] 2