Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smart as smelters  (Read 3333 times)

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smart as smelters
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

The smelter workshop is smart enough to know that you can't do anything there without fuel.  It seems like the metalcrafter should have the same ability.  In fact it would be handy if you couldn't assign any jobs if you didn't have the approrpiate raw materials.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smart as smelters
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

Why would that be handy? I frequently have two dwarves working together in my carpentry shop - one cutting down trees and the other taking those trees and turning them into goods. It's entirely possible for the former to be using the last available log to make one of a set of 8 barrels, and by the time he's done, another log is ready. Requiring everything to be ready ahead of time would seriously slow down my production.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

Perhaps, then we can have an indication that the required goods are not available, such as turning the orders dark gray. That way, you can see easily what jobs are possible immediately and what jobs are not yet available without having to go through the stocks screen or GASP "k"ing all over the fortress. I'd drink to that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

Not only does the smelter check for what you don't have (fuel) it checks for what you DO have (ore) so that you don't have to page through a bunch of alloys and metals to do something with gold, only to find that it's all been smelted into rose gold.

etc.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

+1..

When I run out of coke, I don't need to redo the orders for all eight of the forges and smithys that I use.

When I tell my dwarves to make tables, I don't want to queue it up and 'r' the order every time my woodcutter goes to sleep, a dwarf goes berserk, going outside is temporarily disabled, etc. etc. etc.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.