Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ENTITIES and BIOMES  (Read 1222 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
ENTITIES and BIOMES
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:15:24 am »

Hello and welcome to my thread.
Herein I ask a number of questions regarding these items.

Let us begin with the following parameter set:

[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAND:10]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:GLACIER:0]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:TUNDRA:0]

My initial question is exactly what the number on the end means. From my observations, it appears to be a weighted method of determining in which direction a race is supposed to expand. In my observations, however, it also seems that only the highest number is paid significant attention to. although I may just be doing it wrong.
What I think is happening here, and I would like confirmation on this, is that all LAND biomes are set to 10, and glacier and tundra are then set to 0, overwriting the initial 10 for their special cases.

If this is true, then how about the following?
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:GLACIER:0]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:TUNDRA:0]
In this case it would seem reasonable, but I would like confirmation on this, that the glacier and tundra settings are overwritten by ANY_LAND, meaning all LAND is set to 10.

Now, let us take Elves for example for a moment.
Elves dwell in the forests. This is their parameter set.
   [START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:5]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:7]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:5]

The thing is, this also seems to occassionally block them from engaging enemies unless the enemy interlopes upon their woodland homes. I can't verify this, it's just what I've observed when looking through worldgen. I assume this is due to their lack of extensive biome support.
My question here is that if I alter this to:
   [START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAND:0]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:5]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:7]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:5]
Will the following occur? I assume that all land should now be accessible for them. They should still remain true to settling in their intended areas. Alternatively, does a value of 0 also prevent them from travelling across these regions?

Finally, there seems to be an issue with [START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
It seems that any race starting in the mountains will only settle mountain tiles. They may still conquer other territory, but it appears they may only settle in mountain squares. This occurs no matter what their other biome preferences are. I'm not sure if this is intended, however. I can't imagine that it is, though, given the ease in which it is possible to make this happen simply by limiting the other alternative biomes to mountain.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: ENTITIES and BIOMES
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:50:56 am »

Yeah, the number after the biome controls the spread speed of the frontier during world generation.  Near a site (one of those civish 5x5s with the corners cut out), it also controls the maximum population -- you add up the support near the site.  There are modifiers based on evil/good and savagery as well as nearby sites.

Yeah, in the first example, the zeros override, and in the second, the 10s override.  0 is the min, 10 is the max.

Adding ANY_LAND 0 won't impact anything as the starting value is 0 for all BIOME_SUPPORTs.  Start biome determines where actual settlements can be placed, as well as world gen battle defensive adjustments.  Did you try setting it to 1?  START_BIOME should still limit them to staying in the forests, but their territories should expand, causing more wars maybe, if that's what you wanted.  Not sure though.

There are extra considerations for mountain starters that it takes into consideration (to make sure you can walk to the tile), but it doesn't look like they'd impact anything else, so I'm not sure what's up there.  I'd have to test it out to catch it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:31:23 am »

Gasp! A Toady!

If I may pose a follow-up question; I've been dying to try to make a "Genghis Kahn" effect where one civilization expands rapaciously across the entire world. However, with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN][liKES_FIGHTING] (can only war), and the following ENTITY data:
Code: [Select]
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:DARK_FORTRESS]
[LIKES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]
[TOLERATES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:RUIN]
[TOLERATES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[CAN_HAVE_MILITARY_SITE_LEADER]
[START_BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND]
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1]
[START_GROUP_NUMBER:20]
[MAX_POP_NUMBER:2000000]
[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:240]

...they still either stop fairly early, or don't expand beyond their second site - even when completely unopposed by enemy civs.

The question; are there hidden factors to worldgen expansion, or is it horrible luck?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 08:08:11 am »

Yeah, the number after the biome controls the spread speed of the frontier during world generation.  Near a site (one of those civish 5x5s with the corners cut out), it also controls the maximum population -- you add up the support near the site.  There are modifiers based on evil/good and savagery as well as nearby sites.

Yeah, in the first example, the zeros override, and in the second, the 10s override.  0 is the min, 10 is the max.

Adding ANY_LAND 0 won't impact anything as the starting value is 0 for all BIOME_SUPPORTs.  Start biome determines where actual settlements can be placed, as well as world gen battle defensive adjustments.  Did you try setting it to 1?  START_BIOME should still limit them to staying in the forests, but their territories should expand, causing more wars maybe, if that's what you wanted.  Not sure though.

There are extra considerations for mountain starters that it takes into consideration (to make sure you can walk to the tile), but it doesn't look like they'd impact anything else, so I'm not sure what's up there.  I'd have to test it out to catch it.

That's extremely helpful. Thanks!
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 01:49:14 pm »

You have to make sure that their [liKES] [TOLERATES] city sites are those that you want them to conquer as well, otherwise they'll crush cities and leave ruins, but not expand.