Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Randomized Civ Traits  (Read 696 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Randomized Civ Traits
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:26:54 am »

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems that the various civs don't have much potential for being outstandingly different. While elves have their quirks, they are unique and unreproducable. Likewise, all human and dwarven civs are different in name only, and perhaps some minor variation in goods offered.

I would like to propose a set of suggestions aimed at making civs less uniform; the idea is to add a larger set of different distinct traits, and then make the traits a civ possesses partially random.

Code: [Select]
[TRAIT_SET_1]
        [TRAIT:creature1:25]
        [TRAIT:creature2:25]
        [TRAIT:creature3:25]
[TRAIT_SET_2]
        [TRAIT_A:50]
        [TRAIT_B:50]

The above would be the format for making a civ's traits random; in each set, only one would be used for a civ, defined by the numbers as a random chance. The first would choose one of three creatures for use by a creature-related trait, or none at all; the second would make a civ always use one trait or its opposite.

The traits themselves are up to Toady, but I would reccomend that they be as exclusive and defining as possible; settings for restricted use of plants, animals, traded goods, etc. would be great to make sure that civs are less generic.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:47:19 am by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Randomized Civ Traits
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:03:20 am »

Are you suggesting something like having multiple humans civilizations, of which, for example, one worships via human sacrifice, and another does not and is vegatarian? Stuff like that?

This sounds like giving more options in the ethics tags.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:24:19 am »

Civs restricting goods randomly just sounds irritating. I could see things like polygamy, slavery and the status of women being varied and changing with time, same with building materials and preferred clothing. Humans moving from wooden villages to sprawling marble block cities with actual walls and watch towers. Anything to combat the medieval stasis

Then again, all the men would probably die in the elven tide every single time the dice determines that particular civ doesn't allow female soldiers. The system isn't stable & smart enough to handle any critical decisions

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 10:42:43 am »

Are you suggesting something like having multiple humans civilizations, of which, for example, one worships via human sacrifice, and another does not and is vegatarian? Stuff like that?

This sounds like giving more options in the ethics tags.

Yeah, if I understood correctly...he has suggested something like that indeed.
I don't see any problems with the suggestion...randomization is always a good thing, if it's within reasonable limits.  :)