Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Elf files - A study of the Elven Race's Crimes  (Read 5793 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: The Elf files - A study of the Elven Race's Crimes
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2008, 06:04:51 am »

Because you shouldn't KILL PEOPLE for being irritated about your habits. It's like you walk into a convenience store smoking and the shop sells tons of cigarrets, but the clerk says "*Coff* *coff* Put that fracking thing out! *coff*"

It's more like

You're a clerk in a convenience store selling a few kinds of cigarettes, and a chain-smoking, chainsaw smoking guy comes in and says he'll kill you if you keep selling them.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2008, 06:24:39 am »

Trees are an important resource for fortresses, they are only materials that beds and barrels can be made out of.

This seems to be a pretty common belief around here.  I hate to break it to you, but you can make barrels and bins out of metal.  Beds must be wooden.  A fortress without magma requires wood (or imported charcoal) for fuel.  Beyond that, wood is unnecessary.  Convenient.  Cheap, even.  But not necessary.

I should also note that metal barrels are superior to wooden ones.  Vermin have a harder time getting into metal barrels to eat your food (1d100 vs PENETRATEPOWER as opposed to 1d10 for wood -- search for Toady's post on the subject many months back if you like).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:27:03 am by Earthquake Damage »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2008, 10:34:55 am »

I don't get it! How can you even think about rooting for the elves?

THEY GOT NO FACIAL HAIR.

You don't trust folk without facial hair. Period.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2008, 02:36:07 pm »

???I usually don't have any skulls in the first year. And if I do, my bonecrafter is likely to have better things to do with his time.

I was just mentioning that there was stuff in the "bones" category that doesn't have better uses than being turned into a trade good.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2008, 04:52:31 pm »

Because you shouldn't KILL PEOPLE for being irritated about your habits."

We are DWARVES. We would kill people if they were standing too close to us when we were REALLY pissed off! We would kill them for our artistic visions of dwarf bone floodgates! Our nobility would order the execution of dozens because their meaningless demands for petty trinkets were not satisfied! And we, the Sovereign, would send them to their doom merely for our own entertainment!

And all you so-called dwarves are forgetting the number one reason for killing something:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2008, 04:56:01 pm »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

I like him, he's silly.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2008, 06:22:44 pm »

Trees are an important resource for fortresses, they are only materials that beds and barrels can be made out of.

This seems to be a pretty common belief around here.  I hate to break it to you, but you can make barrels and bins out of metal.  Beds must be wooden.  A fortress without magma requires wood (or imported charcoal) for fuel.  Beyond that, wood is unnecessary.  Convenient.  Cheap, even.  But not necessary.

I should also note that metal barrels are superior to wooden ones.  Vermin have a harder time getting into metal barrels to eat your food (1d100 vs PENETRATEPOWER as opposed to 1d10 for wood -- search for Toady's post on the subject many months back if you like).

That's what I get for pointlessly nitpicking every detail about the elves, I make one slightly errorous word and people will pointlessly nitpick at that :P

Anyway, try to make a fortress without beds and keep the dwarves happy, I dare you :P

The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2008, 06:55:57 pm »

Done. It's only one unhappy thought. Legendary dining room solves all problems.

Anyways, remember that dwarves don't have facial hair yet either. And there's no word on if elves will grow facial hair or not.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2008, 06:56:35 pm »

That's what I get for pointlessly nitpicking every detail about the elves, I make one slightly errorous word and people will pointlessly nitpick at that :P

Anyway, try to make a fortress without beds and keep the dwarves happy, I dare you :P

Time for a super-legendary barrack and super legendary dining room!

Oh, alternative: No sleep.

Edit: Ninja'd. Damn!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:02:44 pm by IndonesiaWarMinister »

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2008, 07:48:22 am »

Damn you Bay12! You win again!
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2008, 07:58:44 am »

"DF players: Coming up with solutions for problems that have yet to be implemented"

Multi-Legendary Quote

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2008, 05:59:45 pm »

your forgetting to explain why we shouldn't kill them for trying to run our fortress for us. they are hipocryts. they set us a limit for our logs while easily passing that limit themselves. and dont tell us that we dont need that many logs.
the elves seem to think so by bringing hundreds with them.
Hippycrites stopped being funny, if it ever was.  It was supposed to be a bad pun.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2008, 09:23:07 pm »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

I like him, he's silly.

Thats not the Demon we worship, thats the Demon that other demons worship!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]