Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: evolving dwarves  (Read 6684 times)

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
evolving dwarves
« on: March 13, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

dwarf fortress is close to my ideal game so I can't help but think of improvements

what if dwarfs could inherit traits from their parents?
make emotionality correlate with being stuck by strange moods. and then have every X amount of $ of work produced = a child. (reduced or increased by happiness of course)

after awhile you'd get dwarves perfectly adapted to your fortress, a constant stream of horrors or happy-time play shop.

(it would probably be needed to have the nobles breed separately from the useful folk.)

The great game of Warlocks!

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: evolving dwarves
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by winner:
<STRONG>dwarf fortress is close to my ideal game so I can't help but think of improvements

what if dwarfs could inherit traits from their parents?
make emotionality correlate with being stuck by strange moods. and then have every X amount of $ of work produced = a child. (reduced or increased by happiness of course)

after awhile you'd get dwarves perfectly adapted to your fortress, a constant stream of horrors or happy-time play shop.

(it would probably be needed to have the nobles breed separately from the useful folk.)</STRONG>

cool idea  :)

This is my ideal game as well...sept for the lack of a lot of stuff... but still the best game out there currently that i have found. No game can come close to touching DF, in my opinion.

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

I just realized I used ambiguous wording on one part

what I meant was that dwarves that aren't easily provoked to emotion shouldn't go into strange moods easily either.  this way there would be a drawback to having dwarfs that didn't care when thier whole family died

The great game of Warlocks!

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

The-Moon,

Those farming and mining skills were earned through experience.  The parents didn't have any bonus to those skills when they were children.  The more likely candidates for hereditary traits are things that you can see on the personality screen.

Miminini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:40:00 am »

But personality isn't a hereditary trait.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 03:41:00 am »

Indeed, unless withing Genetics, you also threw in "learning from parents" And so that "bonus" to their skills, is actually just because they were taught the ropes by their parents,  (During the child-stage obviously, though apprenticeships could be interesting.)

falsedan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 06:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by The-Moon:
<STRONG>Also a good idea, The children of the parents, would have better skill increases, of the skills from there parents?

So if a miner and a farmer have a baby together. The child would get bonus skill when he/she mines or farms.
</STRONG>

Say No to Lamarckian evolution!

I like the idea of dwarven offspring's personality being influenced by their parents personality

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 07:03:00 am »

In the game "Diggles: the Myth of Fenris" (US title), dwarven children would gain a small amount of the skills their parents had a great amount of experience in, as well as having a higher total skill cap.  So as your dwarves moved down through the generations, they would have higher and higher maximum amounts of learning, so they could attain mastery in three or more completely different subjects, when their ancestors could only have done so with one, as well as having the potential to spring from the womb already well-versed in the ways of carpentry or cooking.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

't would be more like apprenticeship, which would be better linked to a 'teaching' job. in which a person with the teach-job enabled occasionally tries to transfer some xp in one of his/her skills to an available child. (may require a classroom based on chairs or a table)

On the other hand, children from highly educated parents (independent of income) tend to end up highly educated as well. Maybe it's just a 'values thing' where children inherit the 'values education' trait from the parents, while lower educated parents deride education because they lack it themselves. (people are very good at cheating/lying, especially to themselves)
disclaimer: this is not true for all parent naturally, many low-edu parents value education and regret not attaining it, wanting their child to have it desperately many sacrifice alot to provide opportunity.

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: Areyar ]

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 10:45:00 am »

I think this is actually in the dev notes...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

jonnym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

Inheritance of skills is just not accurate, inhertance of physical characteristics such as toughness or strength would be more viable.

Or to intergrate the two the children should be able to inherit intellegence and find that dabbling-skilled requires less experiance depending on how intellegent the dwarf is, intellegence would level very very slowly maybe going up by only 1 exp per 100 exp earned through other skills.

Not sure how it would work needs expanding.... alot.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 12:02:00 pm »

BLOAT 32 WORKSHOP ASSIGNMENT, (Future): Permanent assignment to workshops. Can also set skill restrictions on shops, assign them to burrows or have a master-apprentice system over the workshops.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

I disagree with the arguments against "inheriting" skills from parents. I think the idea is wonderful.

Whereas we, the "modern" men, know that memory is not transfered via genetics, this was an accepted notion in the roughly analogous time period on Earth.

Secondly, as has been mentioned, the parents could teach the child (you're gonna be a pump operator, just like yer old dad!), and in the absence of parents (oops your folks mandated crystal glass...sorry kid) the community could push the child towards the trade.

An intelligence stat which reduces experience costs is not feasible, I believe. The stat would of course be gained via experience (like Might, agility and Toughness) leading your truly legendary dwarves into a ridiculous skill surge.

What I'd suggest is this:
*Importantly : this should be toggle-able on/off in the init file.
*When a dwarf child attains adulthood it gains a few (2-4)skills it's parents had developed.
*It should be somewhat random, but with a higher chance that it is also their higher skills.
*The skill list used should be the average of the two parents.
*There should be a max exp cap overall (I'd suggest 2500,  that's one attribute increase and the possibility of 4 novice, 2 No Label, 1 no Label + 2 Novice, or 1 Competent + 1 Novice...plus some dabblings). This puts Homegrown Dwarves just slightly ahead of immigrants.
*When picking skills, the system should determine how high the highest skill is (1-3 Novice to Competent) and buy said skill, then determine the next highest (1-2, but no higher than the first). These two picks are exclusive of social skills.  If there is enough xp left over to buy a novice it does so (even from a social skill), until it has less than 500 exp left. The remainder is divided evenly across ALL the skills the parents had.
*No labors start enabled.

The average dwarf would then have:
*a 1 in 3 chance of having a noticeable skill greater than an immigrant.
*Skills that likely do NOT match (dad was a jeweler, mom a fishwerdwarf - kid is No-label fisher and novice gem cutter)
*If both parents were of the same trade, the child will surely have at least some skill in it.
* A whole mess of dabbling skills, just like any other member of the community.
* A real lucky rolling might yield a competent useful dwarf
* A normal roll would be a pile of kobold droppings menacing with spikes of elf  snot

BTW - I'd never use this option - All my children are doomed to be peasent haulers  ;)...but I like working game mechanics... and telling everyone what I think they should do.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Othob Rithol:
<STRONG>Whereas we, the "modern" men, know that memory is not transfered via genetics, this was an accepted notion in the roughly analogous time period on Earth.</STRONG>

That didn't make it true.  Teaching makes sense, and is apparently a feature that just hasn't been added yet.  Lamarckian evolution is weird.  I'd really hate for my dwarf with a broken leg to give birth to a lame kid just because her leg didn't heal fast enough.