Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: LCS 3.18.0 -- Baby, check out my Skill Sheet  (Read 16543 times)

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 3.18.0 -- Baby, check out my Skill Sheet
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 10:58:12 pm »

Well, I just had a helpful bug, but a bug nonetheless:

I was pumping my sleeper network using my psychology 10 founder using my normal system of alternating 2 days no sleep/food/water, one day with them, always talking.

Anyways, i got distracted by other stuff happening and stopped paying a great deal of attention to the hostage interrogation. Then when I went back to it I realised I had forgotten to give the hostage any food or water for 6 days. I'm pretty sure that even the toughest human couldn't go more then 3-4 days max without water. I was still happy that they had survived since they were some important person (cant remember which now) but it should be set so that regardless of health skill, leaving a hostage with no water for about 3 days will kill.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 12:01:27 am »

While six days is a long time to survive without water, it's not unreasonable that a particularly hearty individual might be alive on day six.  And your looking at more or less ideal survival conditions, the lack of food and being tied up means your metabolism is going to be cut dramatically and you'll probably end up sleeping through the worst of the dehydration.  Starvation takes more then 6 days to kill assuming you were eating well before.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 12:15:26 am »

While six days is a long time to survive without water, it's not unreasonable that a particularly hearty individual might be alive on day six.  And your looking at more or less ideal survival conditions, the lack of food and being tied up means your metabolism is going to be cut dramatically and you'll probably end up sleeping through the worst of the dehydration.  Starvation takes more then 6 days to kill assuming you were eating well before.

Sleep deprivation.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 12:17:14 am »

Lack of food can actually take up to 2 weeks under ideal conditions to kill someone.  Lack of sleep is actually fatal much sooner typically in under a week. Water you can last at most 7 days without drinking.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 12:39:01 am »

Actually, Beorn, looking at hunger strikers there are cases of people taking 40-60 days to die without consuming anything but water. If they're allowed even just salt in addition to water, it can easily stretch to 90-120 days.

But yeah, 3-5 days is probably as long as you'll last without water. True and total sleep deprivation is fairly horrific in its effects but will likely kill you a bit slower than dehydration - I've usually seen figures at 2 weeks (the record for time awake is in the 10-20 day range, but that's for trying to stay awake, not being forcibly deprived of sleep... and it's apparently kinda hard to verify even in lab conditions that they're staying awake every second of that time). Near-total sleep deprivation, on the hand, while also awful in its effects and very dramatic as a torture technique, is unlikely to be fatal at all (though it will very possibly leave permanent psychological damage).

Of course, the above figures are being thrown out in isolation. If someone was beaten (even just once), drugged, starved, dehydrated, and sleep deprived, seeing them dead in 3 days would be fairly unsurprising even if they were very fit.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 11:46:02 am »

Club security seems to be more cowardly, I can take them hostage and they run away from fights.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 11:59:03 am »

They've always been that way, because they aren't armed. Perhaps a high level of martial arts should allow them to be treated as if they're armed?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 12:36:10 pm »

Well, I imagine that club security would be about as cowardly as typical rent-a-cop security guards.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 01:17:28 pm »

I date kidnapped a lab tech at the nuke plant and when converted, they went to sleeper at the cosmetics lab.  It would be nice if people worked where you found them.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 01:45:31 pm »

That bug has been around since at least 3.12.0

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 02:21:19 pm »

I date kidnapped a lab tech at the nuke plant and when converted, they went to sleeper at the cosmetics lab.  It would be nice if people worked where you found them.

I never noticed that.  It makes sense for actors, crack heads at the police station, teenagers, and such.  But lab techs found at the nuke plant not working at the nuke plant is ridiculous.

UPDATE:
Apparently the problem is that lab techs and scientists do not have the nuke plant listed as a valid potential work location.  So when one is spawned and the game checks whether the current site is a valid work location (in which case it is set as their work location, thus they can become a sleeper there), it instead selects one from the "valid work site" list (in their case genetics & cosmetics).  The solution is pretty simple.  Just need to add two lines to the source code.

While searching the code for this, I stumbled across something that makes me twitch.  I've found similar loops before, but I finally decided to do something about it.  In particular, this bit of code in creature.cpp will, on rare occasions, result in very slow creature generation (in theory, it could loop infinitely):
Code: [Select]
      //PICK A TYPE OF WORK LOCATION
      do
      {
         cr.worklocation=LCSrandom(SITENUM);
      }while(!okaysite[cr.worklocation]);

I propose the following replacement (unless someone has a better idea, which is quite likely):
      //PICK A TYPE OF WORK LOCATION
      int numokay=0;
      for (int s=0;s<SITENUM;s++)
      {
         if (okaysite[s])
            numokay++;
      }
      int choose=LCSrandom(numokay);
      int final=-1;
      for (int s=0;s<SITENUM;s++)
      {
         if (okaysite[s])
            choose--;
         if (choose<0)
            final=s;
      }
      if (final==-1)
         cr.worklocation=SITE_RESIDENTIAL_SHELTER; // default
      else
         cr.worklocation=final;
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:25:10 pm by Earthquake Damage »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 03:48:11 pm »

After raiding the Desert Eagle Bar, I was chased by CSS members.  They caught several of my gang members, wrestled them to the ground and then turned them over to law enforcement like good honest law abiding citizens.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 03:57:12 pm »

Yes, it's just a matter of lab techs and eminent scientists being prohibited from working there. It does have people work where they're spawned if at all possible.

I propose the following replacement (unless someone has a better idea, which is quite likely):

Looks good to me, but you might take that a step further and split it into a separate multipurpose picking function.

// Picks a random option, based on the weights provided
int choose_one(const int * weight_list, int number_of_options, int default_value)
{
   int weight_total=0;
   int option;
   for (option=0;option<number_of_options;option++)
   {
      weight_total+=weight_list[option];
   }
   if(weight_total<1) return default_value; // No acceptable results; use default

int choose=LCSrandom(weight_total);
   for (option=0;option<number_of_options;option++)
   {
      choose -= weight_list[option];
      if(choose<0)break;
   }
   return option;
}

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 04:40:11 pm »

Looks good to me, but you might take that a step further and split it into a separate multipurpose picking function.

This is why I will never upload anything to the Sourceforge page.  Any cheap hack I throw together pales in comparison to something a real programmer thinks up.  :P

UPDATE:
I'd like to note that I am retarded.  I neglected to add "else cr.worklocation=final;" to my code block earlier.  It's fixed now.
UPDATE:
Fixed again.  I need some sleep.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:24:54 pm by Earthquake Damage »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 06:33:24 pm »

Could we get it so that if you order someone without spraypaint to do graffitti and have $20 in the bank, they'll automatically buy the paint?  It would reduce a lot of micromanaging.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12