Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You know what I'd like to see?  (Read 988 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You know what I'd like to see?
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:11:42 am »

At some point later in the future Toady implement the ability to build upward and downward slopes. That way I could build a big twisty turny waterslide that ends with launching hapless dwarves into the side of a mountain.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You know what I'd like to see?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:21:30 am »

Isn't ramps sort of like upward/downward slopes? Or am I missing something?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 01:35:11 am »

I think he means more gradual slopes, over more than one square.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 01:41:46 am »

I mean something that is meant for moving liquids instead of dwarves. Unless the dwarves are in the liquid. I want it to go up AND down.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:27:37 pm »

Ramps work both ways, but DF's liquid dynamics are pretty well jury-rigged. Though it avoids Falling Sand Game-esque particle piling issues, it does so in a way that screws with flow and doesn't allow for momentum in traditional terms: full blocks of 7/7 liquid won't actually push anything because the blocks just kind of teleport around and liquids will fill up the bend in the pipe before continuing forward (meaning that it won't shoot dwarves or cats or whatever up), as cool as that would be.
A better suggestion for Toady would be an update to the physics engine, but there are other features people are more interested in.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:48:19 pm »

I just want to fling dwarves ok. It doesn't have to be a waterslide though. Maybe as a new form of dwarven punishment I can lock my hammerer in his room and build a giant railgun with a dwarf shaped opening in the back. Have the resident sheriff strap metal boots onto the sentenced and doomed dwarf and make him get in.

He'd probably punch a hole in the moon.

No no make it circular like a particle accelerator and smash two dwarves into each other. Total dwarfgasm

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:52:26 am »

No no make it circular like a particle accelerator and smash two dwarves into each other. Total dwarfgasm

Are you running for office? I'd vote for you.

Sounds like a good plan eventually. It just needs very elegant and easy solution, rather than a huge complicated one. Flows eat a ton of processor cycles as-is, so that's a bit scary.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 02:30:07 am »

For some reason I picture two dwarves fixated upright in this contraption spinning around and around grinning madly until they slam together forming a lump of dwarven meat putty. Maybe slam multiple dwarves together and use my mason to make a meat putty golem to wrestle a titan or maybe make meat putty roasts.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:56 am »

Your two best dwarf wrestlers send themselves flying into each other and combine to become Uristto, finally having enough strength to take on Majin Carp.

Also potentially, giant tangle of a dwarf beard golem. Strong as hell and almost formless but you can smell it from two miles away.