Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding diamonds via kimberlite  (Read 1553 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Finding diamonds via kimberlite
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:40:27 pm »

Hmmm. I'd like to see this part in DF.
Kimberlite pipes are created when magma bubbles up through a craton, expanding and cooling on its way up. If the craton has diamonds in it, the result is either a carrot-shaped, diamond-studded pipe reaching up to the surface or a wide, flat underground structure called a dike.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:54:37 pm »

Hmmm. I'd like to see this part in DF.
Kimberlite pipes are created when magma bubbles up through a craton, expanding and cooling on its way up. If the craton has diamonds in it, the result is either a carrot-shaped, diamond-studded pipe reaching up to the surface or a wide, flat underground structure called a dike.

Yeah more natural cave structures would be intriguing, (if that is how you spell that).
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:57:34 pm »

Indeed, current DF raws mean that you will only find diamonds inside Kimberlite veins. It's not great, but it's kinda realistic.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 04:02:45 pm »

I was referring to Kimberlite being either a carrot-shaped pipe or a flat blob, instead of a the vein it is now.

I guess I could mod it to be a blob instead of a vein, which would at least be slightly more realistic.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:45:28 am »

isn't kimberlite already a lode rock, like microline or magnetite?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 07:04:04 pm »

I was referring to Kimberlite being either a carrot-shaped pipe or a flat blob, instead of a the vein it is now.

I guess I could mod it to be a blob instead of a vein, which would at least be slightly more realistic.

Would be nice to see veins move in the z-axis, in a similar fashion to adamantine.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:23:53 am »

I think Toady once said that he had kimberlite pipes working at some point, but had to revert to the current system for whatever reasons. I suspect the current plan for underground diversity aims at least partially to fix those "whatever reasons" and we will have the pipes. And speaking of pipes, those should be made working too, I hate to carve channels and tunnels every time I need to move water somewhere.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India