Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limited Blood  (Read 6446 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Limited Blood
« on: August 16, 2007, 04:53:00 am »

Hi!

I couldn't find a suggestion thread with this, so I figured I would bring it up in a new one.

I think there should be some limitations to blood smearing. I mean, yeah, those three goblin thieves that got sliced and diced by my weapon traps should make some nice red paint along the corridor, but having your main corridor and meeting hall turned all red by one or two vermin-type animals?

Personally, I would suggest that only pools of blood would be able to spread. Each pool should have a counter for its size, which is decreased by one for every smear spawned. Each time a pool smears, it can lose up to half its size in one go (if more than 1 is lost, a new pool of according size would be created).

Channels should stop blood smearing completely, absorbing an infinite amount of blood.

Well, that's just my idea on it.

Deathworks

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limited Blood
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 07:23:00 am »

One of the reasons blood looks like there's so much of it is the pigment in blood is one of the strongest natural dyes. It takes very little blood to make a whole lot of red, but that's an aside.

Personally I kinda like the way the rivers run red and the fortress is awash with blood after a fight, I feel it adds to the morbid setting of the game, but I see your point and understand why it might feel annoying to have half the fortress painted red. It does tend to get out of hand after a while.

With the introduction of depth, I'm guessing we'll see some fluid dynamics, if perhaps simple, which might let us build floor wells to deal with the problem.

Otherwise, perhaps one might introduce some levels of flooding between "none" and "flooded" that let you flush water over the floor to keep the blood and mud away?   :)

Not that hygiene seems a major concern for the dwarves. They only bathe when they get accidentally flooded by the river, causing me to think the fisherdwarves and farmers are the most cleanly of the dwarves.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

ooh, i like the idea of being able to flush out the fortress and wash everything clean.  there's already the light-blue ankle-deep waters of the seasonal flooding, maybe something could be developed to wash the floors and rinse all the little corpses away   :D
cause of unexplainable mischief

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »

at the least shouldn't it dry out eventually

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 04:32:00 am »

Hi!

Mickel: Just that we don't have a misunderstanding there. After a real fight with goblins, lizard men, or maybe after major food riots, the fortress should be painted red in my opinion. I agree that it adds a lot to the flavor and really gives a good feeling for what is going on there.

Ah! I forgot to mention in my idea that each creature should have a "bloodondeath" value which states how much blood it could release upon death. So, an elephant you kill will still create enough blood to color your whole main corridor, as will four or five goblin raiders, but two rats just won't be enough.

My main gripe are those things that seem really out of scale. I mean, near the end of a season, I regularly have my main corridors completely red, even though no violence occured in my fortress. This is just because of a handful of rats my cats killed and whose blood gets spread throughout the entire fortress.

Having channels stop blood spread is also a consideration because of the double engravings. Even if a room is far away from a fight or anything, there is still a good chance that blood will reach it from the other end of the fortress. This is why I think that especially recreation areas or tombs should be protectable against such excessive blood.

Deathworks

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 06:29:00 am »

in theory dwarves have a cleaning task that is supposed to get rid of things like that, broken arrows and stuff. However it doesnt work, so enjoy your red carpet!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 06:39:00 am »

Yea, I understood what you meant, I just sidetracked myself in my reply. It happens.

And yea, I agree, a dead rat painting the entire fortress red is way out of hand. A value to indicate how much blood is in someone might help. That way, everytime they bleed, that number decreases, and the blood splattered tile gets it's blood counter increased by the same amount. When someone walks in the blood splatter, some of it travels with them, similarly decreasing the blood in one area and increasing it in another until there's so little blood that it gets worn away instead.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 03:50:00 am »

Hi!

After some more goblins painted my entrance red, I noticed a dwarf carrying a barrel and then cleaning a 3x2 area next to a wall in one go.

The odd thing was, he was carrying a barrel of dwarven whiskey (I think, could have been some other alcohol). Did he use some of it to wash away the blood or did he actually ...... (^_^;;

Goblin blood - the dwarvish anti-freeze?

Deathworks

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 06:35:00 am »

But it does go away with a new season coming, at least for me. Or maybe it's a year. Anyway's, it dissapears and it's hardly because the dwarves are cleaning.
"It's unpossible!"

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »

The dwarves do clean things up when they have the time... But since it's one of the lower priority job (cleaning in job menu), they almost never do it unless you have a work shortage in your fort.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 06:43:00 am »

My dwarves clean fairly regularly, largely due to the above mentioned work shortage. Along with the seasonal removal, it usually takes care of mud and blood, but not as quickly as I'd like to.

What really annoys is the "mud/dirt" and "trampled dirt" tiles that you can't do anything about, as well as the saplings plants that can't be removed.

That's where you need a "clear" designation that would make the dwarf just remove them, and anything else blocking the tile, such as rocks, ores, and whatnot.

But I notice again I'm drifting from the subject.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 11:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>The dwarves do clean things up when they have the time... But since it's one of the lower priority job (cleaning in job menu), they almost never do it unless you have a work shortage in your fort.</STRONG>

I've had as many as 30 idle dwarves and a billion areas that could be Cleaned, yet none of them ever did.

I think it's even lower priority than Idle.