Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Skullcrusher Mountain - A Biodome Community Fortress  (Read 7674 times)

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skullcrusher Mountain - A Biodome Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 12:23:01 am »

I'll grab the Iden Alathgeshud guy for mine please.

I take it that by 'sealing ourselves in' you mean 'giving the proverbial finger and accompanying line starting with f to anyone who tries to enter, including migrants'. If so, Woot.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 01:06:34 am »

The legend of Skullcrusher Mountain and The Abyssal Town:

Rough beginnings:

Fed up with the ridiculous politics and mentally deficient nobility, one dwarf with a vision broke off to form her own civilization. Legolord, as she was called, led six other dwarves deep into the mountains. They would have kept going but the wagon shattered on a boulder. Legolord looked off into the distance, then smiled.
"This should do quite nicely. Yes, this is the mountain from which a new world shall be born!"
"But ma'am, I'm afraid there's no water to be found here. No trees. No life whatsoever!" Fireheart noted.
"Nonsense. We will find all we need here. Besides, would you rather carry the equipment the rest of the way?"
Fireheart stood silent. There was no way they could leave the mountain. This was their new home.

Legolord then ordered them to dig into the mountain. But more surprisingly they were then ordered to seal it shut.
"There is nothing left for us out there. Like the proud towercap, we will not only live exclusively underground, we shall flourish!"
And with that Skullcrusher Mountain was founded.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:14:43 am by Kate Wissen »
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 04:57:51 am »

They settled at the bottom of the mountain. A red sandy area that could sustain their crops. Everyone was sharing the labor, noone was restricted in their work. It would not always be like this, but back then it was all they could do to survive. Everyone was given some modest quarters, and the dining area was quite a sight to see. They decided that after all the necessities were taken care of everyone would start exploratory digging, in hopes of finding water or magma. Water would be first and foremost in importance, but finding magma would not be a disadvantage. Indeed anything of use that could be found was reported, but after the first year they had yet to find a single drop of water. The first year had passed and alas things were looking bleak. For with no source of water, they would have no source of timber. And without timber they would soon find themselves in trouble.

Couples:
Duke and Fireheart,
Kornash and Atelel,
Alburd and Imp

Everyone currently has most jobs enabled, as it's not productive enough of a site if there are people standing around. Mostly we need everyone mining currently. As a non-aquifer, underground watersouce will give us towercaps, a must for long term survival.

Legolord you have your choice of titles that sound mad/evil - Evil Genius, Mad Scientist, or some combination there of.

I think everyone knows where this is leading to, the Evil/mad genius/scientist will be breeding you all as henchmen. Good luck henchmen. Let's hope you aren't wearing rope reed or redroot dyed shirts!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 05:06:24 am »

No migrants then?
Judging from my latest fortress, I doubt I could ever survive this challange.
Your worst enemies will be unhappy dwarves that tantrum, and mangled body parts will put dwarves out of commision for years.

You will need that legendary dining room.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 07:33:56 pm »

Seasons passed as the search for water continued. A magma pipe was found, but quickly sealed back up as the creatures that started to pour forth from it would have laid waste to their plans. Then one day Imp came back from her mining duty with a smile on her face. She reported that she had not only found water, but a lovely waterfall!

An underground waterfall? As odd as it sounded it was the truth. Water from an underground river was falling from a spectacular height. The river itself was 19 stories up and fell for at least another 13 stories into a bottomless pit! Truly fortune was shining upon them that day. They had found almost everything they could possibly ask for. The challenge that then laid before them was how to deal with the creatures that stirred within each of these. The creatures of the river were solving the problem on their own as one after another they fell into the deep abyss. The true problem lay with the eradication of the denizens of the magma pipe. A consensus was raised that if they were to directly assault these creatures it would not end well. So they would have to devise a way to exterminate these creatures without going head to head with them.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 07:50:55 pm »

How about a Mad Genius?  I don't think I've even seen one of those before (on TV, obviously).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 08:37:38 pm »

Oh damn...I would have gladly joined this but it's too late. >:

Propositions: Form the meeting hall or statue garden by the waterfall.
Seal off the magma pipe with fortifications and station a marksdwarf nearby at all times to take the creatures out as they pop up. (Get their maskdwarfship up beforehand to at least competent, of course.)

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 09:01:18 pm »

There will be children, so keep watching. Given that we have 3 sets of lovey dovey dwarves going on the second year. Expect the first group within the week.

Also I give everyone a bit of forewarning, I plan on doing a special holiday community fortress for the week of christmas. Starting on the 21st and ending on the 27th. Feel free to join up on that one as well once it's started. This one will be put on hiatus for that week.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 09:07:02 pm »

Sign me up for the first born male child of the fortress.  :P

Cles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 11:10:55 pm »

I'll have the one after that, whatever gender. I'll decide on skills and such once it's grown up.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 12:21:40 am »

You will end up with far FAR more kids than productive adults after two about three years.

But, it's a fun challenge nonethless.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 05:39:40 am »

It had taken them nearly five years, but they succeeded in creating an underground ecosystem, complete with it's own waterfall. With that project done they then turned their attention to the magma pit. In truth all they needed for the time being was access to the magma without fear of injury. So their best bet was to isolate some magma. The plan was now to dig a channel allowing the magma to flow and then seal it off from the pipe with some water. A sound plan, but it still needed some fine tuning and a fair amount of work still lay ahead.

It's now year 15, (that's 5 years in.) I stopped the use of the dining area as a meeting hall because everyone was attending parties rather than working. Obviously detrimental to such a delicate fortress. But now that the plant biome is complete (more or less) they deserve a little break while I get ready for the next step in the fortress's evolution.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 10:08:57 am »

A fine balancing act between unhappiness and partying all night long. Beware!

Any towercaps yet?

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 04:48:50 pm »

Actually a few sprung up from around the area where it splashed up while I was putting in the hatches. The basic plan for the room is the bottomless pit is covered with hatches that are mechanically operated. As I was placing the hatches where the water falls the water splashed up, and apparently I took so long removing all the stone from the room that it grew a few towercaps in that area.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 06:11:27 pm »

Sweet. That solves some problems right there, hm?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4