Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FurnacePrides, the royal reclamation!  (Read 2459 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FurnacePrides, the royal reclamation!
« on: November 29, 2008, 01:42:22 pm »

I'm bit of a newbie to actual community games, but I've been thinking about one for awhile, and I may have found the perfect spot. Magma, HFS, underground and aboveground river, good soil layers and ore deposits too. The only problem was... it died. Just like that, someone fell into the magma. The mayor of near 60 dwarves, that had succesfully breached, plundered, and re-sealed the HFS. He just... died. And whoomp, tantrum spiral. I tried to reclaim, and it sent me out with 64 dwarves. But there were bugs, massive ones, and crashes every 20 minutes. So I did the sensible thing. Seed export, and all that, so I could play the site without needing a reclaim. I genned up the world, waited an extra 20 or so years in it to give a reasonable plot reason as to why there were no tunnels or anything (mountain collapse. Seriously, the z-level of where my fort had been has a flat plain of rock over it, whereas before it had 7+ z-levels above it). I used a certain program to cheat my embark party to have the same number of dwarves, and much of the same supplies. But, I used the embark page for skills so that I could actually have a *useful* embark party. I realise alot of early-game challenges will not be presented, and that that will make the story a little blander, But. I've never had past 60 some dwarves. FurnacePrides was the best fort I'd ever had. This time around, I'll last long enough for all the good stuff, nobles, economy, sieges. And I've never experienced those before, so it'll be fun to read about how I'll probably, oafishly, handle these things. So, without further ado, FurnacePrides.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FurnacePrides, the royal reclamation!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:42:46 pm »

The royal population counter-er says: There are 61 free dwarfs.

6 miner / mechanics
4 woodcutters/ carpenters
10 engraver-masons
2 weaponsmiths/pump operators
2 armorsmith/pump operators
2 woodburner/furnace operators
2 jewelers
9 assorted craftsdwarves
12 farmers
1 fishery worker
10 hammerdwarves.

I'd like to keep the mayor left alone, but if someone wants him I can easily change perspectives and take over a worker dwarf, and make appropriate story changes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:28:10 pm by sonerohi »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:43:08 pm »

Log of Zasit Atirbelal, stuffy old mayor, 16th Granite, Early Spring of 88, the first year of FurnacePrides.

As the miners sheared away the cliff face below our wagons, so as to make the entrance defensible, an interesting discovery was made. All 25 cats we embarked with all adopted one of our woodcutters, Momuz Nikottulon, and they all proceeded to spontaneously combust. As their appendages and other parts reached the point where the heat damaged the bone, that part would fly off like a goblin hit by a ☼steel hammer☼. Not to be outdone in the spectrum of anamolies, one of our miners named Thikut Babdodok gained legendary status in woodcutting. I never intend to let him use an axe, so the skill will be wasted, but this area is already starting to sow fear in the hearts of my men. I shall watch everything carefully, lest we be surprised by treachery and evil.

Log of Zasit Atirbelal, stuffy old mayor, 1st Slate, Mid-Spring of 88

I demanded an aluminum table in my dining room today. I don't care that there are no dining rooms, let alone one just for me, and I don't care that we're still digging out workshops and farms and stockpiles just to make sure we survive. I don't care that our forges aren't up, that we don't have aluminum, or anything like that. GAWD DAMMIT I WANT MY TABLE. Ugh, stupid workers. Why can't they see the importance of this?

Log of Zasit Atirbelal, stuffy old mayor, 26th Slate, Mid-Spring of 88

As progress continues, it appears that many of our dwarves have a mental discapacity. 4 dwarves are now saying that they are legends at woodcutting, without ever touching an axe! It's madness, even madder than one of our miners just stopping his work. He sat on the ground for nearly an hour, loudly proclaiming that "My name is INALUCT!!" before he got up and smashed his head against the wall as his new form of mining. He had to be forcibly persuaded to use his pick again, but I must say that his speed was much faster using his head. Hmmm...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:00:58 pm by sonerohi »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 02:22:43 pm »

Sign me up! :V

Name: Inaluct
Profession: Miner/Mechanic

If I'm a mechanic, I'll get to build the suicide booths for the nobles.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 02:56:23 pm »

Sign me up! :V

Name: Inaluct

If I'm a mechanic, I'll get to build the suicide booths for the nobles.

You're in luck, all 8 miners are also mechanics, and all 8 mechanics are also miners  ;).

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 03:02:55 pm »

Yay. I can join a community fortress early again.
Name: Kira
I'd prefer more miner then mechanic.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 03:08:20 pm »

Any gender preference? I can easily get you in the update, but I'd prefer a notice before I write and post it.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:14:30 pm »

Pick a gender, it doesn't matter. Maybe a personality that likes precious metal or really valuable gems. Something expensive.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 03:21:11 pm »

Name:  Mook
Profession:  Engraver/Mason
As for the specifics, I'm interested in a dwarf who has the personality traits "Organized" or "Self-disciplined".  Gender isn't too important.  If there aren't any engravers with these traits then maybe a stonecrafter.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

Alrighty then!

Log of Zasit Atirbelal, stuffy old mayor, 17th Felsite, Late-Spring of 88

These dwarves I command must simply be possessed by those that are legend to have roamed here only 20 years ago. After our miner crew broke through that last wall of basalt, something snapped. The rest of the dwarves mined into the peat and told the farmers it was ok to plant there, while one dwarf remained to the side, humming. As I had been overseeing this project personally, I saw it all myself. Tun Absamnish, a planter and friend of the humming miner, walked past to set up the plot and start planting. He said a flippant "Hello Urist" to the humming dwarf, and she slammed her pick so far into the wall her hand lodged a half a foot in. "It's Kira, not Urist, remember Tun?". She was giggling and happy after destroying that wall. I took the wall and how much I liked being alive into count when I changed her name to Kira on the official ledger.

Unrelated to mad miners, we now have a large pile of wood and crafts stored away, a large enough supply of food, and many gems that need cut and set. We dug out a room for the wells we intend to place, and I've started the designation orders for the shafts out to the river. We owe it alot, because it has provided us with turtles, and it seperates us from the wildlands. It makes a nice contrast to the landscape. A large mountain range, starting in the south-east and slowly curving up to the north-west, hammed in by a river that follows the same curve. And on the other side, a forest that is rumoured to be inhabited by the Faery magic, a joyous wilderness. I pray there be no unicorns.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 03:27:56 pm »

Dangit Mook, I missed your post while I was writing. I'll get you in this one though, so no worries. Still a laaaarrggeee amount of dwarves to claim everyone *hint hint*.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 03:43:56 pm »

Log of Zasit Atirbelal, stuffy old mayor, 6th Hematite, Early Summer of 88

We succesfully tapped the river two days ago, and it somehow took all 8 of our miners and an engraver down there to do it. The miners all saw the water rush down the tunnel and headed back to the ramps, but that crazy engraver ran down past the rapidly rising water, to tag a pillar that had been left un-mined due to safety reasons. He ran back up shortly after, soaking wet, screaming about "The mad Mook runs the corridor, tags the pillar, and the crowd goooeesss wiiiiiillllllddddd!!!". Freaking insane asylum is what I run here. At least the "legendary-never touched an axe-woodcutters" have stopped appearing after the fourth one. Gah, it sucks to be mayor.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 04:17:43 pm »

Log of Zasit Atirbelal, stuffy old trader, 8th Malachite, Mid-Summer of 88

Damn that Melbil and all his kin. A planter usurped my mayorship. He oh so graciously left me the hard work like managing job orders, bartering with the traders, and keeping records, and he wallows in the benefits. Like his mandate for bronze items. We don't have any freaking bronze, idiot. At least when I demanded aluminum it was to ummm... make the.. miners work faster. Not just to be a pighead glutton! But I ramble too much. I've processed the orders for 64 beds and 64 doors, the miners having carved out 64 rooms and "the bitchin rooms" that will be rotated amongst us pending on who is mayor. Not including the noble rooms, all rooms have had the stone emptied and half have been rubbed smooth by our engravers guild. That's right, guild. I decided shortly before being ousted of my role that all dwarves should be led by a single dwarf of that profession, both for the ease of holding meetings, and should we ever need a... last minute defence force. As I'm always going to be doing the real work behind the scenes, I am my own guild entirely.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 04:59:06 pm »

Log of Zasit Atirbelal, stuffy old mayor,  19th Galena, Late-Summer of 88

I fear I have not written nearly enough of our history in this journal, not near enough for my liking should soon-to-be events happen. Nearly 20 days ago, an armorsmith was possessed, and made "Smithbulbous the Swords of Symnetry". I've seen this smith, and while his stomach is rather bulbous, there is nothing very symetrical around here, and we have no swords. This only heightened the unrest that was caused by our engraver Mook's lovely renditions of goblins slaughtering elves and humans, and dwarves slaughtering goblins. He so nicely sprinkled those pleasant imageries about the wellroom, before running up to grab our new artifact, run to the creator, and beg him for a chance to ride down the central stairs on it. He exhibited some control in the form of pouting his way back to the forge, re-hanging the shield, and then sulking back to his room. The shield does no good for our fort, the smith gained no experience and it causes odd ideas. Like our proposed expedition to a nearby magma pipe, and attempting to lure out the inhabitants and slay them. It would work if we had experienced and well-disciplined marksmen, but we have 10 hammermen that are led by the most unruly dwarf I know.

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 05:39:56 pm »

I would like a craftsdwarf, preferably bone.
Name: Muno
Preferences: If any of your existing craftdwarfs happen to like any red stones, or anything red, I'll go for that.

What is Smithbulbous the Swords of Symmetry, then? You know, if it's not a sword? Edit: Oh, a shield. Ignore that last bit.
The use of violence is justified only under a tyranny which makes reforms without violence impossible, and should have only one aim, that is, to bring about a state of affairs which makes reforms without violence possible.
-- Karl Popper, The Open Society
Pages: [1] 2 3